Klonopin safety

So I'm having a debate with my pdoc at the moment.  I'm currently taking .5mg of Klonopin as needed and I get 15 tablets a month.  This is a recent switch and he told me to take .5-1mg.  Well, I did that, and 1mg is a hell of a lot better than .5mg.  So I asked him if we could bump my scrip up to 15 1mg tablets a month.  He really doesn't like this idea and seems to think it's fraught with peril.

So I guess I'm asking for a little education on this issue.  Just judging from what people take around here, 15 1mg tablets of Klonopin a month seems like a pretty small amount to me, but that's just my impression from the bipolar forum, which seems to favor Klonopin.  I *was* taking 1-2mg of Ativan, which was almost like taking candy, it did so little.  .5mg IS an improvement, but 1mg is so much better.  Is taking that much really as much of a big deal as he says it is, or does he just need to be otherwise educated?  He's no dummy, he's been doing this for a while.  It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me to take 15mg of Klonopin spread out over an entire month.

He told me to read the Wikipedia page on benzos to get us on the same page for when we talk face-to-face, but I'd like to read some other stuff as well, preferably something that supports my position, but contradictory information is necessary too to make sure I'm getting the whole picture.  Any experience any of you have with Klonopin and its dosing would be helpful.

I take .5 mg of Klonopin twice a day and 1 mg at night.  My pdoc's feeling on this is "if it works, do it".  But as Ceremony said, many pdocs are much more conservative with benzos and it sounds like yours is one them.  I can understand why he wouldn't want to continuously increase your amount of klonopin, but you are asking for a one-time deal.

The amount you are taking is low, but that isn't the only thing to consider.

Your pdoc's concern probably is potential to build up tolerance with a continual need for more to achieve the same benefit.

If I was your doctor, I would want to know whether the .5mg used to work and now is not as effective, or if it never worked that great. If it never worked that well, I'd be okay with the higher dose. Since you used Ativan before, that's a factor, too, in that it is the same class of med. If the Ativan-Klon equivalent used to work but now doesn't, you are building a tolerance, and that may be his concern.

The amount you are taking is low, but that isn't the only thing to consider.

Your pdoc's concern probably is potential to build up tolerance with a continual need for more to achieve the same benefit.

If I was your doctor, I would want to know whether the .5mg used to work and now is not as effective, or if it never worked that great. If it never worked that well, I'd be okay with the higher dose. Since you used Ativan before, that's a factor, too, in that it is the same class of med. If the Ativan-Klon equivalent used to work but now doesn't, you are building a tolerance, and that may be his concern.

I'll have to ask him.  However, this isn't a ramp-up due to tolerance buildup, it's an increase to address an existing lessened effectiveness.  I was on 15 tabs of 1mg Ativan for three years and the only reason I ever increased that dosage was because it was never that effective to begin with.  The Klonopin IS more effective, quite a bit so, which is why I'm so keen to have a dosage that's actually effective.

Well, he wouldn't go for it, not even after I sent him some links supporting my position.  Said he was "not willing or able", so I'm guessing he has some kind of restriction on how much he can prescribe of certain things.  He also very politely told me in not so many words that if I didn't like it I was free to try and find someone else in a town where it's already hard to find someone who will prescribe benzos of any level on a long-term basis.

I've only been on it a month. I combine it with Haldol to put a damper on violently agitated and angry episodes.  I'll have to see if what i'm getting is sufficient to cover everything I need it to.  I can take 1mg if I want to: I'll just run out sooner.  If it becomes a problem I'll have to find something else I can combine with the Haldol that's as effective at shutting down those angry episodes.  It has to be something with some oomph though.  I've tried propranolol and gabapentin and they were like taking nothing.

Was he as snippy as the story makes it sound?

Maybe a little, but not really.  He sounded a little like he was used to arguing with his patients about benzos, or meds in general.  We've always gotten along really well.  This is the first time we've had a conflict in almost 4 years of treatment.