CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Flash

I need a good recipe for ...

Veggie dip. I like veggies for snacks. There used to be this southwestern one I could get at the store that I liked, but I can't get it any more. The replacements are too much like ranch or are too heavily based on sour cream or yogurt. I'm open to other flavors, but I would prefer if it was thick/clingy enough to coat the veggies without just falling off. Please feel free to ask for recipes for something else in this thread. Thanks in advance.

I use hummus or baba ganoush.

I also like blue cheese dressing, sometimes. But then you get into the yogurt.

Southwest flavour is cumin and chili powder along with some onion and maybe some rosemary and coriander. I'd try mixing those with yoghurt and using that as a jumping off point.

Thanks. Hummus and baba are always welcome, but I was thinking something more along the lines of southwest, dill, garlic herb, or onion. I'll try your suggestion for southwest. Maybe with a super-strained yogurt (Greek). I also like ajvar or eggplant spread with veggies and bread. There used to be this great Moroccan restaurant I used to go to that had the best dip for veggies and bread. Definitely on the tomato-onion-eggplant and probably cumin spectrum, if memory serves. It was a bit sweet, a bit spicy, and a bit sour. It was a bit chunky like a salsa or chutney. Yum!

Edited by Flash

OK, I tried chili powder with cumin, granulated onion, coriander, and salt using Greek yogurt for the base. It has a pretty good flavor, but is grainy from the ground spices. Was very quick to whip up, which is a plus.

I can't help you with veggie dip but umm, while I'm here, lol. Anyone have a good recipe for potato soup?

Potato, onion and/or leek, celery, Herbes de Provence, chicken or veggie broth. A little garlic and/or a splash of white wine or sherry if you're adventurous. Simmer until veggies are tender, then pulse with an immersion blender to desired consistency (or serve chunky). Add cream, salt and pepper. Garnish with chives or celery tops. Use about a 4:3:2:1 ratio of stock:potatoes:onion/leeks:celery. Maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp Herbes de Provence for every cup of chopped potatoes. Just a roughstimate.

Edited by Flash

I can't help you with veggie dip but umm, while I'm here, lol. Anyone have a good recipe for potato soup?

Potato, onion and/or leek, celery, herbs de Provence, chicken or veggie broth. A little garlic and/or a splash of white wine or sherry if you're adventurous. Simmer until veggies are tender, then pulse with an immersion blender to desired consistency (or serve chunky). Add cream, salt and pepper. Garnish with chives or celery tops. Use about a 4:3:2:1 ratio of stock:potatoes:onion/leeks:celery. Maybe 1/2 tsp herbs de Provence for every cup of potatoes. Just a roughstimate.

Thanks! :)

Flash, try your combination again, but let it sit overnight or at least for a couple of hours before you eat it.  Give it a good stir.  It can take a while for those spices to assimilate into the yogurt.

My favorite veggie dip used to be Knorr soup mix---the vegetable one.  Mix it with Greek yogurt or sour cream,  let it sit for a few hours and dip away.  It's probably loaded with sodium, but boy is it good.

I have a recipe for potato soup somewhere that involved caraway seeds.  I should get that out---my husband used to love it and I haven't made it in years.

olga

Yeah, I thought it might be better today. I'll see later.

I,ll have to try the Knorr. Certainly easy.

Caraway seeds go well with potatoes. Would love to see the recipe.

With respect to the salt:

Initial hypertension is related to excess Uric acid. After time, vascular lesions form in the kidneys. Only after that point does the hypertension respond to salt intake. Common sources of Uric acid include red meat, umami-rich foods, and ... Drumroll ... Sugar. Well, fructose specifically. It was determined that lowering Uric acid levels can prevent high blood pressure as well as vascular lesions. See The Fat Switch, a fascinating book by Richard J. Johnson.

It's still grainy all these hours later. I think the problem is my use of granulated rather than powdered onion. Couldn't find the other in my messy pantry.

Olga, are you thinking of the one in Recipe for a Hungry Planet?

(growing up with that as one of my mother's favourite cookbooks I can't help but call it The Hippie Cookbook).

Flash, yes--you should use powdered onion and garlic, or maybe mince up some green onions or shallots.

Rosie, it might be---Diet For A Small Planet.  I remember that it used powdered milk, which seemed like it would be gross,  but the soup was delicious.  I'll go look and report back later.

olga

Rosie was right---the recipe is from one of the original vegetarian cookbooks, Diet For A Small Planet.

Rather than copying out the whole thing from my cookbook, I'll give you this link to a blog.  The woman is using the recipe as it was originally written:

http://homesteadrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-favorite-potato-soup-recipe.html

However, I have never used all that oil.  I generally put in just a tablespoon or two of olive oil.  This is an excellent soup. If you want the liquid to be thicker, puree part of the soup and return it to the pot.

olga

That sounds really good. Maybe you can use regular milk instead of powdered?

Here's a simple one-pot meal. I usually add carrots, but I have done all kinds of vegetable combinations (bok choy, turnips, napa cabbage, etc.). I serve it with various pickles (kimchi, sweet daikon, spicy daikon, cucumber, ginger, etc.) and sometimes short-grain rice, but it can stand on its own if need be.

Stewed chicken with potatoes

----------------------------------------

1 pound boneless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes

2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 onion, chopped

2 Tbsp KOREAN red pepper flakes*

2 tsp crushed garlic

2 tsp sugar

3 Tbsp soy sauce (ideally Korean or Chinese thin [light, not reduced sodium] style)

1 Tbsp rice wine (sake)

2 tsp sesame oil

1/2 cup water

4 ounces scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths

Put everything but the scallions in a pot, stir, and cook for 20 minutes over a medium flame. Add scallions and cook for three more minutes. Serve hot.

From Dok Suni: Recipes from my mother's Korean kitchen by Jenny Kwak

*If you can't find this, use red pepper flakes (the type for pizza), but half as much. It won't be as good, but it'll still be tasty. You can also sub sherry for the rice wine, although I have never done it.

Edited by Flash

Flash, I generally buy tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.  Is there much of a flavor difference?

olga

I find tamari tastes richer and less salty. Soy sauce tastes more salty and like not much else.

Speaking of soy sauce... 

I made dead simple big batch dinner tonight... Peanut sauce with frozen mixed vegetables over brown rice. This made 6 servings of 3/4-1 c brown rice + 3/4-1 c vegetables and sauce

2/3 cup water

1/2 cup natural peanut butter

2 tablespoons rice vinegar, (see Ingredient note) or white vinegar

4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

4 teaspoons honey

4 teaspoons minced ginger (I used a couple tablespoons of crystalized ginger chopped up, and should have used less honey)

4 cloves garlic, minced

Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional) to taste

2  12oz bags frozen mixed vegetables (I used carrots, corn, peas, green beans but you could also use the California Medley with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)

2 c brown rice

4 c water

3-4 green onions (optional), sliced green tops only (add chopped white parts to the peanut sauce if desired)

Put water and rice in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn to low and let cook until there are holes in the rice and all water is absorbed (about 40 minutes total).

While the rice is cooking...

Heat a large skillet over medium heat while you...

Whisk together water, peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and red pepper/cayenne if using. 

Pour peanut sauce into the skillet.

Add the frozen vegetables and bring to a simmer while you wash the dishes.

When the sauce has thickened, put 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked brown rice in a bowl and top with 3/4 to 1 cup vegetables and sauce.

Garnish with scallions if desired.