CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
siamesedream

Has anyone experienced complete, irreversible amnesia?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, as I'm new to the site and haven't been diagnosed as DD. I've been diagnosed as Bipolar NOS (major depressive episodes and mixed episodes), but I know this forum will have more experience in answering my question...

A while ago, I was experiencing a mixed episode and started cutting again. I hid it from my boyfriend, but eventually I knew he would find out and told him about it. He completely, completely freaked out. I'd trusted him and something just snapped inside me...

The next thing I remember is being pinned down on the bed, wrapped in a blanket and my boyfriend asking whether I had calmed down and he could let me go. He was bruised and bleeding from me attacking him, but I have absolutely no recollection of doing this.

It's not like I simply felt unreal or detached from myself. 'I', my sense of self, had disappeared and something else took over. I would never do things like this in 'normal' circumstances when I did not feel so deeply threatened and betrayed.This is the third time that something like this has happened to me in 5 years (I'm 21). It's not regular, but it's really damn scary.

The amnesia surrounding these events is complete and irreversible. Even when they tell me what happened and I try to remember, I don't remember. I've done some reading and it seems like this isn't even 'normal' by depersonalisation/derealisation standards. Has anyone on the forum experienced this?

I have had episodes with amnesia and lost time.  It doesn't happen to me much anymore, and as far as I know, I haven't hurt myself or anyone else during these episodes.  Once I took pictures on my iPhone during the time I was experiencing the episode.  I "woke up" in my car, in a lumber yard, very confused and scared.  I searched my phone to see if I had called or text anyone and that's when I discovered the pictures.  Apparently, I had gotten up early morning.  I went out to the mountains and watched the sunrise (pictures), then went to a coffee house (found pictures on my phone, a coffee cup and about a dozen pastries in my car),  I found pictures of myself (these pictures are all clearly selfies) sitting in a huge spool of orange cable???  I have no memory of any of these activities.   That was the last episode and it was about 8 months ago.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nanna
      It's been a long while since my last visit here, and even longer since last writing anything.
      I don't know where to write this, or even what to write, but there really is no one else to talk to.
      So... long story short, I attempted suicide about 6 months ago (not my first try), and obviously, failed at that, again. I have been in a relationship more or less 5 years now, and I guess I can summarize that into "it's complicated". Things have been going from bad to worse since the suicide attempt. To a point that few weeks ago, my (I don't know what to call him, "partner"?) was violent towards me (not really the first time this kind of thing has happened, but certainly the worst).
      He so angry all the time (at me, I guess.. and certainly some of it is completely justified), it feels like he is expecting me to be "grateful" for him saving my life, and when I can't, it makes things even worse.
      It doesn't really make things any easier, that we both have some pretty serious issues. Me with depression, and trauma-related dissociative "disorder" (?), or at least a tendency to dissociate in difficult situations. And he with alcohol abuse, and some traumas of his own.
      Anyway, right now we are still living in the same house (he is occupying most of the space, and I am kind of living in my workroom) but we don't really have a "together-life". I don't have a lot of friends in general, and the few I have are living relatively far from where I live. My mother lives not-too-far-away, but we aren't very close, and I can't imagine talking to her about this.
    • By MisterMelancholy
      I've been experiencing depersonalization frequently recently but I don't understand why. I probably don't fit the criteria of depersonalization disorder so the only other reason I could experience is if I used a psychedelic substance, which I do not. I've been wondering if depression is the cause of the depersonalization as it often, but not always, happens during MDD episodes. Could this be correct?
    • By Dewey
      Deleted post and closed due to lack of response.
    • By Dewey
      Latuda is off the table for now due to the weird reaction.  We were considering Depakote, but psych doc just called and nixed that idea due to my NAFLD and chronic hyperammonia issues.  So, he wants me to start back on Zyprexa tonight and to call him tomorrow to see how I am doing.  He has been calling me daily over the past two weeks.  Several neighbors are suggesting assisted living, but my psych doc is saying no way, I'm not at that stage yet.  However, my mother started dementia at my age, but his position in this is that when on Zyprexa, it cures the confusion and other debilitating symptoms at least for awhile.  He says that if I had early dementia, I would not respond to the Zyprexa as well as I do.
      My neighbors are now concerned due to my inability to think straight and confusion which they are picking up on.  I have known this for sometime and have expressed my concern many times over my brain feeling like it is falling apart and unable to function in the real world.  Finally my psych doc is taking me seriously. 
      Dissociation is with me all day long, extreme anxiety and fear/panic/dread all day long, confusion is there all day long, just feeling unwell with these chronic migraines is keeping me in bed 3 days out of 5 days.  This is not a functioning life for me.  I am afraid to leave my apartment, I am afraid to hear from my neighbors that I am confused and not functioning well.  These daily reports are just overwhelming me.  I now turn off my phone, close my blinds and live in a shroud of secrecy.
      I will be seeing my headache/neurologist/seizure doc this week and will bring this up to him as well.  I hope I can make the appointment.
      Just sitting here after taking .5 mg of Klonopin to take the edge off.  Will start the Zyprexa this evening or sooner.
      Just a few points about my environment.  Two neighbor threatened my life here (verbally), neighbors that I get close to pass away suddenly (one right in front of me) (I live in an independent living facility and I am the youngest here - most have varying degrees of psychosis/dementia - hard to live with).  I went to a party last week and I sat alone at my table while others crowded around with each other excluding me.  I left and came home very depressed.  I am an easy target where I live, bullies come after me. I have no trust with anyone who lives here anymore. Have been here a year and can't connect with anyone, very depressing, so I stay alone in my apartment.   I do not drive and with my agoraphobia, leaving my home and venturing out alone is very very scary to me. 
      Just not a life that I want to keep living.  I have to get on something to help calm down my brain so I can function in the world.  I have been on most medications now and nothing works or the side effects are too harsh.  It's just becoming too hard now to function in this world. 
      Well, thanks for reading *smiles*