CrazyBoards.org

thinking of tapering off geodon

lately i have not really been seeing any improvement from the geodon.  i mean, it helps me sleep, but too MUCH.  see my other post for info about my sleeping if needed.  i am also on klonopin, which i REALLY like, and as it is also an anti convulsant I thought it could, and does, help with my moods.  the psychotic symptoms I have really do not bother me.  i actually like seeing things that are not there, they make me feel welcome, appreciated.  the post i linked tells how much sleep i got and stuff so go look there for that, but this morning I am thinking about taking a very low dose and drinking tons of caffeine so i don't pass out.  i hate sleep. ;)   i will definitely talk to my pdoc about this before completely going off the med, and my tdoc too if I see her first which i probably will, and am going to be sure to do it safe since i've been through the withdrawls and it is NOT FUN but not that I have klonopin wafers if I have any panic attacks i know where to turn.

i really haven't been doing very well lately which makes me think one of the meds isn't the right choice. effexor, which i have been on for years has always been good to me, the geodon i used to be in love with until i just got so sleepy and bleh and the klon has no drowsy effects so i can take that without worry.  i'm thinking of an anti convulsant route like my mother and uncle, since they benifit from it.  suggestions, thoughts?

The problem with not treating psychotic symptoms is that they tend to get worse if left untreated and cause permenant changes in your brain.  Leaving them untreated really isn't an option if you ever want to be functional. 

Abilify might be a better option as some people actualy find it stimulating. 

I like to take credit for being the resident Geodon hater, because it made me sleep 90 hours a day and turn EVIL.

Elvis is very right. You've got to treat the psychotic symptoms, or your brain will change. Our brains are already messed up!

Have you tried Zyprexa? I don't know why I think that would be something to look into. I just have a feeling about it (could be the delusions though!).

Have you tried Zyprexa? I don't know why I think that would be something to look into. I just have a feeling about it (could be the delusions though!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wouldn't touch that medicine with a ten foot poll.  diabetes runs in my family and i don't want it.

but if i like the psychotic symptoms?  will it like, make me loose brain cells or something?  or just damage it so i see more shit?

it's generally best to have a chat with the prescribing doctor before any dose changes, just in case, but spacing out doses is often helpful. when i was on risperdal my maintainance schedule had me take half my dose after dinner and the other half before bed, and that helped considerably in preventing morning zombification. even on a quite high dosage, spreading the doses out through the day can help with the sleepiness.

if i understand the psychotic kindling effect aright, it works in the same way epileptic kindling does: each psychotic event makes future psychotic events more likely. as psychosis tends to be... unpredictable, the fact that you have pleasant ones now doesn't guarantee that they will remain so in future. it's like mania that way.

ACs are certainly an option for moods, and a good option for many people, but if you get a psychotic element as well, you'll probably always want to have some sort of AP around. by dinking with the cocktail, though, you could perhaps have an AC for mood and a small amount of AP for reduced zombie effect.

there's no way of saying what the ultimate effect would be. i don't think it's worth risking, personally. have you been on other APs? how long have you been on the geodon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been on Geodon for at least 6 months.  I've also been on Seroquel which I hate with a passion.

FWIW, I'm on a small dose of Risperdal, and I am as creative as ever.  I might not have as big of a fountain of ideas, but I personally feel like my writing is all-around better.  Of course, I've also been in school, which has definitely improved my writing.  But I do think that my meds (including Risperdal) have helped the clarity and focus of my writing, not to mention allowing me to find threads and narratives in life which don't involve death, death, and more death.

geodon just makes me....a person.

i really think it has screwed me up.

the worst thing is that i have to deal with this until the new year, and after that my pdoc will only be in on modays (WTF) so i can only see her when it's convinient for HER, not when i NEED to. 

i don't want to go into the hospital at this time of the year.

geodon just makes me....a person.

i really think it has screwed me up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with being a person?  Being a raving lunatic may help with the creative side, but it tends to dampen the ability to not be a raving lunatic. 

If you have psychotic episodes, not taking an AP is asking for trouble.  As someone with BP, I can understand not liking the loss of some creativity being medicated.  However, given my personal experience with the progression of my disease and the evidence of BP kindling, I don't feel the risk of being unmedicated is worth the reward.  You will have to decide for yourself if you want to take the risk.

Archived