CrazyBoards.org

Taking very activating meds, been unreasonably exhausted for days now. Wellbutrin?

About two weeks ago we added Wellbutrin to my cocktail, and I felt absolutely amazing. So normal, had energy, etc.

I've been unreasonably exhausted for a few days now, with no other real symptoms of being sick or anything. I take

60mg Adderall
300mg Wellbutrin

1-2mg Klonopin (at night, to help with sleep and curb my anxiety)

I take the Adderall and Wellbutrin in the morning and I still can't seem to peel myself out of bed the past few days. i'm dead tired.

Has anyone had this experience with Wellbutrin? It's the newest in my cocktail so I'm curious about that  maybe causing it.

I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and am wondering if maybe this is a flare up. It's been manageable for a while now, but I dunno. This started about 4 days ago.

Edited by yellowlovesgray

Ritalin had this effect on me -- I was absolutely DEAD TIRED exhausted when I was taking it.

It being a crash is possible -- I've wondered occasionally if my long-term fatigue is really an Adderall crash every day. I get really really tired about 2-3 hours after taking it, it lasts several hours, and then I'm unable to sleep. Boo.

Gonna call my doc Monday - I've been so exhausted I've been working half days and from home. My sleep hasn't been good. I was prescribed Lunesta and it's worked once in a while in the past but this time around had zero effect on me. Oy.. we just can't get this cocktail right.  :( It's been like 2 years this time around. I was so happy when I started Wellbutrin because I fianlly felt "normal." I've taken it before but it just made me cranky. This time around I just felt normal - not depressed, had energy, etc.

We'll see what happens I guess if my doc tries tapering me down and off.

I feel like I need something else activating and years ago I took Provigil but my insurance won't cover it under any circumstance. Nuvigil they will, but only to a dose that does nothing for me. I guess my next step is reaching out to the company that makes Provigil and seeing if they have a prescription assistance program.

Although, last time I was inpatient I was given Provigil so I could get out of bed and go to therapy, etc., but it had no effect. Perhaps the dose was too low or something. But I was just too tired to get out of bed my entire time there.

I feel like maybe I need off Adderal a lot of times because I think the crashing is what's happening -- but I've tried unsuccessfully to come off it several times now. Without it I can't function enough to work, and I've tried most of the other ADD treatments. I feel so stuck. :(

We have tried doing Adderal XR, but it wasn't powerful enough to help me get going in the mornings. We haven't tried a combo of both, though.

Klonopin could also be a culprit - when I took Xanax instead I  noticed a difference in my energy levels, but I burn through even Xanax XR REALLY fast and i start getting twitchy and get muscle spasms. I had my first seizure because I went cold turkey off a benzo and I've had a few since, and I always fear that I'll have another seizure when I take Xanax.

It's like, everything I take, my body metabolises super quickly for some reason.

Good question.

Actually yeah, I have Hashimoto's -- it went undetected for years. A psychiatrist actually caught it. His wife did hormone replacement therapy so it was in his best incentive to run more exhaustive tests than any of my doctors did in the past. Nobody tested for autoimmune disorders. So yeah, my numbers appear to be ok but I'm treated for hypothyroid. I take 2 grains of Armour daily. I forgot to include that. According to the psychiatrist and people i've talked to online who are really well-versed in thyroid issues, it's possible for your numbers to look ok on a range on paper but really the range is a kind of generic set of numbers that doesn't necessarily apply across the board and I had definite symptoms of hypothyroidism so we started treating for that. It has made a difference.

I also though have an autoimmune liver disorder that was caught in a hospital a few months lter because the Hashi's was caught. Nobody ever thought to test for it until they saw the Hashi's. My grandmother actually died due to complications from it but I was so young everyone just said she had "liver cancer" and I didn't really think twice about it until I got the dignosis.

So, both of those things could affect my energy levels and how fast I metabolize meds. So sad I don't metabolize food the same way. LOL. Thankfully now that I'm off Geodon though I'm shrinking back to my normal size, slowly but still. Good enough for me.

I spent yesterday in bed, and I've read the Wellbutrin half life after *chronic* dosing (don't know if this qualifies yet) is 21 hours. I guess about 18 hours after I took that morning dose of Wellbutrin, the REALLY horrible fatigue started to lift. I decided instead to dose at night (which my doc had told me was ok, I mentioned that a few years ago I took it and it kinda put me to sleep immediately, didn't give me THIS kind of fatigue though), and today my energy levels were a wee bit better late in the day.

I did some Googling (because you know, Google's practially a doctor, etc.) though and apparently other people have had this reaction to it. I did the same thing when I had exhaustion like this on Ritalin - I guess it's rare but it happens. Already put a note in on my doc's online messaging system, he'd said if this didn't work out we could move onto a few of the newer options because I've been through a LOT of SSRI's and SNRI's. I haven't though, tried Brintellix(sp?) or Fetzima.

The Ritalin exhaustion cost me a business relationship and a client when I was freelancing -- I need to get a hold of this particular fatigue before it ruins my current job completely.

it's possible for your numbers to look ok on a range on paper but really the range is a kind of generic set of numbers that doesn't necessarily apply across the board and I had definite symptoms of hypothyroidism so we started treating for that. It has made a difference.

You're right.  I have autoimmune thyroid also (I have hyperthroidism), and was reading about it on-line, and found that a level of 0.3-3.0 is the most accurate (too lazy to look for links but they are there if you google them). 

I think the lab where I get my TSH etc checked has a range up to 5.0, but I know myself enough that if it is in the 4-5 range I can tell a difference.  But yeah, everyone reacts differently at different levels, so one person with 3.0 (for example) might be experiencing different side effects  than another person at the same level.

• 2 weeks later...