CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mysticfox

Bipolar and marijuana?

Hey all. :)

So a few months back I made a post about how I can't find the right medication to help me control my really bad moods. I have really bad mood swings and a hard time controlling myself. Along with social anxiety/phobia and having a real hard time sitting still. I was diagnosed with bipolar around the time I was 16 and I'm now 20. I struggle with this everday and i never could find a medication to ease it.

I started smoking weed about a month ago and it has helped me with everything. I'm more calm, I can talk to people more now without getting that awkward tense feeling, I can concentrate on things and it just has helped me be happy and feel better for the most part.

But my question is, is smoking weed a bad idea while having bipolar? I've been having these weird panic attack like problems. it's happened about 3 times since I've been smoking weed. I start feeling nausea and dizzy and I get this faint feeing. My heart starts beating fast and I feel everything around me isn't real. I get this ringing in my ears and I feel like I'm passing out. It's really bad and I don't know if it's the weed or what. I would assume it is because it didn't start till I started smoking.

I would say just stop but I've become really reliant on it and without weed my condition is worse. I feel more depression and irritated on the days I can't get it. Anyone else deal with this or going through it and what did you do? Is smoking weed bad for someone like me? It has helped me with so much and also helped with the migraines I use to get really bad.

Thanks for any advice.

I am BP with anxiety NOS, and depression. Not to mention ADD. I would suggest you start monitoring how much you smoke. I noticed that I too get nauseated and dizzy with the ringing ears if I smoke too much. Now it doesn't happen all the time, but if I haven't eaten or my blood sugar is low, it's more likely to happen. The more depression and irritation comes from part of the 'need'. It is similar to a withdrawal symptom, especially if you do it daily. I do enjoy smoking, and I find that it helps more than any benzo I've tried. Everyone is different. I told my pdoc that I smoke and I would highly suggest you do the same and let them know what you experience. I got excessively bad ringing ears and nausea and lightheaded while I was on lithium. Smoke in moderation. Don't go overboard with it. You want to still function, not be uh.... oh... yah... 

Hope this helps.

Personally I would not take a chance smoking weed. You never know what side effects/reactions you might have to it ... immediate or in the future.

Does your DR know you are smoking weed?

The whole blood sugar things makes sense. A few times it has happened is when I just woke up and started to smoke. Also I'm currently not seeing anyone at the moment. My therapist moved away and I could never find a psychiatrist who would work with me long enough to find the right medication so I kinda got to that give up stage and got depressed and that's when I stared smoking. I've dealt with this whole anxiety thing since I was in elemetary school. I dropped out of highschool because of it and isolated myself for over 4 years. Weed finally gives me relief and those suicidal thoughts I always dealt with are gone. I feel good for once. Am I going at this the wrong way?

Am I going at this the wrong way?

I really think you should find a psychiatrist (pdoc) to work with you.  With weed it is really taking a chance of anything happening, and a pdoc might be able to prescribe something that helps more than the weed.  It might not happen right away (finding the right med/s), but in the long run I really think you'd benefit from seeing a pdoc.

I really think you should find a psychiatrist (pdoc) to work with you.  With weed it is really taking a chance of anything happening, and a pdoc might be able to prescribe something that helps more than the weed.  It might not happen right away (finding the right med/s), but in the long run I really think you'd benefit from seeing a pdoc.

I have tried. I've been trying for years. I can't find a medicine that works for me and a psychiatrist who will actually listens instead of insisting they know it all. I've been at this since I can remember. I've even spent time in a hospital before. I'm at a dead end. So many people say I just have't found the "right" one but I've seen so many. Weed has a less chance of causing someting bad to happen then if I do nothing and my anxiety ends me.

My pdoc doesn't officially approve of smoking mj, but he understands that it does help me.

It sounds like you are having panic attacks. That is a psychiatric problem, so it isn't as if you aren't having difficulties smoking. So the weed is harming you in that case. Also, if you have a history of psychosis, this is a really good way to kick of an episode.

Do you mind making a signature that lists all the meds you have tried? It is easier to put this all in context if we know what your medication history is. It's easy to say "I've tried everything," but that is very unlikely to be true. Listing the meds you have tried would be very helpful.

I should add that when I lived in a state where it was legal, I used MMJ for migraine. But my pdoc AND my neurologist knew that, and were okay with it. So they were watching me very closely. I personally think just winging it is dangerous.

