CrazyBoards.org

But we ALREADY have the breakthrough?

I have schizoaffective disorder. I am very fortunate that I respond well to meds and that I have relatively few side effects, but not everyone does. i would prefer to not have to take a pill everyday and I would rather have no side effects. Psychotic disorders can be quite disabling.

Research into schizophrenia (and other psychiatric disorders) didn't suddenly stop with the introduction of AAPs.  It's an ongoing thing.  If you're reading about a breakthrough, it could mean anything from understanding how the condition works to more up-to-date understandings of how best to medicate it. 

I didn't explain properly. Typical antipsychotics were a breakthrough then the next breakthrough were atypical antipsychotics. So there HAS been breakthroughs with schizophrenia.

Saying nothing has happened is just plain rude.

Edited by happy2beyoung

There are current ongoing studies in schizophrenia, and all mental illnesses, and a lot of things that could be breakthroughs. For example, abilify isn't technically considered an atypical antipsychotic by some, its in it's own category because of the way it works.

They're making new atypicals all the time, and there are a lot of recent discoveries of how schizophrenia works. 

And you're being incredibly insensitive here.

I didn't word this properly. MY fault.

Atypicals are A breakthrough. There will be more breakthroughs to come. Its not that nothing has happened with schizophrenia.

Atypicals were an attempt to make APs with less side affects. I definitely wouldn't call it revolutionary. They still have a butt load of side affects. Abnormal dopamine levels are just one aspect of the disease and the new meds are still focusing on this.

Edited by Equivilency