CrazyBoards.org

Hello

Hello everyone.  This is my first time posting on an online forum.  I've lurked for years.

I recently also decided to beginning weaning myself off Effexor because I sensed it was deadening emotions that were adaptive--those that encouraged giving a damn.  I had been getting more and more apathetic and isolated.  I do not talk to anyone about my depression and I don't ask for help, and I guess I need to also do those things, so that's why I'm here.   I'm also trying to do this "self-care" thing (sleep, exercise, eat nutritiously)--which feels so strange to me, so could use support.

Anyway, here's to new things!  Hope I can make a contribution here as well.

Thank you...

Hello everyone.

Hello to you, from one of the every.

And welcome.

...I do not talk to anyone about my depression and I don't ask for help, and I guess I need to also do those things, so that's why I'm here.

Oh yes. Trying to cover the gap between how you are and how you want to present yourself, that itself tends to be both exhausting and depressing.  That does not mean having to dump all of how you are over everyone you meet: having a few people who know and understand is generally a better move.

We can be here, and we can listen, and offer degrees of support.  But I'm pretty safe in speaking for all (as one gets shot down, in a loving way, for getting that badly wrong) in saying that "...ask for help" is something that first and foremost applies towards contacting a real-life medical professional.

We are a lot of things, many of then helpful to some people, but we are not, we cannot be, a substitute for that.

Other stuff, from silly to serious, yes, almost everything we have been known to do.

LOL Cats to nipple clamps, and those are examples, not limits.

Again, hello and welcome.

Chris.

Welcome to Crqazyboards.  I understand why you want to go off effexor, but I hope you will see a psychiatrist and talk about alternatives.  There are many effective antidepressants out there---which you  already know, if you've lurked here for a while.

I love WellbutrinXL and feel like it gave me my life back.  I hope you can find something that works for you.

olga

Thank you Olga and EMettman for your kind welcome.

I didn't mean to suggest I have never sought professional assistance. Indeed, I've experienced all that Kaiser has to offer (which is classes and an annual psychiatrist visit). I've paid privately for thousands of dollars of private talk therapy. I've been on all available antidepressants: tricyclics, MAOIs, SSRIs, SNRIs. Effexor was the best of them for me but can only address chemical imbalance, not other causes of depression.

Honestly, I don't have any friends right now--lots of acquaintance, co-workers, a handful of friends who've moved away with whom I haven't kept in contact, and no family. So I have no support system--my fault. So I'm for peer support.

Thanks again...

Sounds like it has been a long and lonesome road.  Well, we certainly have peer support to offer, and I hope it's helpful to you.

I don't know if you've started a blog, but that's another way to connect with our members.  You can make it private if you like, and just invite people as you get to know us.  Mine is public because I'm old and I don't give a crap who finds me here.  If I were still working, I would feel differently, I'm sure. :)

I'm glad you came here.

olga

Thanks for the suggestion, Olga. Blogging is something I cannot fathom right now. I don't post on Facebook or any social media, terrified of using the phone. I feel invisible. It's a huge step for me to even do this (hate talking about my depression), and so surprised to hear from anyone. Thank you.

Thank you Olga and EMettman for your kind welcome.

I didn't mean to suggest I have never sought professional assistance.

..I'm for peer support.

Thanks again...

No trouble. And it just seemed good procedure to make sure.

Yes, I had many years of both varied medications and a range of talk therapies over about twenty years until (pretty much just in time)

an effective medication cocktail was found.

The talk therapy side has left me with above average self awareness (actually that's not difficult) and a well-stocked mental tool kit with which to perform maintenance and make adjustments.

There is almost certainly an easier way to acquire those two, but it's one silverish lining to a persistent big dark cloud.  Which I've largely been free of for the past four years.

Chris

You might try reading some of the blogs, just to get an idea of what people do with them.  You can rant and rave, you can put up your poetry or short stories, you can talk about your day---it doesn't have  to be the Wittiest Blog on the Planet.

You can keep it totally private and just fill it with things that you want to talk about, but can't bring yourself to discuss with another person.

Anyway, there are people here who will respond---it's a great bunch of members.  You should do whatever feels comfortable to you.

olga