CrazyBoards.org

I'm moving this to side effects.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Depakote made me ravenously hungry. Risperdal not so much, but I have heard others say that it added weight to them. Celexa does not make me hungry, but I suppose anything is possible.

Yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from on that. When I was taking certain meds, it would take superhuman abilities to overcome the hunger. I wish I had some advice for you on that. Perhaps, talk to your doctor about metformin? I don't know if that would help or not and I'm not a doctor, but you could ask.

Edited by jt07

Dapakote gave me an inhuman hunger. I'd eat a big meal and not even an hour later my stomach would growl and growl until I fed the beast again. I gained over 40 pounds in less than six months. Nothing has ever made me eat like that. It was completely unnatural. I will not take that med again. At the same time, I have met people who love Depakote and haven't gained at all on it.

I actually lost weight on Risperdal while dieting. I have heard of others gaining, but more so from food choices and maybe late night munching. I have not taken Celexa to say anything about it.

Yeah I told him and he said basically watch what I eat and try to eat 6 small meals and it should help.The problem is I get really hungry. I overeat because of that.

Sometimes the DRs just don't "get it."  Like jt said, it takes "superhuman abilities to overcome the hunger."

This happened to me on Clozaril when I was on it, and even after I stopped taking it (the hunger aspect never went away even after I stopped taking it) and my pdoc prescribed me naltrexone.  Maybe look into that with your pdoc?

For me, naltrexone helps with the cravings,  I still get hungry, but the ravenous, continuous appetite I don't have anymore ... (well, rarely).

I'm ravenous after taking Seroquel. Fortunately, it sedates me enough that I don't get up and walk to 7-11. I still rummage through the fridge and cupboards.

Your doc's suggestion is a good one, but doesn't work for everyone. What about having healthy, good tasting snacks available? Like fruit bars, or nuts? I find I crave salt the most. I keep a box of Triscuts in my room to much on after I take seroquel. You're also allowed to cheat on the 'diet'. Treat yourself once in a while. 

But if it gets out of hand, if your pdoc is willing to prescribe it (my GP and pdoc wouldn't, when I was at my heaviest) metformin could be a good choice.