CrazyBoards.org

Any good long term OCD medications without weight gain side effect?

I tried zoloft and lorazepam. Zoloft weight gain and lorazepam was only for short-term.

Any suggestions what I can try next?

Are you positive the Zoloft was directly responsible? I was on 200 mg for an extended period of time and never noticed any weight gain. If you are, you could try Prozac, which is an atypical SSRI and many find to be stimulating. 

I tried zoloft and lorazepam. Zoloft weight gain and lorazepam was only for short-term.

Any suggestions what I can try next?

Are you positive the Zoloft was directly responsible? I was on 200 mg for an extended period of time and never noticed any weight gain. If you are, you could try Prozac, which is an atypical SSRI and many find to be stimulating. 

zoloft has and still is one of the worst meds for me WRT weight gain. i never fail to gain at least 50 pounds on it (and often more). but it works for OCD in my case.

with that said - jt is right. its a highly individual thing. there are some meds which are less likely to cause weight gain but that doesn't mean that you won't/will gain weight on a certain med. what med works for your OCD is also a highly individual thing - which further complicates things.

i don't have any good suggestions. just wanted to add that in.

Like others have said, it's highly individual. Nobody can really predict which side effects you'll have from any individual med.

That said, from what I understand, Luvox is supposed to be good for OCD and it's not supposed to cause weight gain. I can't vouch for it personally, though, I've never been on it. 

Like others have said, it's highly individual. Nobody can really predict which side effects you'll have from any individual med.

That said, from what I understand, Luvox is supposed to be good for OCD and it's not supposed to cause weight gain. I can't vouch for it personally, though, I've never been on it. 

thanks. Ive been on lexapro for 4 days now for ocd, gad and sa. 10mg. it increased my anxiety but that's normal for the first 2 weeks.

I found Luvox quite useful for anxiety and it kicked in fast, for an SSRI. It's got a short half life, so you often have to take it multiple times a day. You can go as low as 25mg, or up to 300mg. I had few side effects (the usual sexual ones) and no weight gain.

Good luck!