CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Flash

I need a good recipe for ...

I made these a few years ago, and they turned out yummy. I often avoid recipes that call for making doughs, because I generally find them to be a pain for some reason ("it's just one more thing, and I'm not in the mood..." or whatever excuse I have). This dough is very easy and takes almost no time or effort, especially with a stand mixer. I started making the dough when the chicken filling was almost completely cool. It does have to set and rise for 45 minutes, so you have to take that into consideration. You can make the filling and/or the dough in advance and refrigerate it until needed. You might have to let the dough sit out (or in the oven again with only the light on) for a while before using it if you do it that way, though. The recipe is much easier and faster than it looks, so don't be deterred. Maybe around 15 minutes active time is all it takes (e.g., chopping, measuring, cooking, mixing, and bao-forming). The rest is just waiting for the filling to cool and the dough to rise. 
--------------------------------------

Filipino chicken and egg buns [Siopao] [I don't like hard-boiled eggs, so I omitted them]

Filling 

2 tsp regular soy sauce 
2 tsp lightly packed light brown sugar 
2 tsp oyster sauce 
a pinch of salt 
1/4 tsp ground black pepper 
1-1/2 Tbsp canola oil 
2 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into peanut-sized pieced [ I froze the chicken for a while to make cutting it easier]
1 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1-1/2 Tbsp water 

1 recipe basic yeast dough (see below)
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise into 6 wedges each [I hate hard-boiled eggs, so I left these out. If you want them, simply stick one wedge on top of the chicken mixture for each bao]

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, wok, or frying pan to medium or medium high heat. Add the garlic, stir twice, and then add the scallions. Stir and fry for 30 seconds. Add the chicken, stir a few times. Stir the seasoning mixture again and add it to the chicken. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Give the cornstarch mixture a final stir and add it to the chicken. Stir for 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and cool. When sufficiently cool, put in bowl, cover with plastic wrap or foil and put in fridge to cool fully.

Basic yeast dough for bao 

1-1/2 tsp rapid-rise (instant) yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp canola oil [I used peanut oil]
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
12-1/2 ounces (2-1/2 cups) bleached or unbleached all-purpose flour

Put the water in a small bowl [I simply used the pyrex measuring cup I measured the water in — no need to make more dishes]. Add the yeast and stir. Wait a minute, then stir in the oil and set aside.

Put the sugar, baking powder and flour in the mixer bowl. Mix on lowest setting for a little while to combine the ingredients. Stir the liquid mixture again, and pour in slowly (20 seconds for all) as mixer is going. Let machine continue going for another 45-60 seconds. If dough isn't quite in a ball, add a little more warm water, a tsp at a time. [I think I added
a couple Tbsp, prolly a bit too much but it didn't matter]. You can stir this together by hand and then knead for 5 minutes instead of using a mixer. Oil a bowl, take the dough out and form a slightly flatted ball, and put it in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or tin foil and put in the oven with the light on (BUT THE HEAT OFF!) for 45 minutes.

Roll the dough into a log on a lightly floured surface. Cut off as much as you need [I used 1/4 and then cut that into four pieces to make four bao], and wrap and store the rest in the refrigerator [I put it in that newfangled non-stick foil]. Cut the remaining dough into pieces to form something about the size of a walnut or golf ball. Roll them out into circles 1/4" thick [mine were thinner, more like 1/8", and I thought they were great balance of bun and filling]. Spoon a walnut/golf ball-sized amount of [cooled] filling into the center of each dough circle. Pick up the circle with one hand, and pull up the edges of the dough and pleat with the other hand as you go. Continue pleating all the way around and then twist and press at the top to fully enclose all the filling in the bao.  

Steam for 18 minutes and serve. 15 minutes might be enough, but I just kept them in for 18 to make sure. I had them with a hot mango chutney, but they were mostly better plain. I think I nice soy-based sauce would be a nice addition, though. When I make them again, I will probably use a little more soy sauce and oyster sauce in the filling. I think everything else was just about perfect, although maybe I might put a little more scallions in as well. My bao ended up about 3" in diameter after steaming. Add a soup and a small salad (or some pickled vegetables), and you can make a meal outta these.

From Asian Dumplings by Andrea Nguyen

Burn Your Mouth Collard Greens

By Brian Damage
Food.com
Added November 29, 2007

2 lbs bacon
salt
2 tablespoons hot sauce
3 -4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 bunches collard greens (approx 5 lbs)
2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:

Remove bacon from packages and without separating slices, cut bacon crosswise into 1-1/2 inch wide strips.

Fry in large (8 - 12 qt) stock pot over medium heat, breaking up pieces until browned but not crispy.

Spoon out excess bacon grease if desired. Let your conscience be your guide as to how much fat to leave in the pot.

Add garlic, stir and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

Add onion and crushed red pepper and continue to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.

