CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
iaawal

Effexor/Venlafaxine ER experiences

Hi all, 

Pdoc dropped the prozac and added effexor.

Anyone care to share their experience?

Especially how it helped your anxiety. I hate dropping the prozac because it's helped my anxiety at high doses. 

I took it for a very long time. I think my largest dose was 150mg. I didn't have any side effects from it. I don't have anxiety, so I can't tell you how it treats it. We dropped the effexor and added Lamictal. I'm not sure the effexor was really doing anything. I hope it works for you.

I've been on it a few times now and really liked it. I'm coming off it again at the moment though as Pdoc wants to slowly switch all of my meds. I don't think it helped my anxiety a great deal but then that's just me. Last time I started it was when I got diagnosed with bipolar, I had become really manic but thankfully my doctor noticed right away and added a mood stabiliser and mu moods evened out. Two things I noticed though while I was taking it, when I start on it I become really suck for about a week. Also, when I missed a dose I would find that about 10 hours 9 so later I would be incredibly shaky and unsteady. I was on 150 mg a day. I've had the brand and generic and I personally didn't notice a difference between the two.

Well, that's my story of being on Effexor.

I've been on it for years and years. It has helped me a lot with anxiety and OCD. Not sure about the depression aspect. One IP pdoc even said it she was keeping me on it just for anxiety and OCD. I am sure it must help mood somewhat though.

It hasn't pooped out either I don't think. I was on lexapro for quite a while and that helped my anxiety but it gradually stopped working. So I was put on Effexor Xr.

I've been on Velafaxine for 2 years now, it's done me a world of good. It's really helped lift my mood, although it didn't help my anxiety particularly. I take 225mg, I tried decreasing my dose and felt really flat, so at least I know it's working. I didn't get any side effects on it at all.

I'm on the extended release version, and even on that I get withdrawal symptoms after a couple of hours if I forget a dose. I have also heard from many people around several forums that it is a pain to come off due to the withdrawal symptoms, because it's such a short-acting medication. So it has it's ups and downs.

Hope it works for you.

Effexor (Venlafaxine) and Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) both increased my anxiety for the first 3 hours, then there was a decrease in anxiety after that for 5 or 6 hours.  These meds made me pretty sweaty, shaky, and sick to my stomach, so I gave them the boot.

I am very sensitive to medications, however.

I have been on Effexor for a couple years now.  My rheumatologist petitioned my pdoc to change my anti-depressant from Welbutrin to Effexor because the Effexor is supposed to help with pain.  I haven't found that it has helped with my pain at all, but my depression does seem better than it was on Welbutrin.  Also, my anxiety is much lower than it was on Welbutrin.  My dose was recently upped to 300 mg when I was IP. 

It intially helped me. It was one of the first ADs to not make me manic. It also didn't make me anxious or give me insomnia. It only affected my libido. It was a miracle drug. It stopped my suicidal thoughts but then it stopped working and I'm tapering off now (which is hell).

^woooo *high fives for withdrawals* lol. I'm stopping effexor this week too except I'm not tapering, I just stopped and replaced it with me new AD. I always do that, I just like to get it over with. Pdoc was okay with it. Effexor withdrawals suck so bad though. This is the second time I've come off of effexor and i would definitely have to say it's been the worst for me out of all meds when it comes to withdrawals.

I've been on Effexor XR for about 3 years now. I didn't see any improvement in my mood until I had been on 300 mg for 3 weeks. I am still on 300 mg today. I find that Effexor works optimally for me if I have another med to "help" it. I took Effexor + Abilify for a couple years, which was pretty good for my mood (and psychotic symptoms). I stopped the Abilify due to side effects.

Now, I take Effexor + Lamictal as my 2 main crazy meds. This combination seems to work pretty alright. I dunno. I'm currently going back to therapy to address my mood, which could usually be described as "blah," mixed with deep self-loathing. We'll see how it goes.

At first, I didn't think Effexor did anything to my anxiety levels, neither positive or negative. I attributed the massive improvement in my anxiety all to Abilify. However, I stopped Abilify over 8 months ago, and my anxiety is still under control. I used to be diagnosed with GAD, but I don't meet the criteria anymore! I also did individual therapy that was supplemented with a CBT group, which really helped. Considering that I've struggled with anxiety/panic since I was 4 years old, I think that speaks volumes about not only Effexor, but therapy too. 

When I first started Effexor, my only really noticeable side effect was urinary hesitation. I'm not going to lie, it was horrible. The only way I could pee was to constantly drink coffee, and chug massive amounts of water all day. Thankfully, that terribleness only lasted about 1 week.

I tried to stop taking Effexor once, so that I could switch to Wellbutrin. It did not go well. Almost immediately after reducing Effexor, I became extremely depressed. I'm surprised I made it 12 days without Effexor and managed to avoid killing myself. I started taking it again at my regular dose (300 mg) and I felt better in 24 hours.

As always, YMMV, but I hope it does good things for you!

I was on it many years ago, started off at 75mg and went up to 225 - 300mg if I remember correctly.   I had CBTat the same time and the combination of Effexor+therapy pulled me out of a deep depressive/OCD hell hole.  I can't say for sure what was more important, the therapy or the medication, but I suspect the therapy to be honest. 

The side effects (side-effexor) became problematic over time and at higher doses.  I had to come off it pretty fast and found out the withdrawal syndrome is NOT fun.  Watch out for the cardiovascular side effects. The other side effects are a bit SSRI like in my opinion:  emotional blunting, sexual dysfunction, sweating, etc. 

My understanding is Effexor acts like an SSRI at lower doses and SNRI at higher doses.... higher doses are what cause more side-effects BUT are more effective for anxiety.  YMMV. 

I took it for around a year. Going from 150 to 300 got me out of the hospital. Initially they tried augmenting with abilify but the combo was too sedating or something. I switched to lamictal and between the two I functioned (not well, but better enough people noticed) for almost a year before pdoc talked about a change. It took another 6 months (for uncontrollable reasons) before I switched to an MAOI. I tapered Effexor in 2 weeks and then had the 2 week washout. The taper wasn't too bad. I got dizzy. It took a long time to not have the world "slosh" a bit when I turned my head but that was the worst of it for me.

I didn't have any PRN anxiety meds at the time. I changed off the med because of depression issues. Anxiety was manageable.

Edited by Geek