CrazyBoards.org

Is it common to sleep a lot while manic?

So I'm manic as of now according to my pdoc, and will go to the hospital today (the pdoc decided that it would be better this way - he already called the hospital and arranged everything). However, I sleep around 12-13 hours a day. The symptoms I seem to be showing is exhibitionism (getting naked in front of others), disinhibition, racing thoughts, rapid, pressured and loud speech, extreme irritability and anger and some grandiosity, as well as making stupid puns, screaming loudly, singing revolutionary songs out loud etc. My symptoms are so severe that a group around ~8 neighbors knocked at my door at around 8 AM and I heared them talking saying "some psychopath is here" (which my parents heard as well). One of them (a woman) was crying for some reason. They stayed in front of my door and kept knocking for around 45 minutes. I'm glad they didn't call the cops, as happened during my previous manic episodes (or they probably did, but I didn't open anyway).

It's really hard to stay on topic right now, so instead of going on rambling, I want to ask you all this question: Is it common to sleep for about 12-13 hours a day while manic? I take an atypical anti-psychotic for my mania called "Amisulpride" (Solian). Could this be the cause? Do you think I would sleep very little/not sleep at all if I discontinued my anti-psychotic?

Also, why did my pdoc prescribe me an anti-depressant, if he knew (as he said) that it seems to cause mania in people with bipolar disorder, and he suspected bipolar disorder? He admitted that my present mania seems to be anti-depressant induced. Why would he be so reckless? I suffered from a depressive/mixed episode at the time the anti-depressant was prescribed, and it was prescribed in conjunction with an atypical anti-psychotic.

Sometimes doctors will prescribe antidepressants to people with a bipolar diagnosis because, if they are on a mood stabilizer (or antipsychotic or other drug acting as a mood stabilizer) it can negate the mania-inducing effects antidepressants can have for some people.  

No, it is not very common to sleep 12-13 hours while manic.  

Yes, atypical antipsychotic can be extremely sedating.  When I took olanzapine I slept around 12-14 hours a day.  So it is possible that's what's causing it.

Edited by koa

From netdoctor.co.uk

There may be an increased risk of drowsiness and sedation if amisulpride is taken with any of the following (which can also cause drowsiness):

• alcohol
  • barbiturates, eg amobarbital, phenobarbital
  • benzodiazepines, eg diazepam, temazepam

The red highlight is mine. Since you're taking Bromazepam, you may be getting extra sedation.

Considering how you're acting when you're awake, it might be just as well if you sleep 13 hours a day! I hope the hospital helps you. Good luck!

I was on Solian briefly some years ago and don't recall it being sedating.  It isn't common to sleep so much whilst manic - during my worst manias I stop sleeping completely.  Hopefully they'll sort out your meds properly while you're in the hospital. Good luck!

I( have a really good pdoc, older very wise man. He understands all too well that psychiatry is not a science and there are no neat boxes people fit in regarding mental illness. It's better to just treat the symptoms then worry about the diagnosis because often the diagnosis changes. It's all about the symptoms and a person can have symptoms from several "illnesses". I'm not so easy to diagnose. My depression is atypical, I have good mania and bad mania. I experience symptoms from various illnesses, even at baseline. My pdco tells me don't worry about what you are, lets take care of the symptoms.

It could be the antidepressant, it could be a million other things. I'm not familiar with the AAP, but it sounds like you're sedated from it. Most of the time, manic episodes have less sleep, if any.