CrazyBoards.org

Does the schizoaffective disorder cause more cognitive impairment than schziophrenia?

I've read a few studies, and judging by them, the schizoaffective disorer disorder tends to cause more cognitive deterioration (in regards to IQ) than schizophrenia. Is it true?

Here's an example of such a study:

http://www.medwirenews.com/47/104527/Psychiatry_News/Schizoaffective_disorder_the_%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9Cmost_severe%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2_psychosis.html

Is there any truth to this? Are there any studies to contradict this?

Well SZ has a worse prognosis than SZA which is counterintuitive but a quick google will tell you so (here's a link if you cbf www.sfnsw.org.au/Mental-Illness/Schizoaffective-Disorder/Schizoaffective-Disorder-Prognosis#.VHyB4jGUdTo ).

And the biggest predictor of disability in psychotic illnesses is cognitive impairment so I'd say based on that schizophrenia would be worse.

Oh hey, looking for references I found the answer
"Patients with schizoaffective disorder outperformed patients with schizophrenia in verbal ability, processing speed, visual working memory, and verbal memory. When compared with controls, patients with schizoaffective disorder also had a generalized cognitive impairment"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22456585

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I always was under the impression that schizoaffective on average had a higher prognosis and higher cognitive function. Thus leaving more room so to speak in schizoaffective for emotional disturbances. Although i know the emotional disturbances in schizophrenia can be very deep. I have often found that one gets into more issues with the bipolar problems thrown into the mix. Thus making it a sort of blessing and a curse.

I think what you are really asking though if i read correctly is deterioration over time and i disagree because it has long been known that the simple chemical imbalance explanation is a bunch of crap. SZA results from physical nuerological issues and potential chemical imbalance putting it more on the side of genetics. When you simply rely on a puddle of chemicals theory that needs to go away that rings to me like a commercial.

I have read somewhere that the catatonic and - I think the word was disorganized or undifferentiated? - subsets of schizophrenia generally fare worse than those with paranoid schizophrenia and schizoaffective. 

That being said, the impression I got was that it totally depends on the individual, and often if you were functional/had more life experience before the illness started, the more likely recovery would be easier. 

Although if anyone gets neurocognitive testing, I would be most interested to hear the results.

I think what you are really asking though if i read correctly is deterioration over time and i disagree because it has long been known that the simple chemical imbalance explanation is a bunch of crap. SZA results from physical nuerological issues and potential chemical imbalance putting it more on the side of genetics. When you simply rely on a puddle of chemicals theory that needs to go away that rings to me like a commercial.

I know mine was not genetics.  I am the first one on any side of my family, even when looking at history of the family on both sides, to ever have a MI.