CrazyBoards.org

I have been taking the mood stabalizer lamictal along with cymbalta for over three months. titrated up to 200mgs of Lam and 60mg of cym.... My depression has ceased to exist,, thank God!!  I actually have never felt better expect for one thing, the Hypomanic side.. I thought that the Lamictal would help but I still get a lot of brain noise.. Repeated thoughts, sort of like a song playing over and over, I call it a overly loud conscious.. I try and block it out but always seems to be there.. My Pdoc when I told him suggested using my klonopin a little more often.. I feel that is only a mask to cover the problem..

I also have been a bit compulsive again and in a euphoric state. HypoManic situations..I am up tonight because my sleep has been disrupted by hyper thinking. These episodes have not come as often as years past but are still there.. Have any of you experienced this brain noise??? Have you added anything to help the up sides of this dam bipolar decease.  I been struggling for a lifetime and I feel that I am real close..close to a place I never have been, "Level"!

I know we are not doctors but like a 12 step program, talking to others who struggle with the same thing seems to help!!

I wish you all peace of mind and would welcome any input. ;)

Hi...I' sorry you're having sleep trouble again.  And I don't have a lot of words of wisdom except to share my most recent experiences.  I know exactly what you mean by those thoughts. I have always called the electrical storm in my brain.  That, along with the depression and the irritability/moodiness have been my biggest problems.  I take Xanax when I can't sleep, and it really does help, but I'm so afraid to use it regularly long term.

I too am on Cymbalta and Lamictal.  However, I am on 90 mg of Cymbalta and I just recently started taking Lamictal.  So far it has been like the miracle drug for me.  I don't increase my dose again until next Saturday, and I can already sense some breakthrough mania sneaking through.

I guess you should just discuss this with the pdoc and see what he/she has to say.  I have heard hear when Cymbalta is increased to 90 mg, it is supposed to help with anxiety...who knows...

Anyway, again, I'm sorry you're having trouble again...PEACE  ;)

Hi-

I've never taken Cymbalta but I'm on 400mg Lamictal right now. From my understanding of what Lamictal does, it will just hold us around baseline and should conquer our mood declines and mood elevations.

I have this background brain noise as well, and I take Seroquel for it. Seroquel, an atypical antipsychotic, is FDA approved for bipolar mania. I take the Seroquel as my 2nd "mood stabilizer" because it wards off mania AND gets rid of the stupid head junk I used to have.

So, I'd consider discussing the addition of a possible Atypical as something else to balance your mood and treat/prevent manias, with the added bonus that it should kill the head radio. ;)

--- loon ----

I'm on a fairly heavy cocktail of meds and still experience the brain noise problem. (Why doesn't anyone tell us where the off-switch on our brains is?!)  I agree with Loon - seroquel is supposed to be the best atypical for getting your head to shut up long enough for you to get some rest.  My pdoc prescribed thorazine for insomnia but has said herself that it's not as effective as seroquel for your particular problem.

Sorry, not very helpful - just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Topamax seems helpful, too.

Since I've been on it, I've been able to fall asleep a bit quicker.

It used to take AGES for me to get to sleep at night.

Topamax increases, or agonizes, the brain levels of GABA, which keeps the brain from going into Overdrive.

Basically, this should deaden the brain noise.

Archived