CrazyBoards.org

Some things you just can't explain

Drunk drivers idea is good. There should also be impound of ANY car they were driving even if borrowed. Mandatory loss of license for 6 months for first offense. Mandatory 1 year suspension and 6 month jail time and 3rd offense should be considered felony. Permanent revocation of license and at least 1 year in jail. Unless someone was injured in which case that should be tacked on. Also note that there should be a difference between DUI and DWI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So. How are you being hurt by this behavior that you need this much revenge?

Starting edit.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A drunk driver broke my back in five places on march 18th, 1993. His BAC was .19, it was 4:30 in the afternoon. No driver's lisence, no insurance.  No job. Bailed on fifty bucks. He skipped bail. Came to trial after a new prosecutor heeded my 30 pleading letters asking for justice and tracked the guy down himself. I got no apologies, and the family was pissed at ME for "ruining his life". The other driver got 180 days in jail. As a kind of joke from the Gods, while on Work Release his last 30 days, he drove back to the jail shitfaced drunk and got another 90 days added to his sentence.

I got nothing except a body full of pain. I broke lumbar 4-5 and thoracic 8-9-10 and am awake at 4 am because of pain. I live in pain and breathe pain and swim in pain every day, every night, all my life, because of this useless piece of shit.

The worst part?

He has horses.

I don't.

All I ever wanted. A house. A horse.

And I can't ride anymore. Not like I used to. I shoved my ribbons back in the the back of the closet and don't think about the girl who used to show jump, the girl who died on the road back in 1993.

Personally, I was being gernerous with my first solution.

When the pain is on me like this I want to take every drunk driver and hammer on thier backs with  a ball peen hammer until something breaks. And then do it again. And again. And again. While they're forced to be sober and I drink myself stupid.

That's why.

Name of dickwad removed due to site policy.

Sorry, Null0, but if you can't see that one I can't explain it. Zon's post speaks for a LOT of people. The "drinking" isn't the issue. The fact is that drunk drivers hurt more people than almost any other category and they system really doesn't do much to keep them off the roads. (again keep in mind that I mean DRUNK, not DUI!) If the issue were DRUGS and driving I would feel the same way. We put way too many people in jail for way to much time for drugs. I won't go into THAT rant! ;) But people should, in my opinion, get substantial punishment when they do things that endanger OTHERS. And if they continue that behavior the sanctions should increase to the point where they CAN'T!

I don't care what they do to themselves. We shoud stop making drug use etc illegal. It's only when they go out on the road and endanger others that it shouls be an issue. I worked in social services (of a sort!) and was very aware of the lack of any serious consequences for drunk driving and also the serious consequences to others of their behavior.

Bottom line Null0 - and honestly without meaning any personal offense - I think your question was naive.

Steve

How does jail ever help anyone get sober? It cripples people. It contributes to their drug and alcohol problems. And it doesn't permanently remove them, just removes them long enough to seriously screw up their opportunities for employment when they're released. Released convicts commit more crimes, have more problems with druigs and alcohol, and are often more violent than before they went to prison.

I'm for corporal punishment. It works, is inexpensive, and does no permanent damage. It's even a far better deterrent than prison. Most practically speaking, it reduces crime whereas prison increases it.

Could someone lighten up the thread? Anyone lost their keys today?

Bottom line Null0 - and honestly without meaning any personal offense - I think your question was naive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

edit: There. Lighter, less "let's talk about my issues" but you don't get 'happier'

after calling me "naive". 

Personal ACOA issues aside - alcohol is every bit as much of a drug as GHB

or other scheduled, prescribed, or OTC substances. THAT position I'm not open

for discussion on.

Null0

Excuse me?

Did you read my post?

What you're indicating was your areas response to a first offense was in excess of what I proposed.

I have NO desire to "wreak vengeance". Just some way to keep "repeat" offenders OF THE ROAD. Jemini pointed out the negative issues of incarceration - and I agree with him. If there is a better and more effective way of meeting this goal then I'm all for it. But I will grant that I was somewhat excessive in the specifics.

Your apparent contention that I was not speaking from a position of personally being affected and therefore my observations were invalid does not make sense to me.

You are also bringing in a lot of personal issues with your cops that has nothing to do with the issue being discussed. Further you are lumping me with a group of people I DO NOT support and which I tried to make clear in my post. There IS a difference between DWI and DUI. The move to lump them together is wrong. "Drunk" should mean "Drunk"! If anything I think the BAC limit (which does NOT measure ketones!) should be slightly higher so there is a clearer issue.

I don't understand what you were trying to say in your next to last paragraph and I did not say you were naive because you did not agree with me.

I think any further posts on this should be on a separate thread.

As Jemini said I think it's time to get back to the light side of this thread.

I didn't intend to stir up this much anger.

Steve

If anything I think the BAC limit (which does NOT measure ketones!) should be slightly higher so there is a clearer issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The standard breathalyzer that used a copper-based compound uses a colorimetric process that will in fact pick up ketones as

surely as it will acetaldehyde. The silver nitrate/potassium dichromate-based

breathalyzer will not distinguish among primary alcohols, aldehydes, or ketones.

Null0troper and Steve...

Knock it off or I'm taking away BOTH your nipple clamps and making you put clothes on and no more internet for the rest of the day. AND you have to watch Dr. Phil until you whimper to come back and drink yourselves silly and mostly naked again.

