CrazyBoards.org

on blind faith i started lamictal after bad experiences with depakote and tegatol.

19 days in, up to 50mg...and the constipation is really annoying. 25mg constipation and diarrhea was tolerable. the past few days have been really bad... i eat really well too, very little glutten. a good amount of hemp fiber. hemp seed magnesium etc... 2000-3000calories/day

i've started drinking more caffeine and smoking cigarettes again to combat it but ever dose but backs me up again. caffeine usually makes me wig out but not so much anymore..guess lamictal is doing something positive

does the constipation go away? i read the hair loss goes away but nothing about the constipation. i'm 120lbs on a good day if that matters.

I didn't have constipation with lamictal, but I would think the constipation would go away as you titrate up.

For me, more fiber is WORSE than less fiber.  I get VERY constipated with lots of fiber in my diet.  Maybe try colace?  It is a stool softener and OTC so is easy to get.  If you do, make sure you run it by your DR first.

I am on 200 mg of lamictal and 500 mg Seroquel, not sure if it's one or the other but still after 3 months struggle with constipation

I take colace every night and still struggle stay regular.

Both of these drugs have worked well for me, so for now I am just gonna try to figure out what works.

I don't know if it's the Lamictal or my other drugs (wellbutrin or seroquel) but I have rocks for insides. I tried the Colace but stopped it because I found that when I would go out (maybe nervous?) I would be running to the drs. office bathroom and having diarrhea attacks. So not cool. So I stopped and I try to drink juice, lemonade, hot chocolate, a lot of water. Fiber doesn't help me in the slightest, except for chili every once in a blue moon.

I don't have constipation from Lamical. When I was pregnant though, I had horrible constipation and the only way I could go, was to take Fiber. I forget which one I used, but I used the one that is tasteless and colorless. I put 4 tsp in my coffee every morning (yes, you are allowed caffeine while pregnant, but you have to limit it). It says it's supposed to dissolve in anything, but I noticed it clumped up and didn't dissolve in cold drinks. It took a couple of days, but after that, everything was fine.

I'm on several meds that cause constipation. Drinking so much water for lithium has helped somewhat. There is Miralax, if you want to take a mild laxative that works, and that you can take forever, pretty much. I also use dulcolax when things get bad, but only when things get BAD. You can also find generic dulcolax as docusate sodium.

You say you eat well, but just in case, I found a large amount of fruit and vegetables helps a lot too. I make green smoothies with some regularity (heh, I didn't even mean that to be funny).