CrazyBoards.org

Hi all - 

Started Depakote about 4 weeks ago. First 2-3 weeks were magical. It calmed my anxiety and dysphoric mood down incredibly. It felt like a magic bullet. The stomach side effects sucked at first, but I adjusted quickly.

Fast forward to this week, and I feel incredibly depressed. It came out of nowhere. I had been doing fine on Depakote, Wellbutrin, and Intuniv for almost a month, and then got smacked in the face with depression. True anhedonic, apathetic, tearful, miserable, flat affect depression.

I got permission to swap Wellbutrin (which I'd been on for the duration of this Depakote trial) for Lexapro, my old SSRI. Is an SSRI enough to control this? Will I need to hop off Depakote? I've heard its not truly meant for maintenance therapy, but I figured what works in the beginning should surely continue to keep working over a longer span of time. Perhaps I'm wrong. I was so happy to have gotten off Seroquel XR...Depakote definitely controls my agitation better.

I just hate that I yet again have to go back to my pdoc with another med failure after telling her things were going so well.

I had to come off Depakote because it worsened my depression (that and the fact that I wanted to eat anything that wasn't literally nailed down) so I understand where you are coming from. It's just a little puzzling that the depression came on after being on Depakote for a while. Maybe this is just a bad patch and you will pass through it rather than being a permanent side effect of the Depakote? In any case, I think you should let your doctor know what is going on and not worry about how well you told her things were going well. It happens. There are other options besides Depakote if in fact Depakote is to blame.

When I started depakote I was actually already in a depressive episode but had just come off of a hypo episode. It lifted my mood a little, enough that I can fake it and function pretty well but that's about all its done over the five or so months I've been on it. I just switched anti depressants but in january I'm getting taken off of depakote also and put on lamictal as my doctor thinks Ingot have more success with it. Just waiting for insurance to start in january. But, everyone is different. I found it to be okay but maybe not the best for me. What doesn't work for me though can work for others.

Hi all - 

Started Depakote about 4 weeks ago. First 2-3 weeks were magical. It calmed my anxiety and dysphoric mood down incredibly. It felt like a magic bullet. The stomach side effects sucked at first, but I adjusted quickly.

Fast forward to this week, and I feel incredibly depressed. It came out of nowhere. I had been doing fine on Depakote, Wellbutrin, and Intuniv for almost a month, and then got smacked in the face with depression. True anhedonic, apathetic, tearful, miserable, flat affect depression.

I got permission to swap Wellbutrin (which I'd been on for the duration of this Depakote trial) for Lexapro, my old SSRI. Is an SSRI enough to control this? Will I need to hop off Depakote? I've heard its not truly meant for maintenance therapy, but I figured what works in the beginning should surely continue to keep working over a longer span of time. Perhaps I'm wrong. I was so happy to have gotten off Seroquel XR...Depakote definitely controls my agitation better.

I just hate that I yet again have to go back to my pdoc with another med failure after telling her things were going so well.

Maybe try Prozac? Unlike most SSRI's, it has an effect on dopamine and norepineprine in addition to serotonin. It may be more effective for a depressive episode, particularly if your anxiety/agitation is being controlled by the Depakote. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11919662