CrazyBoards.org

How many times does one see their pdoc yearly?

Just wondering if I'm being too needy with my pdoc?  Last year I seen him in January and July, only twice and furthermore he canceled my appointments three times at the last minute.  His priority seems to be opening new mental hospitals or substance abuse centers a state away.  Now don't get me wrong his Nurse practitioner isn't a bad guy and he's quite competent, however he is a bit at a stand still and perplexed because I've been hearing voices and hallucinating again as well as self-harming, and even he can't seem to see my Pdoc too often.  Anyway, after they called yesterday once again to cancel with my Pdoc, when I got off the phone I called to make an appt. with a new Pdoc.  I was just wondering what others thought as I'm kind of second guessing myself as usual?

You need to see your pdoc however many times it takes to get you one meds that work for you. That's the standard of measure. At this point in my life it's usually every three months, but there have been times when I was going every other week.

You are not being needy, and your old doc sounds like an asshole. Good for you for getting a new one.

When I was stable, I saw my pdoc every 3 months. Right now we are playing with my meds, and I have a nurse practitioner as my pdoc. I see her once a month. The one time I was really suicidal and homicidal, my pdoc saw me twice a week.

I see mine monthly, but have seen him as often as every week. At one point he said when I am stable I can come every 3-4 months, but havent hit that yet. I think right now he has  me come  monthly because I had filed for SSDI and also have a  long term disability policy (it only pays 24 months for mental).

I would not see a pdoc who cancelled so often., He does not have your best interest at heart. Hope the new guy is good.

MY previous pdoc would only stretch it out 3 months, which was ok.

Edited by Savannah

The longest I have gone between pdoc asspointments has been 3 months.  And that was when I was stable.  When I was IP, I saw a pdoc daily.  As an Outpatient Client, I have seen a pdoc weekly on occasion, but that has been pretty rare.  I have been in a Partial Hospitalization/Intensive Outpatient Program for the past two months which has inculded seeing a Psychiatriac Nurse Practitioner weekly.  As a General Outpatient client, I would expect to be able to see my PDoc/PNurse every two weeks-monthly if I was struggling. 

Some of the other clients in Partial Hospitalization saw an acutal PDoc, but I was assigned to the PNurse, and had a really good experience with her.  She actually listened to me more than any other provider has, and helped me to get to the bottom of a med issue I had for several years.  She was willing to wean me off a med that all the other PDocs I saw when I was IP and seeing my old Pdoc OP wanted to increase.  And I feel a whole lot better for it!

At this point, I have an appointment to see a new PDoc in 6 weeks, and have no follow up scheduled in the meantime, but I am relatively stable, and the PNurse from IOP has told me that she will schedule an appointment if necessary. 

I would find it unacceptable for a doc to continually cancel appointments without re-scheduling within a week-2 weeks of the originally scheduled appointment.  If you cannot get in to your provider every 2-4 weeks while you are this unstable, I would also find that unacceptable.  What I would find the most unacceptable though is your current PNurse's perplexity at handling your case.  I would totally look for a new provider if I were in your shoes.  Although I would be careful to not cut things off with your current providers until you are established with a new proactice. 

And no, I don't feel you are being needy at all!

I once had a doc who would tell me at the end of the appiontment when she wanted to re-schedule, but when I would go to see her receptionsint, no appointments were availiable in that time frame.  I would end up having to go twice as long between scheduled appointments than what the doc was recomending.  Then, I would have to call in for emergeny appointments in the mean time.  I found that unacceptable and was able to find a new doc.