CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Parapluie

Need advice: Cat versus water (pics!)

One of my cats has issues with water, mostly to do with drinking it. It's not that he doesn't drink enough though. The problem is that he drinks whatever water he can find... Except the water in his dish.

Here is Knuckles, he has a drinking problem:

Additionally, we can't leave our drinks unattended for even a second, or else Knuckles will knock it over (and then walk away). He started knocking over his water dish too, so we got a heavier one. He's determined though, and now he drags his dish around the kitchen, making a mess. 

This picture about sums it up:

He tries to drink out of the toilet, but we close the lid. He likes to lick the sink, and the tap. He seems to really love cold water, cause he also licks the condensation off windows, and likes to lick ice cubes. He started licking the snow off of my winter boots, but that's gross, so I got him a bowl of fresh snow. He LOVED it. He licked the snow and pawed at it happily. But then he knocked it over, of course. 

Note the little tongue marks in the condensation on the window:

Here he is at the scene:

I've heard that some cats just don't like drinking still water, even if it's cold and fresh. They may also dislike the location of the bowl in the house, or it's proximity to their food. I also heard that some cats can take issue with the materials of the water dish itself. So far, we have experimented with different materials and shapes. We have tried a few plastic dishes and stainless steel. The next option to try is a ceramic bowl, which might be heavy enough to stop him from dragging it around. However, maybe he drags it around because he likes moving water? 

I've read that some people give their cats a little drinking fountain for this very reason. Also, that's fucking adorable. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews though, with many people saying that the fountains get slimy even with frequent cleaning, and the motors are unreliable. Fully ceramic fountains seem to be of higher quality, according to reviews. I was excited to find some cute little ceramic fountains, but they're pretty pricey. They come highly recommended though. Basically, do I want to try some cheaper fountains first or just buy the expensive one and see what happens?

Here's a link to the Etsy shop that sells the fountains: Click here

Here's a picture of the one I like ($169.79 CAD):

Okay, so clearly I just wanted to show you pictures of my kitty. I'll get to the point.

1) Have any of you had a cat with this issue before? If so, how did you get them to drink from a safe place (dish, fountain, etc)?

2) If you have used a cat fountain before, what has been your experience?

3) Am I crazy (more than I already am) to consider spending that much money on a fountain for my cats?

PS: The vet has said to just keep track of his urine output and quality, and the frequency of his drinking. He seems to be getting enough water, cause all is well on the urine front. My cats also eat wet food twice a day, in addition to dry food. 

Okay, okay, just a few more kitty pictures!!

Here is my other cat, Levi, hugging his pillow full of catnip:

Thank you for reading my post! I hope the cat pictures were enjoyable! :D

I got a kitty fountain for my cats who love running water. Way cheaper than your possibility (less pretty too!) And....they completely ignored it. I was kinda pissed. I imagine it depends on the cat though.

I had a cat like this and our only solution was to get a recirculating water bowl. It worked - we went with the plastic kind with a ramp like thing that water flowed down, tried the fountain type but she didn't like that much movement. I didn't have problems with it getting slimy as long as I changed the filter regularly. It was expensive but really in the long run we probably saved money not having to replace shattered drinking glasses and buy band aids in bulk.

KITTY!!!! 

[i don't know if that was a helpful comment or not...]

My parents had a similar problem. I think  new bowls helped. And moving away the dishes from the food.

I also heard that some cats can take issue with the materials of the water dish itself.

Definitely true.  I bought a big ceramic water bowl for my cats and two out of the three of them refused point blank to drink out of it.

The same two cats are happiest when I turn on the tap in the bathroom sink for them, and they drink from the running water.  It's not practical (and extremely annoying when I'm downstairs and they're upstairs screeching to have the tap turned on), but it seems to have cut down now that I've found a big plastic bowl that they're prepared to drink out of.

I've also thought of the water fountain - looks like The Solution to me, but I have too much history with buying kitty toys and scratch posts and having them turn their royally spoilt noses up at them.

On a serious note - did your vet point out that increased thirst can also be a sign of kidney problems? (eta I say that because what you said above seemed to indicate that the vet is focusing more on whether or not your kitty is getting enough fluids, not that he might be needing too much.  I have to watch this with my oldest cat.)

Edited by MiaB

On a serious note - did your vet point out that increased thirst can also be a sign of kidney problems? (eta I say that because what you said above seemed to indicate that the vet is focusing more on whether or not your kitty is getting enough fluids, not that he might be needing too much.)

I came to say this.

In some cats, an early sign

of renal failure.

Edited by Bad Haiku

3) No no no not at all.  Kitty hydration is a must and we do what we have to!  It's great that they are getting wet food too.

On a serious note - did your vet point out that increased thirst can also be a sign of kidney problems? (eta I say that because what you said above seemed to indicate that the vet is focusing more on whether or not your kitty is getting enough fluids, not that he might be needing too much.)

I came to say this.
In some cats, an early sign
of renal failure.

Me three.  How long has Knuckles been so interested in water and cold water?  If it's a life-long habit, that's one thing.  A sudden development could be very serious, and -- I speak from experience, RIP, poor angel kitty -- early scans may not reveal much.  Other question is how old is he?  Older kitties 7+ years being more likely to have problems.

He is darling, and so is Levi, of course!  I can't get over the little tongue marks on the window, awww!

Thank you very much for all of your replies and links! And thank you for your concern about my kitty's health!

Knuckles is 2.5 years old, just a young boy! He has always been this way, especially his obsession with knocking over glasses and his water dish. I keep an eye on his intake and output, and it looks healthy to me. My oldest cat was diagnosed with acute renal failure when he was 4 years old, and Knuckles isn't setting off any alarm bells like my old cat did at the time (my old cat lived to be 17). Knuckles is still extremely active, running and jumping everywhere, eating his usual amount, and just being his general silly self. However, it wouldn't hurt for him to have another check up!

Koa, I thought about making my own fountain, but I would need to make sure the materials are safe to drink from. I used to have a lot of fish, so I'm familiar with keeping an aquarium healthy... Maybe a small aquarium with a good quality filter? My cats would be disappointed at the lack of live fish though. ;)

Edited by Parapluie

Para, you are a very good kitty mum.

the spirit of my C.C. cat prompts me to be an intrusive crazy cat lady where cat health is concerned. 

Knuckles being so young, maybe he will grow out of acting like an asshole to water containers.  do let us know if you build/buy something for him.  and what he thinks.  :D