CrazyBoards.org

Hello and welcome

...the main challenge i face is acceptance amongst peers who do not believe BPD is an illness,

Shared with those of us on the autistic spectrum and with chronic fatigue syndrome and a few other conditions

the label of angry and lacking empathy in a medical profession probably isn't the best).

Unless you are Dr House or well up the consultant's ladder of seniority.

(Then you are merely frustrated at the inadequacy and lack of perception in those around you?)

Cheers,

Chris

Hi, welcome!

I am a student in the UK aiming towards a medical path.

(I don't mean to sound snobby or to be exclusive but the main challenge i face is acceptance amongst peers who do not believe BPD is an illness, dealing with occupational health and the label of angry and lacking empathy in a medical profession probably isn't the best).

Are you studying something related to medicine?  :huh:

Aaaaaaaaah! Ok!

(Ohm, probably you were clear. English is not my first language!)

Thank you for your responses and sorry for the lack of clarity. I am over half way through medical school. I don't know how much this would affect being a doctor (that is being optimistic, assuming I get that far).

Would anyone want their doctor to have borderline?

I doubt you have a note pinned to your forehead that says "Eys, I am a borderline doctor!". If you behave as doctors normally do, your patient won't notice it. You can learn to do it, there are many health professionals with mental illness. Specially in the mental health field. (Check psychotherapist... check psychotherapist... these always are heavily crazy!). Depends on which "type" of doctor you want to be, you may have it easier or harder to "lock borderliness up" during work (It is not the same a physician, than a therapist or psychiatrist...) 

I mean... I have been worried about being a health professional with MI, since I am studying pharamcy, and I would like to specialize in pharmacogenetics or immunology. I am not borderline, I am a psychotic dissociative nuts.

Do you have a therapist, or psychiatrist with whom you can talk about this?

Would anyone want their doctor to have borderline?

I can think of worse possibilities.

At one remove from personal experience a friend once had a dentist whom was so empathic and unwilling to hurt people that he ended up doing quite a lot of harm to a number of folk by leaving necessary work either undone or insufficiently thoroughly treated.

Great bedside manner is nice, but professional competence including proper detachment when required, that I'll take as priority., for preference, in any doctor looking after me.

Chris