CrazyBoards.org

So, I have been on Seroquel (150mg) for the past... 6-8 months, in the hope it would help with the depressed side of bipolar 2. Let's just say it did not work, I lost the hypomania (too bad that was the times that 'compensated' for the depressed times). 

So, they are thinking about switching me to Latuda... but I am unsure (partly because the gdoc who prescribed it is rather ... unknowledgeable about psych meds), and I could not find much evidence online supporting this use of Latuda.

(My depression is not psychotic, it's... just depressed). 

Anyone tried that? 

Anyone has any facts or something? 

It is approved in the US for the treatment of bipolar depression.

I have seen that, but someone told me it was only psychotic depression? 

(and anyone actually had some success with it?)

I have been on Latuda 60mg for 3 years. I was put on it to deal with the depression, and for me it works wonderfully. It pretty much knocked out my depression. I still had some motivation issues, so I also take Lamictal 150mg. Between the two, I have 0 depression and haven't for about 2 years now. I hope it works for you, but it is approved for Bipolar II depression, there are even commercials for it.

You do have to take it with 350 calories for it to be effective. I was told by my psych and my pharmacist that if I wasn't going to eat with it, not to bother taking it at all. I will take it with dinner because it makes me sleepy about 2 hours after taking it. If I eat an early dinner (I don't want to go to sleep at 8pm if I eat at 6pm) I will take it with an Ensure Plus. It's 350 calories and does the job.

It works great for my depression! I just got diagnosed with Bipolar 2. I've been considered Major Depressive in the past.

It's still ramping up, but it is working really well for my depression. I'm BP I, and do not have psychotic depressions. Eating the calories at the right time are the biggest problem. As others have said, it is on label for treatment of bipolar depression.

Thank you! It does give me some hope. I am actually afraid by how much I want it to work, and to help at least a little! I will get it on Monday :)

Just as a side note, it did take about 2 months before I started to notice a difference and it was gradual, not overnight, so do give it some time to work.

I take Latuda.  For the most part it doesn't seem like I am taking any drug.  The only side effect I experience is a bit of Somnolence.  I notice subtle antidepressant properties, but that might be the effect of a self-fullfilling prophecy.  That is, since my PDOC told me that it has antidepressant effects, I am looking for them and noticing them (though the effect might just be a placebo one).

It is approved as a whole for the depressive episodes associated with Bipolar Disorder (officially, Bipolar I Disorder). There is no specific provision for only psychotic depressions.

A lot of people report that Latuda helps their depression immensely. 

Thanks! I"ll try to be patient, but I so so want it to work... (depression is no fun)

I started on Latuda for psychosis, but it has helped with my non-psychotic depression.  And I've upped the dosage when I went through a regular depressive episode, it took about a week, and then the depression lifted like magic.  I hope it helps you.  

Thanks! I"ll try to be patient, but I so so want it to work... (depression is no fun)

No fun at all  :closedeyes:

I'm weening off Seroquel XR in preparation to start Latuda. Seroquel stabilized me and pulled me out of a suicidal depression, but now I'm in the market for something with less side effects. I really want it to work, too, so I feel your pain.

It has official label use for bipolar depression, but it has never helped me with depression just psychosis. Wellbutrin, although not perfect, has helped me loads more than Latuda. YMMV

Edited by Equivilency

I've been on 40mg  for two months and I feel like it only helped with slightly with depression. I did like the side effects much better than lithium. I only notice a slight uptick in fatigue if anything. I more recently added wellbutrin on top of it. To those of you who've found it very helpful for depression, do you think upping the dose could make it work better for that?

I just started taking Latuda as well, and recently increased the dose to 60 mg/day, and my new pdoc will increase it to 80 mg in a few weeks. I haven't been sure about taking it because my eating schedule is really irregular, and I usually can't take it at the same time every day (I work nights, I sleep during the day at various times). But my pdoc wants to take me off Zoloft because it's not helpful for my BP II depression, and I'm on a really low dose that's probably not doing much anyway.

I'm glad to see that it's helped others with bipolar depression because changing meds always makes me feel a bit like a human guinea pig...

Has anyone noticed weight gain with this med? 

I've moved up from 20 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg to staying steady at 80mg of Latuda for severe bipolar depression. It has been two or three months now. I noticed it cutting through my depression about two months in when I stabilized on the 80mg dosage.

This hasn't been long at all but I haven't picked up any pounds. Pdoc says its weight neutral. I keep reading that its weight neutral.

The only side effect I've had are those crazy panic attacks that were mentioned above, but once I skipped from 40 to 80 the panic has pretty much stopped.

Wish you all success with this!

I have been taking Latuda for bipolar depression since around February 2013. It has made a massive difference in my quality of life. I started at 40mg with dinner. At this dose, I had pretty immediate improvements in somnolence and cognitive dysfunction. I was able to think clearly and wake up in the mornings. Gradually, I became more motivated and eventually I was able to return to the workforce after some time spent on SSDI. When I went back to work, I needed a little boost in motivation so my pdoc increased my dosage to 60mg with dinner. That worked well for a while, and then I had a minor incident of hypomania, so we increased again to 80mg. I find that 80mg is more sedating but also seems to keep my mood on a more even keel. Latuda is the only thing that I am taking for mood stabilization, and it works really well for me. I don't think you could pay me to stop taking it. I feel so much better on Latuda than I ever felt before medication or on other meds. I still have some things to work on, so it isn't a panacea, but it has helped me immensely and I am incredibly grateful for this drug. 

inabook, I hope it works for you. Good luck.