CrazyBoards.org

Hi All,

I am asking an innocent question about antipsychotics here. I have a history of depression with psychotic features..and I have been treated by a therapist who has told me to make an appt. with apdoc for lets say abilify? I am delusional to him, but not seeing things. He thinks something might help to stablize me more than zoloft and ativan. I'm also taking lyrica for pain mgmt bid.

I am scared to add another drug on board. I've had some really crushing days with intrusive thoughts.

I also take care of my 3 year old son and can't be too sedated.

Anybody offer any experiences. or thoughts?

Great appreciated!

I take Abilify and it does not sedate me at all. Also, Risperdal and Invega did not sedate me either. Zyprexa did sedate me pretty badly.

I don't think you have to worry about adding another drug. Even if you add the antipsychotic, I'll still be taking more meds than you. You want to take all the meds needed to control your symptoms - no more and no less.

I was once on 8 meds... It doesn't matter the amount, as long as they are helping you. I didn't find Abilify sedating. I don't take it anymore, as it didn't really work for me, but what works for me might not work for you. Everyone is different. Good luck, I hope you find something that does work!

Geodon, Risperdal, Invega, Abilify, and Latuda are all known to be relatively non-sedating (varies by individual)

Seroquel and Zyprexa are infamous for sedation.

Regardless of the medication choice you and your pdoc make, it sounds like your symptoms could benefit from one of these meds. You never know 'til you give it a shot; you could very well find that an antipsychotic helps immensely. 

Edited by mjs190

Before I was diagnosed with bipolar, I just had "depression" most of my life. I have taken antidepressants out the ass and they never did anything for my depression. I think I would just eventually come out of it all by myself, or it had run it's course or whatever. The antidepressants never helped. I never got any relief from depression until I started taking an antipsychotic. My life has been so different since then, it's like night and day. Don't let the name scare you. Don't worry about how many pills you are taking as long as it gets the job done. I take Latuda and it makes me sleepy a couple of hours after I take it, but it doesn't cause any daytime sedation. I've never been on Abilify, so I can't give you any advice on it. The only thing I can say is give it a try. It couldn't hurt anyway.

BTW, I take 2 mental pills, my mom has high blood pressure and has to take 3 pills for it and she also has to avoid caffeine, get plenty of exercise and a couple of other things to keep her blood pressure under control. So, just don't feel bad that you would be taking 3 pills. You might actually find out that you can drop the zoloft (or whatever you are on, I forgot) after adding the Abilify or whatever you decide to go with.