CrazyBoards.org

Did anybody else get diagnosed with schizophrenia at first, but then it was changed to bipolar?

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at first because my psychosis was very intense, to the point that the mood symptoms went unnoticed, and because I didn't report mood symptoms earlier, because I thought it was normal (I thought it was normal to feel suicidal, empty and numb all the time). This was after an anti-depressant-induced mania. Now, my diagnosis was changed to bipolar disorder, as the mood symptoms have been taken into account.

What about you? Have any of you been diagnosed with schizophrenia at first? What made your doctors change their minds, and diagnose you with bipolar instead?

It hasn't happened to me personally, but a lot of people find that their diagnoses change over time. Sometimes it's because their illness actually presents new symptoms, and sometimes it's because they gain new insight and report things differently-as you did with your mood symptoms.

This is why we always say it's best simply to concentrate on treating the symptoms you're experiencing and not to get too hung up on a diagnosis. I know that's hard, particularly at first, but it really is the best way to go.

I was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic right after my daughter was born. It took the psychiatrist a whole of 5 minutes to diagnose me. He put me on Prozac even after I mentioned I was breast feeding my daughter and she spent two days with projectile vomit. I did not go in for help for another 6 years.  That was in 92 In 2005 I was finely diagnosed with BP and determined disabled. I did not apply for disability until 07 because I didn't want to admit I couldn't successfully hold down a job but when I went in to a place Human services sent me to for training, I talked to the guy for 10 minutes and he told me to apply for disability. I put it off for 6 months but had to see him every week, and each time he just told me to apply and would not give me any other option, of course Human services were not happy. I did finely apply figuring I would be rejected and then he would help me find a job but within 6 months I had my disability. I have tried working since but even though I really enjoyed my job I became very manic and schizophrenic and could not keep the job. That was this past summer. I hear it all the time about people who just live off the government and I feel bad, you can't always see the mental illness and I am very good at hiding it so feel judged as being lazy when I am not. I am very careful to work with my Dr concerning meds by the way and am on a good combination that helps me stay in control for the  most part, the manic is mild now instead of out of control.

I was diagnosed with psychosis and schizophrenia as a teenager, but never took that diagnosis all that seriously. The reason I was diagnosed with that I think was the fact that I was hallucinating, hearing voices and clearly very unwell. I never went to see the doctor because of the severe depression I had as a teenager, so all they saw me with was a quite apparent psychosis. I was diagnosed as bipolar ten years later when I showed up at the psychiatrists at the very end of a manic episode, dysphoric, agitated and speaking fast, but quite clearly not hallucinating. 

I was dx'd schizophrenic years after I was dx'd with BP by my old pdoc, in 2005. When I was hospitalized for assessment and ECT at another hospital it changed to schizoaffective, BP type. I was originally dx'd with bipolar at 14.