CrazyBoards.org

anxiety and the need to be doing something

I am having some psychosis right now and I'm also incredibly anxious. If I have nothing to occupy my mind I have to be asleep or I go crazy. I have to be talking to people or something, not just watching tv or doing something alone. I don't think it's just the psychosis doing this but what else could it be? How can I stop this? I'm going out of my mind and just want to be at rest.

I'm confused because when I have anxiety that is very strong the last thing I feel like doing is being around people. It sounds like you might be having akstashia ... I think I spelled that wrong. It could be due to one of your mess. Are you n abilify? It is the one a lot of people complain abut a similar symptom ...

That sorta sounds like akathasia.. I get like that once in a while. I take meds (artane) for it, but it still comes through occasionally. It might not be that, though, I obviously can't diagnose over the internet or in real life.

You may need a med tweak. Talking to people is good, try not to isolate. Get in to see your pdoc and explain it like you've explained it to us. 

I find sleep helps. I also read a lot, teach myself new things (like programming languages), talk to others. I taught myself how to loom knit a while back and find it really relaxing. Do things that relax you. Definitely tell someone in your care team, because they can help you through it. 

I am having some psychosis right now and I'm also incredibly anxious. If I have nothing to occupy my mind I have to be asleep or I go crazy. I have to be talking to people or something, not just watching tv or doing something alone. I don't think it's just the psychosis doing this but what else could it be? How can I stop this? I'm going out of my mind and just want to be at rest.

i am so there with you.  i have accomplished many many meaningless tasks lately because if i don't have something to distract me i'm going to - i don't know, but it's bad.  for me the best distraction is people that don't actually make me more anxious (that's a short list).  i have to walk or clean things or do something physical to get it out of me, whatever this is.  if i'm not too physically wound up, things like colouring are distracting enough and kinda calming - but i have to have music or the tv or something on while i'm doing it, or else i'm just listening to my head which is NOT a good idea.  and when none of that works?  i take something so i can sleep (i cannot get there on my own without three hours of excruciating rumination and racing thoughts, like anybody's gonna stay in bed for THAT without meds).

i don't know what to call it for you.  for right now, my pdoc is just calling it way off the charts anxiety.  i think she flipped a coin between that and dysphoric hypomania, and anxiety got the heads up.  so maybe either is the case for you too?  i was put on an old AP (nozinan) to help stomp this down last week, and at first the sedation DID stomp it down, but i'm becoming tolerant so now it's coming back (guess i need an increase).  do you think your pdoc might want to tweak your meds so that you can get some relief?  feeling like this is definitely something that your docs should know about.

i hope you feel calmer soon.  i know this SUCKS.

but i have to have music or the tv or something on while i'm doing it, or else i'm just listening to my head which is NOT a good idea.  and when none of that works?  i take something so i can sleep (i cannot get there on my own without three hours of excruciating rumination and racing thoughts, like anybody's gonna stay in bed for THAT without meds).

^This helps me also ... having multiple things going on at once ... music, TV, then something else, whatever it can be to keep my mind moving and not ruminating about things I don't want to be/don't need to be/that aren't helpful.  Then if that doesn't work I resort to finding a way to sleep. 

Thanks sooooooo much everyone. You've given me great ideas and it helps to know I'm not alone. I called my pdoc today and he upped my Latuda. I think I may have been wrong and it could be anxiety from the psychosis so maybe it will help. I don't have too many people I can talk to about this. Only my husband and parents, no friends. That makes it hard.