CrazyBoards.org

I am not exactly sure when it started, but I feel like my memory has been greatly affected by something.  I am currently in an IOP program and have been for over a month.  I am feeling a lot better emotionally, but this memory issue is still bothering me.  I have trouble recalling things I should know right away.  It's like my brain is running slow.  Just a little bit ago, I couldn't think of the last actress I had a crush on, when I should have known that right away.  It feels like if my brain was a maze, it is taking the long route to get to the destination.  My current meds are listed in my signature.  I started the Lexapro in September and doubled the dose to 30mg October 3rd.  That is the most recent med I am on.

I can't speak to the specific meds you're on, but I can say that my own memory has been fried along the way.  It's a combination of my BP and my med cocktail, and it's incredibly frustrating.  I get by at work by writing everything down in special notebooks that I have for that purpose (I even have to do it for phonecalls).  For home and other day-to-day things that I'm worried I'll forget I either set alarms or make notes on my cellphone, or put things in writing in another book.  Using different colours for different levels of importance helps too. 

Have you thought about taking measures like these to keep track of everything for yourself?

I'm not bad about remembering things I have to do, so much as I have trouble recalling little things that I used to know right away.  When I speak to people, I notice that I take a long time to formulate thoughts and then actually verbalize them.  I take really long breaks in between words and phrases when I speak because I'm trying to figure out what I'm trying to convey.

Do you go through a list of words that *almost* sound the same? I do that. "He went exceptionally, I mean excessively, early."

I've always done that.  I once used the word exhume when I meant exude.  Lately I have noticed that I have been having trouble figuring out which word to use like except/accept and affect/effect when I used to know right away which one to use.  I have always been good with words (well written) so as a writer it frustrates me that I can't use grammar the way I used to.

I don't have much advice, except that I use a lot of post-it notes.  My short-term memory has gotten significantly bad, so I write down things all the time.  Sometimes I can't remember one thing from the next.  Like everything goes in one ear and out another, even though I am trying hard to pay attention and remember. 

I also can relate to using the wrong word, ie washing machine when I mean dishwasher.  Or raspberries instead of strawberries.

I do the same thing. I think everyone around me is used to my brain farts. Happened like 5 times today and then like 5 more times where I used the wrong word. Maybe you could take some time to respond? Like let your thought arrive and then respond. I notice it happens more when I try to respond to quickly. I have to pace myself, let the thought or words arrive and then say them. 

If it is a simple word that I mix up, I just say to the other person, "I must be tired or something!  I can't even think of the right words to say today."  It is frustrating, you are right.

Topamax was the med that took the initial shit on my word recall ability, and then Lamictal came along and kicked it while it was down. Strangely, and I say "strangely" because as far as I know this isn't a common side effect, Lexapro, which I was on for about two years, delivered the coup de grace to my poor battered language centers. When I went off it and started taking Cymbalta instead I noticed a distinct improvement in how fluidly I was (am, in fact) able to speak, and I write better as well. And the highest dose of Lexapro I was ever on was 15 mgs.

My memory has gone to shit as well.  It has been especially difficult for me because I used to have a superb memory, and the loss is huge.  I think it's a product of the illness, not of the meds.  but even if it is from the meds, I can't stop taking them.

Topamax was the med that took the initial shit on my word recall ability, and then Lamictal came along and kicked it while it was down. Strangely, and I say "strangely" because as far as I know this isn't a common side effect, Lexapro, which I was on for about two years, delivered the coup de grace to my poor battered language centers. When I went off it and started taking Cymbalta instead I noticed a distinct improvement in how fluidly I was (am, in fact) able to speak, and I write better as well. And the highest dose of Lexapro I was ever on was 15 mgs.

I was on Topamax last year for OCD but I went off it because my memory problems were really bad and it was scaring me.

My memory has gone to shit as well.  It has been especially difficult for me because I used to have a superb memory, and the loss is huge.  I think it's a product of the illness, not of the meds.  but even if it is from the meds, I can't stop taking them.

My short term is much worse than my long-term memory now.  I think it is more the meds than the illness, but either way, I can't stop taking them either.  Although it could be from the illness maybe, if you think of it like you have the illness which you need meds for.  So both the meds and illness could be involved.  Just a thought.

I also have a dreadful memory. I could go from living room to kitchen which is about a 5 second walk and by the time I get there I have completely forgotten what I wanted to get. This is only one example.

I also wrongly name things like saying I must empty the tumble dryer meaning the dishwasher.

I also have total mind blanks mid sentence. I have a white board in my room to remember appointments, however that is not my biggest problem.

I also have a dreadful memory. I could go from living room to kitchen which is about a 5 second walk and by the time I get there I have completely forgotten what I wanted to get. This is only one example.

Same with me.  I could want to do something and once I turn around to do whatever it is, I've already forgotten.  Happens also when I in a conversation with people.  They'll be talking to me, and I will just draw a complete blank what we are talking about.  Meaning I have absolutely no clue what we are talking about.

I had the same problem recently. My doctor raised my anti-depressant dose and like magic all my intellect and memory returned... Wierd how it works sometimes.

I had the same problem recently. My doctor raised my anti-depressant dose and like magic all my intellect and memory returned... Wierd how it works sometimes.

That's great!  I hope this works for me too ... pdoc just increased prozac today.

I took an all day conference last week and I don't remember anything about it. I know I went but couldn't tell you anything about the class, how the tables were set up or who the presenters were.

I can no. Longer work and part of the problem is memory.

I took an all day conference last week and I don't remember anything about it. I know I went but couldn't tell you anything about the class, how the tables were set up or who the presenters were.

I can no. Longer work and part of the problem is memory.

This happens to me too ... it is like I just go through the motions and everything goes in one ear and out the other, even though at the time of hearing whatever it is being said I can basically understand what I'm hearing.  Taking a lot of notes helped a little though for me.

My memory has worsened overall, and it's reduced my self esteem quite a lot. I've always had problems with my working memory, due to my ADHD and my learning disability. I managed to compensate fairly well though in some areas.

Now, I can hardly ever hold more than one thought or "task" in my mind simultaneously. It's very challenging to do my kind of work with a poor working memory. I have to be even more careful when learning new sequences (steps of a task, for example), or else I may completely mess it up. I can't even begin to explain how much effort it takes to do some things. I have strategies to help though, mainly notes, alarms, and mnemonics.

One particularly useful memory strategy, is to associate things I need to remember with mental imagery. I'll associate the steps in order with an actual physical route, such as a route that I've actually walked before. Each landmark along the route will represent an idea or thought. It took A LOT of practice to learn this technique, and I'm still not a pro at it. It helps so much though. It's a known technique, I didn't make it up.

Finally, I have lost some of my spelling ability. I've always been an excellent speller, I almost never made mistakes. Now, I often question if I'm spelling a word right. I'll spell "doubt" as "dought" or "played" as "plaid". It really sucks. :(