CrazyBoards.org

Does anybody take teenagers with depression seriously?

I'm only 14, but I've had such terrible depression for the past several years. Most days it is a struggle just to get out of bed, I just want to lay there and die, and when I go somewhere I isolate myself from everyone else. I'm always miserable, and I go through episodes where I get flashbacks, I worry,and I feel suicidal.  I also self harm and late at night I will sit in the dark and cry and cut. I have severe lack of motivation.  I can't force myself to get up and do anything, and my grades at school suck.  I am gifted with a highly above average IQ, but I lack the motivation to make good grades. I'm worried for my future. Adults call me lazy, and also disrespectful because I hate talking to people, so I give them one or two word responses. They also say what I'm going through is normal for teenagers, but no, it's not. It is not normal to feel like shit everyday, self harm, and want to die. Plus, I've felt depressed since I was only about 9 years old. 5 years. I know my rant is pointless, but I was wondering if there were any adults out there who would actually take me seriously?

Hi. I am just 18, so technically an adult.

I do believe you. Some people don't understand teens can be as depressed as adults, but others do and they could help you.

Have you ever tried to call a hotline or join a specific site that helps children and teens?  

I've been suicidal off and on since I was 11 so I sure as hell take you seriously.

With any mental health problem, the earlier you get it treated, the better the outcome.  This could be something you grow out of or it could be the start of something that will stick with you if you don't get it treated.   A school councilor, if you have a decent one, would be a good place to start.  

As far as the whole gifted but not making good grades thing goes, have you ever been screened for ADD?  That's what turned out to be the problem in my case.  All through elementary school my bad grades were written off as "oh, he's just gifted and bored" when really I was trying my ass off and getting nowhere. 

This site is really geared towards adults who have been diagnosed and are in treatment.  You're not in our target demographic.  The best we can do is give you some pointers towards getting help for yourself.

If you can't convince your parents that you need help, the best thing to do is find an adult who can advocate for you in talking to them.  A school guidance counselor is one possibility.  If you have a teacher you get along well with and can talk to, that might be another option.  If one of your friends has a parent that you can talk to who gets along well with your parents, you could try talking to them.  

Our normal minimum age limit for members is 16.  You're not going to be banned or anything but the most we can really do for you is encourage you to talk to an adult who can help you get help. 

Thank you all for answering. In response to one person, no, I don't think my parents take me seriously, although I have'nt told them much anyway. And no, I have never been checked for ADD. Also, sorry about the whole age thing. I wasn't aware of that, and I saw a couple other people who said they were teenagers post on here before.

as a teenager with depression i can say that it really depends on the people around you and how they react to the idea of depression. some people just don't get it. but i will say this. no one takes you seriously if you're a teenager with mood problems like hypomania/depression. because after all it's just "hormones"......... 

I take you seriously. 

I'm well into adulthood, but my depression started in childhood.  I started to self-harm when I was about 8 or 9, and I attemted suicide many times when I was 13.  I wish someone would have taken me serioulsy and gotten me the help I needed at the time.  It wouldn't have prevented me from having depression now, but would have saved me a lot of difficulty dealing with life in general.

If your parents won't take you seriously, is there another school counselor you can talk to?  or do you still have the resources that were given to you by the counselor who left your school?

I know it's terrifying to call a hotline.  I recently reached out to a chat-based hotline, after years of avoiding it, and it was helpful. 

Please, talk to someone.

Thank you again for taking the time to read my post.  I don't think I have the resources anymore, but I could try to find some more. I have spoken to two different counselors at school, but they both left, but a new one is supposed to be coming soon. Both of my parents will not take me to see anyone outside of school, and they act like there's nothing wrong with me.

Edited by TorturedWithin

It's sad that your parents aren't taking you more seriously. I agree with Rosie. If you can get your parents to take you to the doctor (for anything at all), you can bring it up with the doctor then. This is serious and you deserve to be taken seriously. 

Edited by jt07

I like that idea about going to a doc, maybe hearing it from them will make your parents take you seriously. 

And I believe you. Ugh. No one makes this up. Well I'm sure some do. Now I'm paranoid. Oy. 

Go to a doc. Or find a new counselor. 