Cover and reduce heat to a very low simmer and prepare the collard greens as follows:.

Discard any greens that are excesssively yellow, wilted or otherwise unattractive. Cut stems from greens by folding leaves in half and slicing along the stem.

Triple rinse greens in sink. Use 1 cup vinegar and several tablespoons of salt in first rinse to remove grit. Check bottom of sink after 3rd rinse - it should be relatively free of sand and grit - if not, keep rinsing.

Shake off excess water, stack greens on cutting board in layers and roll into a cylindrical shape. Cut slices across cylinder approximately 1/2" wide. (Purists would insist on tearing the greens into bite-sized pieces rather than cutting.).

Increase heat to medium. Slowly add greens to pot, stirring as you go. It will take some work to get them all in the pot, but they will wilt down as you go.

Once all of the greens have been added, add the 2 cans of chicken broth to the pot, stir well and bring mixture to a fast simmer.

Add hot sauce and salt to taste.

Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.

Simmer very slowly, covered, for at least one hour, but as long as 2 to 3 hours is preferable.

Stir in 2 Tbsp vinegar just before serving. note: some folks like to add a little sugar at the table. Some like a little extra hot sauce. To each his own.

This recipe goes very well with Dawn's Southern Pride Sweet Cornbread.

Read more at: http://soul.food.com/recipe/burn-your-m ... c=linkback

Edited by Flash

Brasserie Montmartre's Raclette Fondue

From The Orgonian
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

• 2 cups pinot gris wine

• 2 cloves garlic, smashed

• 2 shallots, quartered

• 2 to 3 sprigs thyme

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

• 1/2 cup butter

• 2 cups milk

• 6 ounces gruyère cheese, shredded

• 6 ounces raclette cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes [I used Jarlsburg, if memory serves]

• 1 pound boiled fingerling potatoes, cut into quarters lengthwise

• 1/2 pound high-quality charcuterie, such as artisan salami or prosciutto

• Various pickled vegetables, such as cornichons, cauliflower or green beans

• 2 loaves crusty baguette, cut into cubes

Instructions

Pour wine into a heavy saucepan and add garlic, shallots and thyme. Heat wine over medium-low heat until it just starts to boil, 3 to 4 minutes. Strain wine into a medium-sized bowl and set aside, discarding garlic, shallots and thyme.

In the same saucepan over low heat, whisk together the flour and butter to form a roux, stirring constantly to make sure it doesn't brown, until mixture is smooth and the raw flour flavor has cooked out, about 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat milk just until it starts to boil. Add the milk to the roux and whisk mixture until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add seasoned wine and whisk until mixture is smooth.

Begin adding cheese a handful at a time, whisking until each addition is melted and fully incorporated before adding another. Repeat process until all the cheese has been added and mixture drips from the whisk in solid sheets. Transfer fondue into a fondue pot or slow-cooker. Keep the fondue warm over an alcohol burner or in the slow-cooker on the lowest setting. Serve with accompaniments.

PER SERVING (fondue only): calories: 300 (63% from fat); protein: 12 grams; total fat: 21.1 grams; saturated fat: 13 grams; cholesterol: 63.6 mg; sodium: 113 mg; carbohydrate: 8.4 grams; dietary fiber: 0.2 gram

Pakon kho matek
(Caramelized shrimp with chili pepper. ) 

• Ingredients :
    • 1 Tablespoon water 
    • 1 Tablespoon sugar
    • ½ Cup water 
    • 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
    • 1 Tablespoon sugar
    • ¼ Teaspoon salt
    • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil 
    • 4 Cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 lb Shrimp. Peeled and de-veins.
    • 6 Chopped fresh chili pepper or to your taste(option)
    • 3 Stalk green onion, chopped ½ inch in length
    • ¼ Teaspoon black pepper 
  • Procedures : 
    First make caramelized sauce by put 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small sauce pan. Cook and stir frequently till sugar turns dark brown color, immediately pour ½ cup water over caramelized sauce, stirs well. 
    Add fish sauce, sugar and salt, stirs well, removed from heat and set a side.
    Heat up a skillet or wok with high temperature. 
    When skillet is hot, add oil, garlic and shrimp, stirs well. 
    Seasoning with prepared caramelized sauce and chili pepper, stirs till shrimp turns darker pink color.  
    Add green onion and black pepper, stirs well.
    Serve hot with rice.

