CrazyBoards.org

Mood stabilizers for depression?

I take Lamictal and Tegretol for unipolar depression. I would be dead, literally, if not for the Tegretol. It keeps me from getting so low that I become suicidal. Some people, however, find that it doesn't help or even causes depression. I'm not exactly sure what the Lamictal does for me, but it helps a lot of people.

I have never tried a mood stabilizer. I've tried plenty of anti-depressants though- they either don't help at all or help for a little while and poop out after a couple months.

How should I go about asking my pdoc if I can try one without sounding like I think I know more than him?

I type up a document explaining my situation and read from it. I find it too hard to just come up with words at the appt. my pdoc takes my letter and puts it in my chart at the end. I think it helps her better understand what I am going through. Then we explore medications and I always have in the back of my head or written down which meds will work or not work meaning, I cant take AD's at all, and when I want to try something new sometimes I will do research prior to the appt. and bring a list of meds I am interested in.

Typing out a letter sounds like a great idea. I have a really hard time explaining everything I need to between the current appt and the last appt... I often forget stuff or I ramble on and on...

It was even put into my medical records by my IP pdoc that I had a hard time explaining things. He gave me the names of some tests I could take to bring to my appts. They were tests for anxiety and depression.

I write much better than I speak because I can think about it before writing it. Anxiety clouds my head and my mind goes blank a lot.

I'm going to start doing this-- starting with my upcoming appt with pdoc. :)

APs and AAPs are often used as mood stabilizers so if you are taking Thorazine you are already effectively taking a mood stabilizer. However, if you are interested in a more traditional mood stabilizer, I would just ask my doctor about it. It's not like you are asking for a benzodiazepine or a stimulant. The doctor will be open to the suggestion if he/she thinks you can benefit from it.

How should I go about asking my pdoc if I can try one without sounding like I think I know more than him?

Maybe say that your heard from others that (whatever medication) works really well with unipolar depression, and you wondered if you could try it.

Edited by melissaw72