Tell you what. I'll put you both in charge of figuring out a way to explain this all to our legions of fine Patrol Occifers. Most of which, as I'm sure you've noticed (and I did say MOST) while well meaning and hard working, have the IQ of a bowling pin. Therin lies the problem. And just because I'm dictator doesn't mean I'm going to fire the state highway patrol, replacement would be problematic and take time away from my lush orgies.

I am, however, going to have a good hard look at the LAPD.

As for People Who Actually Drive Drunk: I now, according to Tueday's Xrays, have BONE SPURS on my SPINE, thanks to Edit: a certain *bubbles the chimp*. So, no sympathy from Ditatoress Zon. ZILCH. I am, however, perfectly willing to entertain new and more effective punishments. And that is PUNISHMENTS, not namby-pamby group therapy and rehab shit. Maybe for first time offenders who don't hit anybody. But Edit: Mr Dead Guy Walking if Zon has her say was a seven time loser with no driver's lisence, no insurance, and a BAC of .19. And I'm the one with BONE SPURS ON MY FUCKIN' SPINE. Personally, I'm not adverse to seeing him rot in prison, but that's not very creative of me, is it?

Even though it's public record - names, hon. -- 00T

00T---it's not only pulic record, he was TRIED AND CONVICTED IN A COURT OF LAW (Greene County Municipal Court, Xenia, Ohio, October 2000 to be exact). Dude, 60 MINUTES wouldn't hesitate to use his name, what's the problem??? Just for an extra present to me? Dude was on work release his last 60 days and DROVE BACK TO THE JAIL DRUNK, for which he was ALSO TRIED AND CONVICTED IN THE SAME COURT, and had another 90 days added to his 180 day sentence, for a total of

Also, I am asking this question from the perspective of someone who was thrown through a windshield, broke every bone in my face (including my nose, cheekbones, jaw and eye sockets), fractured c3 and c4 vertebre, suffered major closed head trauma, bit my tongue in half, lost 8 teeth, broke both hands and have permanent scars covering my face - courtesy of a drunk driver (.25 blood alcohol level) who had no insurance and no driver's licencse...

I just simply want to know... because the punishment for driving under the influence HAS increased so much over the years since my accident (1980)...

Did the above punishment deter you from drinking and driving after the incident you refer to above?

Okay..I didn't get any nipple clamps yet so I hope this doesn't mess up my chances..Here in Norway if you drink and drive you get you licence taken away for  2 years.+ about a 5000 dollar fine.second offence you lose your licence forever + 30 days jail time. So people RARELY chance it..even the next day! So..In my experience really tough laws DO work. I wouldn't even consider drinking after even a glass of wine. Just my 2 cents..

Okay..I didn't get any nipple clamps yet so I hope this doesn't mess up my chances..Here in Norway if you drink and drive you get you licence taken away for  2 years.+ about a 5000 dollar fine.second offence you lose your licence forever + 30 days jail time. So people RARELY chance it..even the next day! So..In my experience really tough laws DO work. I wouldn't even consider drinking after even a glass of wine. Just my 2 cents..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how do Norwegians without a driver's license to allow them to drive get to school/work? Or do you just

put them on the dole and forget about it?

(This IS a loaded question and it's not pointed quite where some of you think - pay attention to the

assumptions.)

So how do Norwegians without a driver's license to allow them to drive get to school/work?

They should have thought of that before they chose to get drunk and get behind the wheel of a car.  It's not a tough law to follow.  Just don't drive when you're intoxicated.

I'm trying to figure out when to schedule my voice lesson for next semester, but I can't find my class schedule.  It would probably help if I cleaned up the piles and piles of papers on my desk...

~CS

Typical neurotypical - ask a question about Norway get a complaint about American desks

I hope Grandma runs them over with reindeer.

Oh yeah. Aside from Empress Zon's plans to take over the world, I have FAR more important news.

Polyurethane foam is sticky.

And Not Easy to Remove From Fingers

And it expands more aggressively than it looks like it will.

I haven't lost enything in the last couple of days except my desire to drink....let aalone drink and drive. REALLY. And I don't feel so yakky, either. Maybe this Addeall stuff really works.... now that I've got the schedule down I feel so slow and mellow...kind of unnerving. Speed? What speed?

Pardon my sudden, introspective silence. I feel like I might be losing my wacky humour, too. That would be a shame.

pigs

Hey NullOtrooper..Norway has probably one of the best bus systems in the world..So no problem getting to work or school! Sorry, seems I stirred up the shit...I'll go quietly................

Hey NullOtrooper..Norway has probably one of the best bus systems in the world..So no problem getting to work or school! Sorry, seems I stirred up the shit...I'll go quietly................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No - that was precisely the point I was getting at. 

Where you live, it is not critical to daily living to get into your own personal car and go places.

The insane amounts of suburban sprawl and traffic congestion that we have - especially where

I live now - are not combined with a near-total lack of concern for a safe and sane

infrastructure.

Remember - a lot of us Americans have trouble remembering that WE are NOT the world.  <_<

But this morning I realized, based on something Pigs said and a few things I was going to say to

CS in response to her comment, that this thread needs to be split. I'll intro with something that

some of the vicarious victims aren't going to cope with at all and go from there (even though the

older posts will show up first)

Okay - help a girl out...what the hell did

Archived