CrazyBoards.org

Prozac and pregnancy, and alcohol

Hi,

I suffer from depersonalization disorder and depression. I was on Paxil but I' ve felt very stoned so I switched to Prozac. It also helped a lot for Paxil zaps. Now it'a kind of OK, but I have 2 questions for you :

1-I plan to have another baby ONE day, and I wanted an AD not harmful to the baby. Prozac, it is safe??

2-I heard that you can take a bit of alcohol with prozac, is it safe too?

thanks a lot.

dpmom

Mixing alcohol with all ssris is fairly similar.  They recommend in the PI sheets that you dont do it, although they also suggest that there are no known interactions.

Many people on ssri's enjoy regular drinking, though dr's would only recommend it in moderation.

As for pregnancy, some say no alcohol, others say 1 glass of red wine per day, and others say up to 2 drinks per day is ok.  So you need to decide which advice to follow.

As for prozac and pregnancy, Im pretty sure prozac is listed as a class C drug, meaning that it shouldnt interfere with pregancy, but is not ideal.

Zoloft is a class B drug and from my conversations with dr's it is recommended as the safest ssri during pregnancy.  My wife takes it for this reason.  Im pretty sure paxil is also class B.  Celexa is definitely class C, but many people have had normal pregnancies on it (around these boards anyway).

Hi,

1-I plan to have another baby ONE day, and I wanted an AD not harmful to the baby. Prozac, it is safe??

2-I heard that you can take a bit of alcohol with prozac, is it safe too?

thanks a lot.

dpmom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My children are 17 and 9, as it so happens, I was on Prozac both times I got pregnant. I chose to stop the Prozac. My ob's recommendation was, if your depression begins kicking your ass and we decide IT is more detrimental to both organisms (me and the baby), then we re-evaluate. As it was, my depression was manageable and I even stayed off Prozac while I nursed the first one for 6 mos.

My second child, different father, waaaay different dynamics. I did stay off Prozac while I was pregnant, but immediately after he was born I said, "give me my Prozac and the baby a bottle." It was abundantly clear that my depression was overwhelmingly more important to address than the fussing about the bottle/breast debate.

I avoided alcohol entirely when I was pregnant and nursing, but I am more of the all or nothing type. I don't want 1 glass of wine, I want a vat. But if you are a real social drinker, go for it. I would wait to drink at all until later in the pregnancy, when all the critical systems are pretty much formed, but that's me (if I was a social drinker!)

But I'm getting excited about a hysterectomy right now! Woo Hoo! Seriously, I'm done with my Uterus.

FWIW.

HB

The best advice about pregnancy and alocohol is if you are trying to get pregnant don't drink at all. The first weeks and months are critical developmental periods and because you often don't know that you are pregnant for six weeks or more it is best to avoid all alcohol.

You are correct, Paxil will soon be re-categorized from class C to D as a precaution due to some new studies. Until more facts are in Paxil's classification has been changed.

You say you want to have a baby one day. As much as any one of us can actually plan getting pregnant, if it is all possible when your feel the time is right to get pregnant talk to your doctors in advance. Make sure you have a pdoc and a OB/GYN who will work together. In many, many cases the benefits of taking any psychopharm meds can outweigh any potential rrisks to mother and fetus.

• 2 years later...
Guest irene

Iam on prozac I find when if i drink i feel down and since drinking has not been the same. I to worry about this drug and pregnacy and wonder is this plays a role with autism or learning disorders

Irene, alcohol can act as a depressant with people even if they are not taking an SSRI. If you're depressed, drinking is probably not a good idea.

Having said that, I like to have a glass of wine most days, but it doesn't seem to affect me. Everyone is so different.

I think we should all listen to what our bodies are telling us. If you feel more depressed after an episode of drinking, then don't drink.

olga

Irene,

if im reading correctly you are asking about prozac & alcohol taken together while preggers.

alcohol may have more of an impact. regularly drinking alcohol while pregnant - especially during the first trimester is very dangerous. there can be deformations of the embryo and a whole bunch of other bad stuff.

however, if you have a few drinks before you find out you are pregnant - you may be ok. but when one finds out they are preggers, one should dramatically stop drinking. yes, there are different opinions on this. but add in any MI pills + a developing embryo - and that can have some problems.

its better to take the prozac and not drink while preggers. The mental health of the mother is always more important than the embryo and then fetus.

an embryo is defined as a "fetus" after 10 weeks of gestation...which is almost at the end of the first trimester.

if you need help stopping drinking...please look at the substance abuse threads...there are a lot of people trying to quit drinking.

be well,

db

zoloft is category c, it was switched to that, I dont know when, but that is from a legitimate medical site that says that. the only antidepressant that is an category b still is wellbutrin. I know this also bc I was pregnant with my daughter and have real mental issues, and the only thing I would take anti depressant wise was wellbutrin.

bc I was real picky about what drugs I took while preggers. what do you know I am pregnant again lol.

but on the alcohol I dont know if you are talking about drinking while pregnant, but that is a big no no, once you become pregnant it really is bad for teh baby. But trying to get preggers, also it would be wise to lessen up on the alcohol so your body would be ready for a baby and it also helps with the conceiving part.

