CrazyBoards.org

Does the new year bring you hope or hopelessness?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Does the new year bring you hope or hopelessness?

• Hopelessness
    • Hope
    • Other

For me, right now, I am feeling useless and hopeless about the new year. I can try to set goals, but for example, like getting a job, that is beyond my control. Like getting back the respect of people who have no more respect for me, I have no control over that. Just another year again of pain to endure. Very little progress from last year. By contrast my former high school classmates (now in their mid-twenties) have progressed very far now (they're traveling, employed, partying, socializing, drinking, clubbing, etc.)

Does the new year bring you hope or hopelessness?

Generally I'm pretty pessimistic but for some reason this year, I'm actually hopeful.

Dr. Katz, I totally hear you on the stark contrast with old school friends. I'm over a decade out of school now, and in a lot of ways, seeing how everyone's doing on fb can suck. Mental illness somehow seems capable of eating my time faster than theirs- I blink and another year's gone. But I guess, everyone always makes the best of things for fb?

Good luck with 2015, either way. :)

Generally I'm pretty pessimistic but for some reason this year, I'm actually hopeful.

Dr. Katz, I totally hear you on the stark contrast with old school friends. I'm over a decade out of school now, and in a lot of ways, seeing how everyone's doing on fb can suck. Mental illness somehow seems capable of eating my time faster than theirs- I blink and another year's gone. But I guess, everyone always makes the best of things for fb?

Good luck with 2015, either way. :)

So true!

It brings me gratitude that I have survived anouther year. 

I like to remember that people mostly only post the good times on FB.  We rarely share the nitty gritty struggles of life there.  They may post a pic of themselves at a club or party, but never post the pic of them puking their guts out in the toilet afterwards!

I also know tons of twenty-somethings who are struggling and still living at home because they haven't been able to find jobs to support themselves in this economy. 

Well since I went to bed new years eve at 8:00, I just don't know.  You see, my wife and I had planned a small party, just the two of us.  However for the last year or so I have been competing with an Iphone and tablet for my marriage.  So it looks like its going to be another year of the same. This tech thing with her has become more like an addiction than anything.   We have had numerous arguments about this and it is so similar to the same types of arguments when I was drinking 16 years ago.  Maybe its just karma waiting a long time to get me back, but I can't help but wonder how much longer I can compete with Steve Jobs.  Reminds me of a line from a Leonard Cohen song: "Is this what you wanted to live in a house that is haunted by the ghosts of you and me".  Anyway, the new year brings me thoughts of whether this year will be like the last.

Hopelessness for me this year. Just two months ago I had a good life, now everything I loved has gone. I'll never get it back again, or be capable of loving anything new. If it wasn't for the fact that some family members and friends would feel guilty afterwards, I would absolutely kill myself as soon as possible.

For me I try to be an eternal optimist. Shit happens that I can't control but some things are in my control at this point. My goals for this year are really family related and also staying compliant on Meds and to continue exercising

But with all of that being said I hope for the universe to prepare me for whatever is coming my way and the power to carry whatever out

Both. I actually had to do a hopelessness scale for therapy and - even though my depression is better, I'm still very hopeless according to it. I think it's just reality - the future is not going to be pretty for me, and this is basically as good as it gets.

But on New Year's Eve my boss gave me good news about a project I'm going to be working on this year which I really had wanted to be put on. So that lifted me that the New Year wouldn't be as bad as I thought. It's something to keep me going.

I definitely don't look at facebook when I'm feeling vulnerable. I'll go months without opening it for that reason. And it's really the truth - people don't put their failures and humiliations on fb. Just what makes their life look great. Just don't look at it.