CrazyBoards.org

Keeping MOM on meds!

HI-

I'm a bit hypo tonight, so don't mind me!

My mom is on the manic end of the spectrum. I've actually only seen her in manias. She has never had a depression that we are aware of. I'm 27, so that is a bit of time.

She refuses to take her meds. Her pdoc gives her a mood stabilizer or atypical, and she doesn't take it. She DOES take her SSRI Lexapro, and I think it is because it helps her mania. She just wants to be that way or something.

Usually she is swinging from the light fixtures and running around like a psycho.

This is her MO- she takes the samples from her pdoc, tells the pdoc she took them and didn't like them, when they usually end up in my medicine collection. I tried to be *helpful* and provided her with a list to take to her pdoc about my symptoms, what different moods look like for me, and what works/at what dose/wtih what side effects for me, thinking it will help her because we're close genetically. He prescribes her usually stuff I've had good luck with, and she just goes about carving totem poles for the yard again ;) (really).

Why does she put up the facade of caring? Do you have any suggestions on how I could convince her to take her meds? Rational discussions are tough in the midst of deciding how to paint the totem poles.

Hi Loon,

Whoa. I'm so sorry you have to worry about your mom. I read your post over and over, and kept coming to the same conclusion: You can't do anything to make your mom change her ways.

You're 27, and she's been manic for as many years, if not longer, and she likes it that way. Period. As frustrating as it is for you, she knows what she wants and how she wants to feel, and it sounds like she's not going to let anyone get in the way of her desires.

Hmm...Does her pdoc know about her M.O.? Is there a way you can speak to him about your concerns? Perhaps if he knew what was going on, he'd change his treatment methods or approach with your mom.

If she's not compliant, is there a possibility she could just get her meds via shots? I know that's unrealistic, but I'm just trying to think of anything to help you and your mom.

I'm hoping that maybe something I've rambled about could be helpful.

Hang in there, Loon!

Thanks for your ideas JB!

I was just remembering when I was 7 and got my DX, she told me that meds took away her creativity. She didn't let me go on meds until I was 18 and could decide for myself.

I talk to her pdocs and sometimes I get believed and sometimes she convinces them otherwise. I think it depends on how manic she is. Sometimes there's nothing she can do to shut down her rapid speech or racing ideas. So they give her a mood stabilizer and/or atypical.

I hadn't thought of the shots...I'll suggest that to her. She did take birth control shots. She gets allergy shots. She seems to like shots.

Hm, I've never heard of time-release injectable psychmeds. 

I gotta agree with jillbelle.  You can't make her take meds.  You can't control her.  That's one of the most distressing thing about knowing someone who's sick, whether it's an alcoholic who doesn't think it's a problem or a BP who only takes the meds that trigger her mania.

IMHO, reporting her behavior as neutrally as possible to her pdoc is probably the most helpful thing you can do.  Don't try to talk the pdoc into anything in particular, just tell him you're giving him info you hope will be helpful.  Either he'll believe you or not, but that way you're doing just about the only useful thing you could do, aside from lashing her to the newly-painted totem pole, holding her nose, and forcing the pills down her.  I suggest the former, rather than the latter.

My sympathies.  My parents need treatment and won't get it, but it's not as bad as things sound with your mom.  Can you talk with a tdoc about it?  Not about how to solve her problems, but how to learn to deal with the distress it causes you.

lmnop, I know there are lots of injectable psychmeds, but Loon-a-tik was hoping you could get something like birth control shots.  Birth control shots are long-lasting drugs; they shut down ovulation for months, right?  As far as I know, there aren't any injectible psychmeds that work that way.  Sure, there are extended-release oral meds, but they wouldn't be a solution for Loon's mom, since she won't take them.

But wouldn't it be nice if they did make such a thing?

I'm thinking that my mom has shown symptoms of "liking" shots. She seems to approve of injectables for allergies and hormonal regulation. I was thinking that perhaps if I bring up injectable Risperdal that she'll be more likely to give it a go than the pills. If I bring up the pills she claims that they make her depressed. Depressed for her is when others can understand her speech.\\

Dee-Nile- not just a river in Egypt!

I'm thinking that my mom has shown symptoms of "liking" shots. She seems to approve of injectables for allergies and hormonal regulation. I was thinking that perhaps if I bring up injectable Risperdal that she'll be more likely to give it a go than the pills. If I bring up the pills she claims that they make her depressed. Depressed for her is when others can understand her speech.\\

Dee-Nile- not just a river in Egypt!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I understand it, Risperdal is the only extended release injectable out there.

Karen

Archived