CrazyBoards.org

I've been reading a lot on this board about the new Fetzima. I was put on it four weeks ago by my GP when my Cymbalta just didn't seem to get the job done anymore. I've been on antidepressants off and on since 1996 but wasn't diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and ADD until four years ago. Up until then I had been on every drug you can imagine for depression. Cymbalta changed/saved my life, but my insurance company began to only supply me with generic, and I could tell immediately that it just wasn't the same. I started getting brain zaps, and that would usually only happen if I missed a dose. So my GP suggested Fetzima. The first couple of weeks I had the zaps and was a bit fuzzy in the brain, but all in all the transition was a smooth one. I felt decent and was just glad to be taking a non-generic for a change. Then last Friday night happened.

12/19/14 went to holiday party and proceeded to poison myself with shots of liquor. By 10 p.m. I had fallen down twice, blacked out (although I was awake) and could not stop throwing up. (Not typical behavior when I drink!) Husband drove me home. I did not take my Fetzima that night because I knew I would throw it back up. Threw up all the next day until around 3 when I could finally keep some soup down. That's when I took my Friday dosage of Fetzima. Had to stay in bed because I was so physically ill. Slept a majority of the time, took Fetz at normal time Saturday night. Sunday was still ill, brain not functioning correctly, irrational thoughts, completely depressed, slept most of the day and night. Took Fetz on time Sunday night. Monday was hoping to feel better but depression was worse. Fought with husband who doesn't understand what's going on, threw a fit and threw crap around the house, scared the cats, announced that I hate Christmas and I hate my birthday (on Xmas day), I don't want people at my house on Christmas, I don't give a crap about the stupid gifts and everything can be thrown in the trash for all I care. Threatened to leave my husband to be alone at our lake house, he wouldn't let me leave because (mostly) he thought I would hurt myself there or on the way up have a wreck on purpose. I scared him and scared myself that I was being so irrational. I told him of suicide plans that I had made back in the 90s, that it's always there in the back of my mind. He asked if I needed to go to the hospital but I eventually calmed down and showered for the first time in two days and brushed my teeth for the first time in three. I took two Klonopin and slept most of the rest of the day. I felt insane.

I now feel incredible guilt for my behavior which compounds this helpless feeling. I want to feel better so today I'll be leaving the house for the first time since Friday. But I'm still here crying, guilty... Everything was fine until the alcohol Friday night. I haven't eaten hardly anything, trying to stay hydrated with water but I'm hardly peeing and can't remember the last time I pooped. I don't know if I'm not eating because I'm not hungry or if I'm just trying to hurt myself? I've lost 10 pounds since November... not on purpose, just burning more calories than I eat. I'm a runner but haven't been able to since last week because the weather is so bad and I really don't know right now if I could run if I tried.

Am I doing this to myself - am I in control of my actions, or did all that alcohol and Fetzima really affect my brain so significantly? My family has been through a lot these past two months; my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 renal cancer and had to have her kidney removed and three tumors in the artery from the kidney to the heart, the same week I started taking Fetzima. I have been strong for her and my family but everything seems to be crashing down now. I had been fine until Friday night. This is supposed to be a wonderful time of the year but I just want the holidays over so I can get back into a routine. I am a teacher and I hold my shit together and I'm a professional but these last 4 days have been the worst of my life. I have presents to wrap and I don't even care if they get wrapped at all. I have got to have a better day today.... certainly my brain cannot still be mucked up from the alcohol 4 days ago???

Has anyone else had this experience... getting REALLY drunk on Fetzima (I weigh 107 and had probably 10 or more Fireball shots) and then being bed-ridden for four days??? I'm desperate for advice... I don't talk to my friends about this because I'm embarrassed, and my husband has never suffered from mental illness, so while he tries to make things better, (yesterday he told me I needed to snap out of it - I snapped alright), he only makes things worse. And that compounds my guilt also. When am I going to feel better? Can alcohol + Fetzima basically make someone go insane???

Edited by spazzysteph
  • Like 1

Hello spazzysteph

I know it's been a few weeks since you switched from Cymbalta to Fetzima, but I'll bet the farm that what you're going through is Cymbalta withdrawal.

Please go to cymbaltawithdrawal.com, research others' experiences, and post your story there. You'll get the guidance and answers you so desperately need right now.

I was on 60mg/day of Cymbalta for ~ 4-5 years for depression & arthritis pain. I stopped taking it cold turkey (BIG MISTAKE) on November 24, 2014. I expected some side effects and yes, I got brain zaps, mood swings, etc within a few days but ... the side effects from hell hit me HARD, and I mean HARD, about 21 days after I stopped the Cymbalta. Saddness, utter despair, hopelessness, horrible anxiety. If I hadn't already had an appointment scheduled with my GP on Dec 23rd, I would have had my husband check me into the psych ward on the 22nd.

Needless to say, there was no Christmas at our house this year. Like you, I was too embarrassed to tell anyone what was going on but I finally had to tell my adult children and other immediate family. After all, how else could I explain not seeing them at this time of year?

