CrazyBoards.org

How Has Your Depression Affected Your Family?

My 12 year old daughter basically told me outright. She said my constant moving, dating an alcoholic/pothead (we no longer live together), not having a job or any money, and laying around watching tv all the time has had a negative affect on all my kids.

She said, in a very nasty tone, Why cant you just get a job and get some money to take care of me? Where does my child support money go? I'm embarrassed to have friends over to our "dorm room". (we have a very small apartment)

Shed rather live with her father in his nice big house and have friends there.

Later in the day I said I'm ready to listen to your apology. She said your going to be waiting a long time because everything I said was true.

I know part of this is hormones but a big part is my inability to act accordingly when issues arise. My depression saps me of energy or even the knowledge of what to do when these issues come up. Most of 2013-2014 I did spend in bed. Literally. I was bedridden with depression. I certainly don't know how to cope with this right now.

Both of my older sons suffer from depression also.

My mental illness has caused nothing but hell for my me and my family. My family does not understand mental illness even the slightest bit. They treat me like I need to just "get over it" and don't take me seriously. They get mad at me when I am hospitalized and when the hospital requests a family session only my mom comes and lies her way through the session to sound like some saint. I have zero support. My grandma is the only person that supports me. Everyone else could care less. They wouldn't notice the pain of Bipolar Depression until they buried me.

I suffered from depression since I was 12 years old. I know it made my parent's life, particularly my mother's life, a living hell, and I am very sorry for that and I feel very guilty about that. I don't have any children (thank God) so I have not really inflicted my depression on anyone else except possibly my ex but I kept it at a minimum there. I'm just sorry that I am suffering and that I have cause suffering to others.

It's easy... my parents don't know. One of my brothers does, and he and his fiance keep an eye on me, but in a friendly "we have MI too" sort of way, and the supportive "we don't tell your parents either". We don't live close to each other though.

So, I guess MI has impacted my family in that it's one more thing that splits us, one more thing we keep secret from my parents.

I have no spouse type person. Probably because I can't talk to people and tend to isolate anyway. I suppose that's the impact on my potential family: I have none.

I know it made my parent's life, particularly my mother's life, a living hell, and I am very sorry for that and I feel very guilty about that. I don't have any children (thank God) so I have not really inflicted my depression on anyone else ...

^This is exactly what I was trying to word.  Thanks jt.

The post below mentions physical abuse. Please do not read if you are triggered or may possibly become triggered.

My father has completely changed because of depression. He was never diagnosed with it as my parents do not believe in mental illness or mental conditions, but I know that it is depression. My father used to abuse me but after his own father dies, he stopped completely. He completely changed. Used to he had a whole range of emotions and now it is very rare to ever see him smile. My sister agrees with me when I say that he looks as though he has aged quite a lot after his father died. I do love my father, and I miss the days he would have possitive emotions.

TL;DR My father became seemingly depressed after his own father died and has shown very little emotion since and appears to have aged significantly.