From KhmerKromrecipes.com

This is a pretty good recipe adapted from The New Classic Chinese Cookbook by Mai Leung. 

a287e36fd1bf5185841f0bc9b88ef81c_zpspsaw

Szechwan Spiced Pork Shreds

4 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
3 scallions, cut into pea-sized pieces, including some green part
1/3 cup shredded bamboo shoots
1/3 cup dried cloud ears: soak in hot water until soft, rinse, drain, and discard tough parts

Pork mixture 
1/2 pound lean pork, cut into matchstick strips (I used boneless country-style pork "ribs," which worked well)
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp Shaoxing rice wine

Sauce mixture
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp black soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
1 tbsp Szechwan sweet bean paste
2 tsp Chinese red vinegar
2 tbsp water

Cornstarch mixture
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tbsp water

Heat coconut oil. Blanch the pork shreds until pork is no longer pink. Remove pork and drain on paper towels. Remove all but 1 tsp of oil from the wok. Add ginger and fry for several seconds. Add garlic and scallions and fry until garlic is fragrant. Add bamboo shoots and cloud ears. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add sauce mixture and cook until it bubbles. Add pork and stir-fry until pork is cooked, maybe a minute. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce is thickened.

Edited by Flash

This is a good pea and carrot dish from one of my favorite Indian cookbooks.

Peas and carrots with cumin (Gajar Mutter)

3 Tbsp oil

2 medium onions, finely chopped

1 green chili, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

1/2 inch square piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 tsp coriander powdwr

1 tsp cumin powder

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1 tomato, chopped

5 oz. (1 cup) (shelled weight) peas, fresh or frozen

3 oz. carrots, diced

salt

Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan and over low heat sauté the onion until brown. This will take 20-25 minutes. Then add the green chili, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 3 minutes.

Add the coriander, cumin, and cayenne powders, and the cumin seeds, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 3 Tbsp water and stir well. Continue cooking the spices for 3 minutes.

Add the tomato and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Then add the peas and carrots, cover, and cook until tender.

From The Great Curries of India by Camellia Panjabi

Edited by Flash

Quiche Lorraine

http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-to-make-classic-quiche-lorraine/

It's definitely worthwhile to make your pie dough from scratch, so don't skimp there. If you're vegetarian, you could try asparagus or spinach instead.

2 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced
Canola oil as needed
3-2-1 Pie Dough (see below)
1 pound slab bacon, cut into ¼-inch lardons (cubes) or thick-cut bacon cut into strips
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Nutmeg to taste (about 5 gratings)
½ cup grated Comté or Emmenthal cheese

Sauté the onions over medium heat in a film of canola oil. Cover them for the first 15 minutes to get them steaming and releasing their moisture, then uncover, reduce the heat to low, and continue cooking until they are cooked down but not overly brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside and let cool when they’re finished.

Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll out the dough to a thickness of about ¼ inch. Place a 2- by 9-inch ring mold or a 2- by 9-inch round cake pan on a baking sheet (line the baking sheet with parchment paper if you’re using a ring mold; if you’re using a cake pan, also line its bottom with parchment paper). Lightly oil the inside of your ring mold or pan. Lay the dough into the mold – there should be plenty of dough overhanging the edges to help it maintain its shape. Reserve a small piece of dough to fill any cracks that might open in the dough as it bakes.

3-2-1 pie dough

12 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 2 ¼ cups)
9 ounces butter (2 sticks), cut into small pieces, frozen
2 to 4 ounces ice water
½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt

Method using food processor:
Pulse the flour and cubes of butter together until the butter chunks are the size of peas. Add salt and pulse once or twice. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each addition. Stop adding water as soon as the dough starts clumping together (it shouldn’t all hold together in a ball yet, if it does, chances are you added too much water). Take the dough out onto a floured work surface. Use your hands to bring the dough together into a ball. Don’t overknead or the dough could become tough or shrink once cooked. Flatten the ball of dough into a disk and refrigerate (wrapped) for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

Method using your hands:
Combine the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub the butter between your fingers until you have small beads of fat and plenty or pea-sized chunks. Add the ice water gradually and a good pinch of salt and mix gently, just until combined. Don’t overknead or the dough could become tough or shrink once cooked. Shape the dough into a disk and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to roll.

Edited by Flash

Simple Potato and Green Pea Stew

3 tbsp ghee or oil

1 tbsp peeled or scraped and minced fresh ginger

2 hot green chili peppers, seeded and minced

1/2 tbsp cumin seeds

1 tsp black mustard seeds

1/4 tsp asafoetida powder (hing)*

8 curry leaves

2 medium-sized tomatoes (about 3/4 lb/340 g)' peeled seeded, and chopped

1-1/2 pounds (685 g) waxy new potatoes, peeled, and cut into 3/4" (2 cm) thick fingers

3/4 tsp turmeric

1 tbsp ground coriander

3/4 to 1-1/2 cups water

1-1/2 cups fresh peas (1-1/2 pounds / 685 grams) or frozen baby peas, defrosted

1-1/4 tsp salt

3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

*for yellow cobra brand. Use just a pinch of other brand

heat the ghee or oil. Add chili peppers, ginger, cumin seeds, and black mustard seeds. Fry until mustard seeds pop. Add asafoetida powder and curry leaves, and within seconds add the tomatoes. Fry for 2-3 minutes, or until ghee separates from the tomato purée.

add the potatoes, turmeric, ground coriander, and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, over. And cook for 15 minutes.

add the fresh peas, salt, and half of the fresh herb, Nd continue cooking, partially covered, until the potatoes are soft, but not broken down. If you are using frozen peas, add them in the last 2-3 minutes. Garnish with remaining fresh herb and serve.

