CrazyBoards.org

The day I started Depakote (day before Thanksgiving) I began having severe GI issues. I've been to GI and he wants to do coloscopy and endoscopy.  ER cleared me of pancreatitis which is a concern with this med. 

Can Depakote cause ulcers? It is valproic acid. My intestines just feel like I have a raw spot and I've been in pain too long.

My experience with Depakote over the last 6ish months....it has caused me some stomach issues etc, most of which you really do not want me to elaborate on. It has settled down quite a lot though. If you are in a lot of pain then I would suggest you keep on your doctor about this until they can figure out the problem. Or maybe you can ask for a different medication?

When I took Depakote, I had a lot of stomach issues in the beginning. There is a Depakote extended release that my doctor recommended, that helped a lot for me. I also found that eating a small snack with each dose helped with the stomach issues. But definitely talk to your doctor. 

I could only tolerate 500mg of the original Depakote, or I was vomiting constantly. Even at 500mg, I was vomiting once or twice a week, which was still better than migraines. I stopped it, and then started it again many years later, and they now have Depakote SR; I could tolerate much more (1750mg at one point), and it really helped.

But I took it for migraine, it had no effect on my mood.