CrazyBoards.org

Christmas sucks

tibbycat

If Christmas were a person it would suck, all the forced merriment, the being nice to people you don't really like "because it's Christmas", spending all your money on cheaply made, high-mark up "gifts" for friends and family, being stuck in the same house for days with your relatives, they say you can't chose your family and they are not wrong, add to the mix depression and you have a recipe for boredom, resentment and lets face it anger.

I used to love Christmas, but each year it get's more and more tedious, i have actually this year refused to put up a tree and im really not looking forward to 5 days alone with my family, they are actually at work on Christmas day so it will just be me and the cats.

Sorry if my Scrooge like rant has spoiled anyone's joy.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jury is still out on my Christmas woes.  I don't want to give my money to my brother and sister, because it would suck to lose said money,when I could use it for much better things, like increasing my trading account, so I don't need as much during the year I am going to save.  *sigh*

Yes, Christmas does suck.

I suspect Christmas sucks if you feel obliged to do things with and for people, rather than having expressions of true gratitude for your relationship.

For me, it's all about the pagan roots of finding light in the dark time of the year.

"I'm now getting pretty fed up of all the xmas adverts on tv."

Only now?

Bright pretty people / perfect families money on things hardly anyone needs, with the implication (it wouldn't pass muster if stated) that you too could be like them, if only you had the clothes, computer, cologne...

Oh, and sitting down to enough food to choke an elephant or a great white shark.

A certain detachment helps.

"Do you approve of the proceedings, sir?"

"I note them. With interest".

(The Prisoner: Fall Out) 

I'm also discovering the sheer number of awful films with Christmas themes that exist, and are now all over the schedules, often nose-to-tail in some warm, pink, sugary traffic jam.

<shudders>

My escape route is to old (mainly black and white) classics where I know every line. 

"That wan't a six-gun, it was a rifle!"

"Woolly didn't have no rifle..."

"Katie weighs all of two tons, remember."

"My, you're a mess, aren't you?"

"I'm not very tall either,,,"

"Would it help if you said I designed it?"

"Gentlemen of the court, there are times that I'm ashamed to be a member of the human race,

and this is one such occasion."

and so on.

Chris

For me, it's all about the pagan roots of finding light in the dark time of the year.

Ah...the merry glow of a burning monastery behind me while my warriors and I make off with our looted gold!

Oop, sorry, wrong incarnation...

Ah...the merry glow of a burning monastery behind me while my warriors and I make off with our looted gold!

Oop, sorry, wrong incarnation...

For you, then, the Saga of Biorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5w262XvCU

Chris

If I have to hear "The little drummer boy" one more time, I am going to lose my marbles (whatever I have left ;) ) Also Mariah Carey, Wilson Phillips, Celine Dion. Can't stand it. The other day I heard a hip hop version of "Last Christmas". <_<

first year i haven't even put up a tree.  i give up.  i am not well, and all i see around me are people excited about all this stuff i am unable to do.  yes i would very much like to be able to stand the extended family reunions.  i would love to have money for gifts that express how much i care for people.  i would love to be able to go shopping without losing my mind.  as it stands, this holiday just means "look how much you suck because you can't spoil your family and friends".  i wish i could go back to the days when i enjoyed all this unnecessary crap.  it was still crap back then, but i was able to participate, so it was fun crap.

I probably wouldn't hate/dread Christmas so much if I didn't have to cook. I'm supposed to somehow whip up a fabulous dinner, when in reality I can barely fry an egg. I feel a lot of pressure and stress about that. I have simplified the menu to the utmost I can, and family members pitch in and bring a pie (but never pumpkin, so I always get stuck making that too), wine, and coffee (did I mention I can't make decent coffee either?). But still, for about a month ahead of time the black cloud above my head is visible to everyone. Mostly I try to pretend it's not Christmas. Fortunately, they do not play Christmas music at work, or I would be going bonkers. There is a lot of good Christmas music--so how come nobody ever plays it? It's always Mariah Carey or someone yodeling their autotuned way through "Do You Hear What I Hear" or "The Little Drummer Boy." My ideal Christmas would be to have everyone over for lasagna--which I actually make really good lasagna--garlic bread, and salad, followed up by store-bought limoncello cake. It would be easy to cook, casual, and no leftovers! Oh well, maybe next year.