CrazyBoards.org

Abilify insomnia - does it ever end?

I've been on Abilify 5 mg as an augmentation to the rest of my cocktail for BP II depression for about 5 weeks. It's definitely started lifting my mood, which is great, but am I ever going to get over 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night? I feel physically like I could use some more rest, and since I just got over a bad cold, apparently my body feels it, too.

I'm already taking 10 mg of Ambien for sleep, and have been for the past few years, and up until I started the Abilify, the Ambien was working great. The other night I only got 2 hours of sleep, and then nearly fell asleep at the wheel the following afternoon. Abilify seems like a great drug for me, other than this sleep issue. 

My depression is such that I tend to sleep too much so I welcome to a certain extent the lesser sleep on Abilify. However, I take Remeron, a very sedating antidepressant, and that helps me to get a full night's sleep. I have noticed that I sleep more now than when I first began to take Abilify so I guess the insomnia effect lessens with time or else my body just got used to it.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm scheduled to go to the pdoc in about 4 weeks, but I may bump it up to see if he's got any more tricks up his sleeve. My mood is improved so much, maybe it's a worthwhile trade-off, and maybe the insomnia will go away with a little more time.

There's also an extended release Ambien, so that may be the solution. I'm on generic Ambien right now, and I don't have any trouble falling asleep, but then I wake up way too early, and can't get back to sleep. But I am getting a lot done around the house! 

• 3 weeks later...

I could not take Abilify for more than a few weeks... Absolute torture... I think it's called "Akatheisia" or something like that... My anxiety about taking it was through the roof... Made feel simultaneous active and sedated. I would lay in bed twitching my hands and feet... Very bizarre, very uncomfortable... I usually don;t have thoughts of suicide, but on abilify It was out of control.. I just wanted that terrible feeling to stop. 

• 2 weeks later...

I take abilify 20 for sza and it is a strange one. I have heard that lower doses have a little bit of a different effect than higher ones. I really like abilify myself and can sleep as much as i need to but then can be awake all day. There is that whole that abilify tends to react differently in every body. On average one in eleven people can't take it because they get seretonin syndrome which can be fatal. If you develop chest congestion for seemingly no reason you should talk to your doctor quickly. That is what that whole abilify kills campaign was about. Hope i didn't freak you out. I kinda feel like people do better when they have access to this kind of info.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm scheduled to go to the pdoc in about 4 weeks, but I may bump it up to see if he's got any more tricks up his sleeve. My mood is improved so much, maybe it's a worthwhile trade-off, and maybe the insomnia will go away with a little more time.

There's also an extended release Ambien, so that may be the solution. I'm on generic Ambien right now, and I don't have any trouble falling asleep, but then I wake up way too early, and can't get back to sleep. But I am getting a lot done around the house!

The Ambien CR might solve your problems. Ask for the 12.5mg dose. If that doesn't work by itself, a low dose of Remeron or Seroquel in addition to the Ambien cr should hopefully do the trick. That's the only thing that worked for me when my insomnia was really bad.