From Lord Krishna's Cusine by Yamuna Devi, p. 209

The neat thing about Hare Krishna cuisine is that you never have to chop onions or garlic (but you will need to buy some asafoetida powder).

Print

Edited by Flash

Chicken with Green Chili and Holy Basil (Thai)

1 Tbsp oil

6 cloves garlic, pounded to a mash or crushed and chopped

8 medium Serrano chili peppers, stemmed and cut lengthwise into slivers

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2" thick slices

1 large onion, thinly sliced

2 Tbsp Fish sauce (I like red boat 40°N brand)

1 Tbsp sugar

1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar

1 Tbsp sweet black soy sauce (It must be SWEET soy soyce. Try to get healthy boy brand)

1-1/2 cups loosely packed Holy basil or fresh mint (you could also use Thai basil or even regular basil)

Set wok over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil. Rotate the wok so that the oil coats the sides. Add the garlic and chilies and stir-fry briefly, just until the garlic is golden and aromatic. Raise the heat to high. Add the chicken and onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes, separating the onion slices into rings as you stir. Add the fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Thai sweet soy sauce. Stir just until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in the basil or mint, and cook for a few seconds, just until the basil begins to wilt.

Transfer to a serving plate and serve with plenty of steamed jasmine rice.

From True Thai by Victor Sodsook, an excellent Thai cookbook if you don't already have one.

Edited by Flash

Does anyone have a really good recipe for split pea soup? I have tried a number and just can't seem to find the magical one. 

Okra Supreme (Bhindi Sabji)

1 pound fresh okra (455g)
3-4 tbsp ghee or peanut oil (45-60 ml)
1-1/2 Tbsp ground coriander (22 ml)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (2 ml)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika (1 ml)
1/2 tsp garam masala (2 ml)
1/2 tsp turmeric (2 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)

Wash the okra and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Trim off the tip and stem, and slice into rounds 1/3" thick (1 cm). 

In a large, heavy frying pan, preferably nonstick, heat the ghee or oil over moderately high heat. When it is hot, but not smoking, add the okra in. Single layer, and reduce the heat to moderate. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to,brown the okra evenly. Toward the end, add the ground spices, raise the heat to moderately high and, stirring steadily, fry until golden brown and fully cooked. Remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle with salt, toss to coat the okra evenly, and let it sit, covered, for 1 minute before serving.

From Lord Krishna's Cuisine by Yamuna Devi

This is a very good coconut chutney.

Coconut chutney 2

2 tsp oil

3 Tbsp Chana dal (Bengal gram dal, or yellow split peas), picked over and rinsed

4-5 red chili peppers

1/2 tsp asafoetida powder

6 tbsp grated fresh coconut or 8 tbsp flaked coconut

salt to taste (1/4 tsp, plus maybe just a sprinkle more)

a little water

cilantro, finely chopped

For tempering:

2 tsp oil

1 tsp brown mustard seed

1 tsp cumin seed

1 tsp black gram dal (washed urad dal), picked over and rinsed

1 red chili pepper, halved

a few curry leaves

Heat 2 tsp oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the Chana dal, red chillies, and asafoetida powder. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the dal turns golden.

Place the mixture in an electric blender. Add the grated coconut and salt to taste. Blend ingredients to a fine paste, adding very little water, just enough to make the paste smooth. Set aside.

Heat 2 tsp oil in a heavy frying pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, halved red chili and a few curry leaves. When the mustard seeds splutter, add this mixture to the chutney paste. Mix thoroughly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with dosas, idli, or vadais.

From Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India by Chandra Padmanabhan

These go really well with the chutney:

Mysore Bonda

1 cup black gram dal (washed urad dal), picked over and rinsed

2 cups water 

salt to taste

1 tsp whole black peppercorns

1/4 cup chopped coconut pieces or 5-1/2 tbsp flaked coconut

1/2 tsp asafoetida powder

a few curry leaves

oil, for frying

soak the black gram dal in 2 cups water for 2 hours. Drain off excess water completely. Place dal in an electric blender or food processor. Blend into a smooth batter. Add salt to taste, black peppercorns, asafoetida powder, and a few curry leaves. Mix throroughly. 

Heat oil. Shape the batter into little balls. The recipe says lemon-sized, but that's way too big IMO. I make them smaller than a golf ball. Drop gently into the oil. Fry until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve with coconut chutney.

From Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India by Chandra Padmanabhan

Edited by Flash