CrazyBoards.org

How long did it take before Abilify started working for you?

I became hypomanic within a week of switching to Abilify. I don't know whether it's because of the Abilify or not, or due to a lack of a previous medication, but that's what happened to me, and my pdoc took me off it.

Edited by Slobster

It took about 16 weeks, all told, as It didn't do anything for me until I got to 15mg. I'm still not sure if it's working, truth be told. It could have been the Comcerta/Ritalin that did the trick, or maybe the depression just ended spontaneously. Some might even say I'm still depressed even though I don't feel like I am. In any case, I would be afraid to alter anything right now, as it took a long time to get to this place. It also may have played a role in ending my psychosis, although I blame that on the lexapro. The only side effect I have is akathisia, so I take Cogentin for that. I think it may also be sedating at the higher dose, but I'm not sure. I'm tired all the time and sleep a lot now (I'm not complaining, mind you).

I've been on it for about 7 weeks now and still feeling more depressed than when I started. Started off at 5 mg and bumped it up to 10 mg about a week ago. I'm gonna give it another couple weeks but if it doesn't work by then, I'm done.

That's what I said, but I'm glad I went up to 15mg.

I've been on it for about 7 weeks now and still feeling more depressed than when I started. Started off at 5 mg and bumped it up to 10 mg about a week ago. I'm gonna give it another couple weeks but if it doesn't work by then, I'm done.

Interesting. My pdoc is the one saying I should quit in a couple of weeks. He says the trial period is usually 4-5 weeks. But I am on a pretty low dose, all things considered. 

Interesting. My pdoc is the one saying I should quit in a couple of weeks. He says the trial period is usually 4-5 weeks. But I am on a pretty low dose, all things considered.

I think A couple people here said it took closer to 8 weeks for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Abilify is my best friend. It only took a few days for it to calm down my brain. I feel stable and rational on it. I wouldn't say its necessarily helped me as an anti-depressant, but I didn't need it for that. Acting as a mood-stabiliser it's been fantastic.

Interestingly, before she put me on it, my psychiatrist warned me it either works as a wonder drug, or not at all. I don't know if that's backed up with evidence, or is just her experience, but from what people have said around here it rings true. As I would say with any medication - if it's not working for you, get off it! There are plenty of others to try :)

It supposedly does double duty for me: anti-depressant and anti-psychotic. Not sure about the mood stabilizer part. If I get manic or mixed, I take zyprexa. Between the two, I'm pretty well off. Still have a mild don't care type of depression. Concerta/Ritalin helps some with that, but it doesn't zap it entirely. Pdoc is holding off on Wellbutrin ATM. I tried that a long time ago and couldn't sleep on it. But now I'm sleeping like 12 hours a day, so maybe I need something activating.

I'm taking the exact combination currently, Wellbutrin (350 mg), Abilify (2.5 mg), and Lamictal (still titrating). It took me approximately two to three weeks of Abilify while I was taking the Wellbutrin, before I felt the benefits. The only problem was that it was extremely activating. Wellbutrin alone can be bad enough. Once my pDoc added the Lamictal, the activating effects became a lot more manageable. I still have Klonopin PRN for insomnia and anxiety.

The abilify cleared up my thinking dramatically. I didn't exactly have brain fog, but like you I've always had MDD and lately have had some BPII tendencies. The abilify cleared up those thoughts and gave a nice augmentation to the antidepressant effect of Wellbutrin. The jury is still out on the Lamictal. It's only the start of my second week on it and I'm still only at 25 mg, but it does seem like it's boosting the antidepressant effect of Wellbutrin and Lamictal.

The only thing I would watch out for with this combination is your appetite. Most people attribute abilify to a jump in appetite, but the Lamictal seems to amplify it. Abilify is a strange drug in that it has different effects at a low dose versus a high dose. Personally, the 2.5-5 mg range is just perfect. At higher doses, the AAP properties seem to dominate.

Edited by sam78

I just finished week 3 with no noticeable difference in mood, but at my pdoc visit last week he said it could take 6 to 8 weeks, so I remain hopeful, more or less.

I've been struggling with finding the right time to take it, at first it seemed sedating taken in the morning, so I took it at night and couldn't sleep. I'm still taking it at night, but on some days I wake up an hour or two early, even though I haven't slept enough hours in total. I hope it starts helping soon.

This is the second time I have been on Aripiprazole. It kept me symptom free for two years at 20mg, until I went off it due to my own stupidity and relapsed. I'm now taking it again and I am on my third week up to 15mg. I am finding that my mood is much better and voices are very quiet. Here's hoping I can be symptom-free again.