Also, in my city we have a line were people can chat with MI peers. Maybe when you're feeling down you can see if there's a line in your city like that. I'm sure if you look up crisis centers in your city they'll have that number there too. Mine does. Just in case you can't find a counselor, someone you can talk to. 

Edited by iaawal

I do have a doctor, but I hate going to see them. It gives me severe anxiety for two main reasons. One is that they'll see my cuts/scars from self harm and tell somebody. Both of my parents already know about it, but they think I stopped, but I didn't. My mom thinks it was just a 'phase' and my dad thinks I did it because I thought it was cool or something. And the other reason I don't like going is because they weigh me everytime, no matter what. I have been overweight my entire life, and seeing the number on the scale triggers my urges to cut. Over the past year and a half or so I've been starving myself, and I've lost about 60-65 pounds so far.I'm still about 10 pounds overweight (I'm about 5'7" and I weigh about 165, but when I started I was like 5'4" or 5" and 227 pounds). I am also afraid that the doctor will somehow know I haven't been eating. I am afraid that if people found out about the cutting and the starving that they would send me off somewhere.

I take you seriously. I first became suicidal when I was nine. Just because you're young doesn't mean you're going through a phase or you don't have deep and genuine feelings, which is what a lot of adults seem to think.

You need to find an adult who can get through to your parents for you. I'm sorry that the school counselors left-ours was a great resource to me when I was in high school. Somehow hearing from another adult made my parents take me more seriously. Can you tell your parents that you don't like your doctor and would like to find a new one? Do you have grandparents. godparents, aunts, uncles, even older cousins?

If you find yourself in immediate danger, you have the right to call 911 for yourself-you don't need your parents' ok.

Maybe it is a good idea that your DR does see the cutting ... your DR will most likely take you seriously and then talk to your parents.  I would be completely honest with your DR.  The cutting could be a way to bring up how you are feeling, and why you are doing it.  I would give your DR a chance.  I can relate to the weighing though ... it can be a trigger. 

But I would still go see your DR.  If they do put you in the hospital, then that will be the road to getting better for you.  They will give you resources, and will be able to talk to your family too.  You never know, it might really be helpful.

I'm only 14, but I've had such terrible depression for the past several years. Most days it is a struggle just to get out of bed, I just want to lay there and die, and when I go somewhere I isolate myself from everyone else. I'm always miserable, and I go through episodes where I get flashbacks, I worry,and I feel suicidal.  I also self harm and late at night I will sit in the dark and cry and cut. I have severe lack of motivation.  I can't force myself to get up and do anything, and my grades at school suck.  I am gifted with a highly above average IQ, but I lack the motivation to make good grades. I'm worried for my future. Adults call me lazy, and also disrespectful because I hate talking to people, so I give them one or two word responses. They also say what I'm going through is normal for teenagers, but no, it's not. It is not normal to feel like shit everyday, self harm, and want to die. Plus, I've felt depressed since I was only about 9 years old. 5 years. I know my rant is pointless, but I was wondering if there were any adults out there who would actually take me seriously?

Oh I am so sorry. I am sure everyone here on this site would take you seriously. Most of us have been suffering from depression since we were very young. And many of us also had parents who not only did not help, but made us worse.

My girl just opened up to me about cutting. It was very hard to hear as a parent but I was SO relieved she told me. I knew she was depressed but really had no idea how much.

Ranting is never pointless. And what you are going thru of course is not normal but is VERY common. When I started telling my close friends about my girl, ALL of them had similar stories. Either they cut or their kids.

I urge you to talk to your parents. Print out this thread and give it to them. BRing a friend with you or a friendly adult. Maybe send them a long email.

It is SO important you give your parents the truth. They may be in denial but they love you and only want the best for you.

No one will send you anywhere. What you are going thru happened to so many of us on this site. 

It might be easier to write to them. It depends on how well you can express yourself in words. YOu do very well in writing.

You will get through this. It will be ok. One day at a time.

And by the way, I also get triggered by scales so when I go to the doctor and they want to weigh me I say no. No scale. Tell them no.  You do not want to be weighed. It upsets you.  You would be surprised about how many nurses understand.

My girl took three years before she could tell me about her cutting and it broke my heart that I was not able to be there for her. She was scared to tell me for the same reasons you are afraid to tell your parents.  You are not alone.