CrazyBoards.org

Fellow SZ diagnosed friends, did you make an attempt to work before turning to disability, if so how many times? 

I personally had two attempts at office work thus far and failed on the first day.. Each attempt landed me in bed exhausted, unable to move, an depressed for 72 hours. 

Edited by Equivilency

Both times I had a psychotic episode I had just started a wonderful new job I was excited about. I'm hoping to try for a third time in the new year, and that it doesn't touch off an episode again. It took me 3 1/2 years to get a second interview, it will kill me if I blow it again.

did you make an attempt to work before turning to disability

Yes.

if so how many times?

Many.

I was on disability for about six months last year, really helped in getting myself back into a stable head space. If you feel that working is hard for you at the moment, then it's worth going on it until you are more stable. 

Fellow SZ diagnosed friends, did you make an attempt to work before turning to disability, if so how many times? 

I wasn't able to ... fresh out of college I was already ODing before graduation, and over the next year I became a mess (understatement) and immediately went on SSDI (my mom basically did it all for me because I was incapable doing it myself).  I did try working part-time a couple of years later, but it didn't work out.  The anxiety got the best of me.

I worked twice. Once when 16 or so. Then I worked at a store when 18 for 4.5 years before becoming severely disabled. I never got to finish college. I loved school too. Very sad. I loved my job too. I still dream that I work there. Bizarre. Now I'm probably going to be on SSDI for the rest of my life.

I haven't worked for ten years, except for a couple years ago I got a job as a housekeeper for three weeks. I couldn't handle it. I got on disability a couple of months ago, but I hardly make anything at all. Been thinking about trying to find a job again, I need the money. I've been relatively stable for 8 months now.

At age 19, after high school, I joined the military part-time. I went on to boot camp basic training for 7.5 months. I graduated. Then when I came back, I worked part-time as a cashier at the grocery store for about 7 months.

I quit in order to concentrate on college 3/4 of a time. After about 1.5 years of college I had to quit when SZA hit me at age 23. SZA hit me in 2005 that's when I quit college and never could go back because anxiety gets the best of me.

When I tried 1 class last semester at a community college, it was so stressful. I was sweating in class due to anxiety, also was stressed out that the classroom wasn't comfortable. The seats are all stuck together next to each other.

I was uncomfortable being there. I hope I could go back to college and do well this time. Anxiety is more stable due to newer medications. 

First off, I am diagnosed with Schizotypal Personality Disorder.  

I worked 1 year before college, off and on in college when symptoms permitted, and then attempted to work regularly in grad school.  Working and grad school caused too much anxiety and caused very bad symptoms, so I dropped both and went on disability.

I was able to work in high school and through college at a grocery store, and as a diet technician at a hospital, but that only lasted until soon before I graduated.  So I was able to work, but it was way before all the stuff started happening.  I had no idea at the time that I'd be on SSDI my whole life.

• 3 weeks later...