Good answer above--if you a re planning a pregnancy, dodn't drink--and tell your pdoc you are. Ideally, your OB and your pdoc should work together--I have seen more people switched to Prozac during pregnancy, but now that I know about my former employers, I think that may have been connected to phardm. kick back.

Its a very individual thing, but suffering from major depresssion or other MI's during preg., and not on treatment, can be much more damaging to you and baby than meds. Lots of good articles piinned above,and constant research going on.

Just be open with all your docs, and don't ever change meds or just stop your meds without talking to your pdoc first. That will screw up you and baby.

PM me if you have questions or concerns--

blessings,

china, our resident OB/GYN RN

• 1 month later...

Iam on prozac I find when if i drink i feel down and since drinking has not been the same. I to worry about this drug and pregnacy and wonder is this plays a role with autism or learning disorders

I took prozak during pregnancy and breasfeeding of my first son and he has Aspergers, ADHD, ODD & CD. I can't be 100% sure that it was the Prozac that caused these, in fact im certain that his Fathers genetics played a arge role in it all, but I still also blame the Prozac. I might be wrong, but thats my gut instinct and personal opinion. Others may have had children on Prozac, wiht no issues, but maybe my son was just in that minimal percentage who arent as lucky?

Drinking and Prozac - I used to and it didnt affect me (I was not pregnant at this time), however if I drank a fair bit I would become depressed again and ive been told its because Prozac doesnt work correctly if you are drinking. So in essence if you were to have a binge night, you might has well have not taken the Prozac for that day IYKWIM? I never felt really hungover the next day or had any side effects like that, where as on other meds I have had that from just 2-3 drinks.

As far as pregnancy goes IMO you need to weigh up the pros and cons, eg if you are suicidal and a risk to yourself or you baby then you should look at AD's. However if you are depressed, but can manage, even if only just, then I wouldnt be going on any. If your baby is born with any issues or develops anything as they age...could you handle the fact that it *may* have been caused by you taking an AD?

Not an attack on anyone, jsut my personal opinion and speaking from experience ;)

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy when you do decide to conceive :)

Hey, its China the "know it all" here--first, I have found that I simply cannot tolerate alcohol on the cocktail I am on now. So you gotta watch that. (Fell over in a drunken stupor the other night after 3 light drinks I mixed myself--I mean, hit my head, helped to the bed, the whole embarrasing thing. Bless my cousin/brother who has seen me thru worse!)

If you are pregnant, the official work is, "don't drink anything, ever" which I believe is a bit stringent IF you are on no other mood-altering drugs. But any AD, etc. IS a mood altering drug--so==just son't drink when you want to get preggers. But do take pre-natal (not regular) vitamins, starting anytime before you actually conceive. Best thing you can do.

THEN--have a long talk with the person you have picked to be your OB/GYN and possibly take care of you in pregnancy. A LONG talk--because docs opinions of AD's, etc vary hugely , and are not often influenced by what is correct in medical fresearch-- The main thing is=--NEVER EVER change meds, or STOP a med outright. EVER. If your doc suggests that you stop "immediately" grab your panties and purse and hit the street as fast as possible. You need an OB who is familiar and comfortable dealing with preggers folk who have batshit problems. There are healthy ways to manage your MI and still have a healthy baby, but ideally, your OB and your pdoc gotta be on the same team-- YOUR team.

Please re-read what I wrote before--and just know that you are a consumer of medical care--you do NOT have to settle for anything. If you don't like a doc, change. There is no rule that will condem you to hell if you change docs, weither the OB or the pdoc, ANY TIME.

We have some examples of beautiful healthy babies born to those on this board, and their moms made it safely thru both pregnancy, delivery and postpartum by being appropriately medicated for their various batshit disorders Talk to December Bridget and Bern, our newest moms, I think--PM me, I will research my little fingers off and get the latest scoop for you. But you gotta talk to both docs, and you gotta know that MI untreated in pregnancy and after leads too often to disaster--horrible, beyond your dreams, Andrea Yates disasters. And it doesn't hae to be that way.

Trust your docs, but remember, they are NOT God and you are a consumer--your are "buying" their services, which means you can disagree, and make decisions providing they are educated decisions and you are willing to take the consequences. But you have rights--

Sorry if this is a bit scattered--lots of grief and strife in my life right now, so brain not working at 100%--well, not even 50%.

But I am here to help--PM me any time.

Love and blessings,

china RN, retired tho not out of the game of producing healthy moms and babies. (besides I love those pictures on my desk!!!)

Archived