CrazyBoards.org

I'm a low dose of Risperidal ( 2 mg) for a range of issues. It certainly helps with intrusive thoughts, which is a major issue of mine. However, I'd like to up the dose and cannot due to elevated prolactin. So I am

considering a switch Geodon. If anyone with experience with these two medications would like to chime in, it would be appreciated :)

P.S. I'm dxed as Bipolar with psychotic features, and OCD

Risperdal did not sedate me. Geodon didn't the first time but the last two tries it did. I too had to get off risperdal due to lactation or elevated prolactin. Same thing happened with Invega.

I like abilify and latuda and Seroquel better. I'm going off seroquel though if all goes well due to weight gain. Such a shame, it works well.

Good luck with whatever change you decide to do!

Risperdal did not sedate me. Geodon didn't the first time but the last two tries it did. I too had to get off risperdal due to lactation or elevated prolactin. Same thing happened with Invega.

I like abilify and latuda and Seroquel better. I'm going off seroquel though if all goes well due to weight gain. Such a shame, it works well.

Good luck with whatever change you decide to do!

Thanks for the input. You're on three seperate AAP's? Holy cow!

I've used both, and had trouble on Geodon. YMMV, but I had to come off of it faster than any other med I have ever taken.

I use risperidone to stomp on manias, but usually stay on it for only 6-8 weeks after things have calmed down. After that point, it started to bug me, and I wish I could remember why, but I *always* asked to stop it after 2 mos.

Again, YMMV.

I've been on both, but was on Risperdal Consta, the long acting injection. I found it not sedating at all, it controlled my moods well, but not so much the psychosis. However, it was more helpful for psychosis than Geodon. I never had prolactin problems on the injection. I did on the oral pill, but I was also on something to raise my prolactin at the same time, so I ended up with very high prolactin.

I took Geodon for a while at 160mg, and it made me nauseous for one, and didn't do much for mood or psychosis. It sedated me in the morning, but when I took it at night (I had it in divided doses, 80mg am, and 80mg pm) I couldn't sleep.

Geodon has a lower rate of EPS, better at treating depression (slightly) than Risperdal, doesn't normally cause a lot of weight gain, if any (I lost weight on it), both are about even with helping negative symptoms.

I've been on both, but was on Risperdal Consta, the long acting injection. I found it not sedating at all, it controlled my moods well, but not so much the psychosis. However, it was more helpful for psychosis than Geodon. I never had prolactin problems on the injection. I did on the oral pill, but I was also on something to raise my prolactin at the same time, so I ended up with very high prolactin.

I took Geodon for a while at 160mg, and it made me nauseous for one, and didn't do much for mood or psychosis. It sedated me in the morning, but when I took it at night (I had it in divided doses, 80mg am, and 80mg pm) I couldn't sleep.

Geodon has a lower rate of EPS, better at treating depression (slightly) than Risperdal, doesn't normally cause a lot of weight gain, if any (I lost weight on it), both are about even with helping negative symptoms.

What' the best med you ever tried for psychosis?

What' the best med you ever tried for psychosis?

I'm on a long acting depot injection of a medication called Piportil (not available in the US, but used in Canada, the UK, etc) and that really helps with psychosis with very few side effects. I find the long acting injections to cause less side effects than oral medication. I also take Seroquel, but am not at a high enough dose for psychosis.

Haldol (oral) comes in second. I tolerate typical AP's better than atypicals. I find I still have psychosis with the atypicals, but the typicals crush it. There is the problem of EPS, though, and a tiny possibility of TD, but rarely heard of anymore since the doses are much lower than they used to be.