CrazyBoards.org

Cracked's Harm OCD Article...

http://www.cracked.com/article_21834_5-realities-life-when-your-brain-wants-you-to-murder.html

I hate to be that oversensitive person but this did not fly over with me well.

I found it to be more triggering than helpful. I get it's supposed to be humorous but I was definitely rubbed the wrong way. The language was too casual for me I guess.

Kudos to the author for blatantly saying over and over "yah I wanna kill people lol" but I feel like anyone else who has this severely wouldn't be able to make light about it that easily.

I will say I've said a lot of the same things in explaining Harm OCD to other people but... eh.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Edit: I'm also side-eyeing a lot of people in the comments section going "I MUST HAVE THIS WOW!!!" because they've had like one or two intrusive thoughts like any neurotypical can have.

Edited by Paranoidling

I love it but laughing at my MI is how I keep from killing myself.  Anything you can't laugh at will kill you in one way or another.  This might actually be one of the best articles on the topic written from the layman's perspective that I've read.

Moving to the OCD board.

I'm tempted to pin a link to it to the top of the board.  

Seriously, once I remove myself from my thoughts and then look at them objectively, some of the stuff my brain comes up with is so weird it's fucking hilarious.  

My favorite example is the time I was sitting in a mall food court and couldn't finish my meal because all I could think about was getting up, holding down the person at the next table, and licking their eyeball.  I couldn't finish my meal and had to leave.  I was freaked out at the time but later I completely cracked up.  Whose brain does that?  

What differentiates OCD from psychosis is that in the case of OCD you know the thoughts aren't real.  On some level you eventually figure out it's your brain fucking with you.  Then you can go "Bad brain!  No cookie!" and laugh about what a silly thing your brain is.

The violent images of me murdering infants that pop into my head when around said infants is...well, it's like having a cruddy horror movie in my own head.

Except I don't cue the clips.

I also get images of me torturing the animals I'm petting sometimes.

For extra added fun, I was trying to make love to my ( now ex ) GF, when a very vivid image of her desiccated and squashed head intruded itself on me.

Yup, sexytime came to an abrupt stop.

I also had the impulse once to smash in her ribcage.

I wish I had the detachment to laugh at it, but it's too fucking...eugh. It's worse than actual blood and guts.

...I think it's the moral disgust I feel at these images, more than the images themselves.

Edited by Stickler

My major bone with this is that it's inaccurate. Not all harm OCD is Pure O, for one thing. Obsessions are not "urges", they are overpowering fears. In the case of harm OCD, it's repeated images of doing terrible things coupled with the overpowering fear that you might act on them or even want to act on them. It's not an "urge." An urge entails an actual desire to do something. It's the fear of an urge. 

I have harm OCD and this article is just... not accurate. The author even went down in the comments and was like "WAIT YOU DON'T ACTUALLY WANT TO ACT ON THEM YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE AFRAID OF US" because her article was not clear at all and everyone in the comments was confused as hell because she made it sound threatening.

I rate this article Shit/10.

My favorite example is the time I was sitting in a mall food court and couldn't finish my meal because all I could think about was getting up, holding down the person at the next table, and licking their eyeball.  I couldn't finish my meal and had to leave.  I was freaked out at the time but later I completely cracked up.  Whose brain does that?  

I once saw a little girl dining with her even littler brother unattended in the kids' section at IKEA lick her brother's face clean of macaroni and cheese after he resisted her attempts to clean his mouth off with one of those hard brown paper napkins. Then they both smiled at each other, totally content with their solution, while I laughed so hard I cried and people edged away from me because no one else had seen it.

So you could conceivably turn that urge into a useful public service.

I love it but laughing at my MI is how I keep from killing myself.  Anything you can't laugh at will kill you in one way or another.  This might actually be one of the best articles on the topic written from the layman's perspective that I've read

Nah I get it, there's times when I can laugh about some of the delusions I've had but this article just made me downright uncomfortable.

"...because I love you." lol 

Didn't read the whole thing just the headers and a few bits and pieces because my attention is shit right now. But I wasn't particularly offended despite the harm part of my OCD being the most bothersome. I think it explains what it is without the potential of normal people being absolutely disgusted by us because we're psychopathic freaks of nature (not that we are, but people could think we are because our thoughts are effed up). But I also joke about my MI. IP pdoc once said she wished she had my sense of humor if she was crazy. 

• 4 weeks later...

This kinda pisses me off. I have awful Harm OCD and it's something I really hate myself for because part of me wants to murder every person in sight in the most gruesome, horrendous way. I sit and plan in depth murders and disposals of the body to the point where I know if I did do it, I'd get away with it. That scares me. I'll see any object and think about ways I could manipulate it into a lethal weapon. And while I sound like a vicious criminal, the only person I hurt is myself.