CrazyBoards.org

How long do anti-depressants usually take to provoke a (hypo)manic reaction in people with bipolar disorder?

So I'm wondering as to how long it usually takes for anti-depressants to provoke a manic/hypomanic reaction in people with Bipolar Disorder. I've taken anti-depressants before, and it took about a week for me to switch to a manic state from a severe depressive state. How long does it usually take for anti-depressants to provoke a manic/hypomanic reaction in average bipolar disorder? I know that it varies from one person to another, but what is the average time? And yes, I'm aware of the fact that not all people with bipoalr disorder have a (hypo)manic reaction to anti-depressants. I'm wondering about the average.

I don't know how you could possibly get an answer to this question, given all the variables at play.  There are many, many different antidepressants out there and not all of them created equal, in the same way that not all BP people are created equal.  One person might be able to tolerate an SSRI, but go completely nuts on an SNRI. I survived on wellbutrin for some months before going manic.  Effexor XR made me so crazy that it was the med that finally uncovered my bipolar.  On the other hand, my pdoc has recently put me on fluoxetine and has confidence that it's not going to send me flying into mania. 

I really don't think there is such a thing as "average bipolar disorder", and you're making a faulty assumption if you think you can extrapolate an average antidepressant reaction time from the experiences of other members on CB. 

When I was put on the wrong dose of Celexa, it took about 36 hours. But Mia is correct: These isn't any good answer to this question, because every bipolar patient is different. No two people will metabolize a medication the exact same way.

Why do you ask?

Effexor XR made me so crazy that it was the med that finally uncovered my bipolar.

This was the same for me. I was on Effexor XR a few years back with no hugely obvious hypomania. I wasn't on it for that long though, maybe a few months. The second time though was this June. I went to urgent care and instead of Effexor XR she gave me Effexor IE and within a week I had completely lost it. My new doctor put me on the XR a week after I started the IE, a month later when I went for a med check and told him what had been happening he asked about my history and then diagnosed bipolar.

I have been on numerous SSRI'S as a teenager but really can't comment on whether or not they made me manic or I was already manic. Those years are mostly a blur and I stopped and started them so much plus substance abuse for a few years....well, you get the idea.