CrazyBoards.org

Went to ER and...

surreal

I drove myself to the ER at around 3 a.m. for bad gall bladder pain. I have gallstones and have had gall bladder attacks a couple times a month for a year now. But the pain seemed too much to handle so I was worried about an infection. So I forced myself to go.

I was treated like crap by the nurse. The doctor was okay. But the nurse kept refusing to give me anything for pain. The doctor put me on IV fluids and pain meds. This is the third time EVER of me being in the ER. I am not drug-seeking. I was in serious pain.

I was discharged 5 hours later. My dad didn't ask how I was til 8 hours later. My BF didn't ask how I felt when I got home. I called my mom a few minutes ago and told her what happened. She yawned and half-assed said that it was good I went than said she was getting off the phone.

I kind of expected this. No one REALLY cares how you feel. You have to be your own advocate and pat yourself on the back. If you don't than no one will. People don't really give a crap...not doctors or friends or even your own family...

Edited by surreal

No one REALLY cares how you feel. You have to be your own advocate and pat yourself on the back. If you don't than no one will. People don't really give a crap...not doctors or friends or even your own family...

Unfortunately, I have often found this to be true in my life as well.

I drove myself to the ER at around 3 a.m. for bad gall bladder pain. I have gallstones and have had gall bladder attacks a couple times a month for a year now. But the pain seemed too much to handle so I was worried about an infection. So I forced myself to go.

I was treated like crap by the nurse. The doctor was okay. But the nurse kept refusing to give me anything for pain. The doctor put me on IV fluids and pain meds. This is the third time EVER of me being in the ER. I am not drug-seeking. I was in serious pain.

I was discharged 5 hours later. My dad didn't ask how I was til 8 hours later. My BF didn't ask how I felt when I got home. I called my mom a few minutes ago and told her what happened. She yawned and half-assed said that it was good I went than said she was getting off the phone.

I kind of expected this. No one REALLY cares how you feel. You have to be your own advocate and pat yourself on the back. If you don't than no one will. People don't really give a crap...not doctors or friends or even your own family...

I've found the last paragraph to be true as well. I'm glad you went in though too if that counts for anything. Sometimes we have to be our own advocates you are so right.

Yes, I got a script for pain meds.

I think it is in most peoples best interest to keep health issues to oneself. I am learning more about that and working on keeping everything between me and my doctors only. I need to do what's best for me. No one else needs to know. There has been many times I blurted everything out to family. I wish I hadn't...my health stuff is my business only.

Both my parents had to have their gall bladders removed, so I've always wondered if that means it's in my future, too. If it is, I'm coming straight to you for advice.

I'm sorry you got treated so badly. I've been given to understand that gall stones are wicked painful. Can you get your gall bladder removed?

I keep my health to myself as well. No one else needs to know and it isn't their business. I wish that you hadn't had to learn that the hard way.

I'm glad that they gave you pain meds, and I'm glad that you're home now. It's awful to feel so ill and to be treated poorly. It's so dehumanizing. Better to be at home.

It was an awful experience. I did feel humiliated as well. I was there in pain and felt like I had no other option. I'm glad the ER doctor listened to me. That nurse was something else. You don't tell someone who came to the ER for serious pain that they can't have any pain meds while they are there. That is the doctors call.

Gallbladder attack pain is excruciating. That pain can radiate to your back and shoulders as well. It does for me. OTC pain meds don't even touch the pain.

I have to see a GP for a referral to a surgeon. So I guess that's one more thing to add to my never-ending list of health issue non-sense. And even if you get the gallbladder removed, you still have chance of having pain in that area. Stones can be lodged in the ducts that they leave in. 

Why is the human body so fragile?

Still having pain is a relatively small percentage of people, though I can't remember the exact amount. I literally woke up groggy in the recovery room, and the first words out of my mouth were "OMG I feel so much better!". I wasn't even fully awake yet. I have had 0 problems from having mine removed. I've never regretted it. I was in very little pain afterwards either. I think I took like 2 of the pain pills they sent me home with and one was because I overdid it that day. I felt so good, the next day I was cleaning house and doing laundry and carting a big laundry basket around, that's what caused me to have to take a pain pill.

• 4 months later...

The last time I went to the ER my family didn't care.  The doctor didn't care.  Okay after thinking about it, he did a little.  It wasn't for a gallbladder though.  What is wrong with people that they don't care?  At least you can find people here who care.