I'm so glad I did. It made me realize how much the burden of coming up with excuses was contributing to my anxiety.

My GP put me on Prozac and Xanax to help with the cymbalta withdrawal. The Xanax, which I take sparingly, helped immediately. The Prozac, like all SSRI's will take 2-4 weeks to kick in but Prozac is a cake walk to withdraw from compared to Cymbalta.

Unfortunately, you will find that it takes some people months, even years to recover from the effects of Cymbalta. I pray to God I am not one of them and that you won't be either. Again, please go to the website I mentioned above. You'll be shocked at what you read.

God bless,

BambooHut

• 2 months later...

Hey, so I can definitely see that happening if you took 10 shots. I started fetzima about a month and a half ago and have dranken a few times. It goes horribly wrong almost everytime. One night, early on maybe the first 2 or 3 weeks I had taken it, I had a few glasses of wine. Instead of making me sleepy, it made me incredibly anxious. I freaked out over something small and was panicking and crying so hard that I couldn't even breathe. I started hating myself and started thinking about suicide (I never get suicidal this was a first). I wanted to hurt my self so badly so i cut myself, then I freaked out and cried some more and went to sleep. I woke up so ashamed and depressed and confused and just wanted to sleep all day. The following day I felt normal and happy again. Another time i had a few margaritas, i got into a screaming and crying match with my friend ( I do not argue or fight with my friends ever really especially not when I am drunk) I was an emotional mess and couldn't get out of bed the next day. Once again, the following day I felt normal and happy again. I definitly think alcohol is a horrible problem when mixed with fetzima. I would reccomend not drinking at all ( I realize its hard  I love to drink myself) But after a few times of facing the consequences you will see the clearly negative and horrible side effects of drinking on this medication and come to your own conclusion that its not worth it. Or just take my word for it!

• 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
    • By TheTeach
      Okay, I've always had EXCELLENT blood sugar, and I know the data about Cymbalta and A1C (that there can be an increase, but it's typically marginal and generally considered worth the risk).  Anyway, there seems to be a correlation between me starting Cymbalta (initially at 30 mg. coming off Viibryd and gradually getting to my current 90 mg. dosage).  At first the blood sugar spikes weren't very big, but now they are...my blood sugar is high way too often.  My A1C is still within totally normal range, but it's noticeably up.  My pdoc and the NP I see at my primary care doctor both think Cymbalta probably isn't the cause.  There is no other reason I can think of.  I've lost 20 lbs., my diet hasn't changed.  As far as I know there's no infection in my body.  Now this has been going on since December.  The numbers have only really become concerning to me since April.  I used to have blood sugar that often dipped a bit too low, so this is just so weird to me.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a significant rise in blood sugar on Cymbalta?  Nothing else changed with my medication, except I went off Buspar (and I doubt that is a factor).  I have tried so many anti-depressants like many of you, and I really like Cymbalta, so I'm really hoping I don't have to go off it, because Viibryd and Trintillex were my other 2 best options, and I had side effects with both of them.  I can't do things like Pristiq because of extreme sweating, which is too bad, because that was the only side effect I had. There are very few anti-depressants I haven't tried. I ended up on Cymbalta (and my pdoc, who I have seen for 15 years was shocked we'd never tried it), because we discovered that Viibryd was a big contributor to my tiredness (I have what is currently diagnosed as Idiopathic Hypersomnia, although my doctors believe it could be Narcolepsy II...it's not Narcolepsy I, because I had a Lumbar Puncture.  I've also had 2 MSLTs, but my doctor says they are irrelevant, because I was on my meds...they did still show Idiopathic Hypersomnia.  After going off all psych meds last Summer (and feeling like I was suffocating most of the time and just feeling like I was living outside my body), I never want to do that again, so I'm content with not knowing which sleep disorder it is since the doctor says it really doesn't make a difference as far as treatment).  It was in slowly going back on my medications that I realized Viibryd was making me tired.  My pdoc and I also then concluded I no longer needed the Buspar.  I haven't missed it at all.  Any experiences with blood sugar and Cymbalta would be helpful!  I appreciate you all!
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By CrazyCatLady83
      I started process of switching from Cymbalta to Remeron on March 25, and took my last dose of Cymbalta a few days ago. Other than a few days of extreme irritability, things have been going surprisingly smoothly. Except that I can't sleep. Not really. I'm rapid-cycling between moments of being awake and instantly dreaming as soon as I close my eyes. The waking moments seem precipitated by startling effects in the dream state, that usually have nothing to do with the content of the dream itself. The worst of these is the sudden sensation of being physically attacked by an evil presence. It seems to take me a little bit longer to wake up during these instances. Or at least that's how I perceive it.
      How much of this is potentially the residual Cymbalta withdrawal effects, and how much of this is the "strange or unusual dreams" listed as a possible side effect of the Remeron? 
      And more importantly, how long can I expect this to last? If you experienced disturbed dreams while on Remeron, how long did it last for you, and did it turn out to be a deal breaker?