You're right, I havent tried everything out there but it just feels like it. I feel like I've been drowning for years and all I wanted was to relate to someone. I wanna feel like it's gonna be okay because I don't think it will sometimes. I want someone out there to care enough to listen. I feel hopeless and even more hopeless without weed. I know it's not okay but I'm tired of feeling like any moment I'm gonna lose it all. I just want someone who went through this to tell me what they did. To tell me there actually really happy because I don't think I ever will be. You know they say you can't help someone until they want help. I don't want it anymore. I'm tired of crying for help and ending up somewhere like here because there isnt anywhere else to go. I feel like a danger to myself most of the time and I have no one to go to. Thanks for all the help.

Mysticfox, we're glad to be here for you. There are a lot of people here-I am one of them-who struggled for years, and sometimes decades, before they found the right combination of doctors and meds and managed to put their lives together in a way that made sense to them, a way that they enjoyed living.

It sounds to me like the mj you're smoking is a mixed blessing for you, at best. I do think you should talk to your pdoc about it, and it sounds overall like you could stand a med tweak. I am sorry you're feeling so bleak right now. We're here for you if you need us.

I used to smoke on a regular basis before I got a correct diagnosis. I quit cold turkey over three years ago. I briefly took it up again this year then thought I don't want this. Told my pdoc about it. He said it could be a mixed bag for my bipolar. I didn't want to spend the money or risk any further problems with my bipolar.

I found that some mj helped and some made me anxious and jittery. I'm not that educated about different strains but I think certain types are better to calm and some give energy/ or mania. This is a problem for bipolar of course, as I said, some made me anxious, jittery and very afraid of the dark. It's not legal here so you had to take what you could get, no shopping for different types.

I think you really need to find a pdoc and not give up that you won't find meds to help you. Lots of us had to play med roulette before finding the right mix.

Also you might be self medicating with the mj and it's making you reluctant to seek help and adding to depression. As my bipolar mentor said.."without help, a lot of us with MI spend our lives isolating in a haze of marijuana smoke."

Good luck. I hope you seek some professional help and don't give up.

I went through 10 years straight of bipolar mood swings.  On my third trip to the hospital, the doctor wanted to try Zyprexa.  Bang! It worked and I have been stable for over a year.

As goddessone alluded to, MJ comes in many different strains.  And unless you're buying from a licensed dispensary, there's really no way to know, or choose, which strain you get.  I think its time you tried a psychiatrist again.  I know its frustrating.  But to continue trying is the best choice you've got.

I hope you can get in with a psychiatrist soon. It's hard to go without hope. I can't smoke marijuana, the last time I did I was 24, and puked my guts out and passed out at a friends (he had smoked most of the joint, I only had a few drags, it wasn't spiked with something, he was fine) and I was so paranoid. Fortunately I managed to take my night meds, and my friend watched me all night to make sure I was okay. 

Marijuana (which I smoked a lot from 15-17) has never done me any good. It was self medication and not in a good way. I got caught by my mom and quit cold turkey and got in with a pdoc and was diagnosed officially and started on meds. I'm now 30 and have been stable for over a year (with 5 years of stability before that, I had to stop taking lithium suddenly due to kidney disease, and trying to find a new mood stabilizer was hard, I was working too much, got stressed and admitted myself to the hospital where I had my meds tweaked) with my med combo. 

Things aren't perfect, meds have side effects, but life is a lot easier now. I don't de-value that marijuana can help some with different conditions, but its best done with a doctor, not just smoking alone, constantly. Don't give up on the health care system. 

I get it from someone that has a cannabis card so I always know what it is. I just can't imagine my life without it right now. Without it I can't sleep. I wake up every little bit and sometimes I wake up nausea and really off edge. I get really jittery and I can't sit still. I can stay up for days and have as much as energy as someone with a full nights rest. It calms me down and stops my mind from racing. I'm either off the walls or I'm so depressed I can't get out of bed. Sometimes I feel like I'm 2 different people and I never know which one Ima wake up with. Sometimes I feel like I was misdiagnosed. I'm never just okay. I really wanna get my life together and I can't do it alone. I need to find a better way though. I appreciate all the help. I like to feel like I'm not alone in this so thanks.

If you use any type of marijuana product, I strongly suggest you get a prescription for Marinol if you can.  It will justify testing positive, which is important if you want to reduce your risk of prison or doctor problems.  Marijuana, like any other medication, has been shown in studies to help some and hurt others.  It could greatly help you, or greatly harm you.  Different strands may also have different effects. If you do try to use, you should contact someone educated first, you can find them online probably.

I have allergies and thus couldn't smoke it.  People with allergies could try eating it, vaporizing it, or other types of administration.  Frankly, even folks without allergies would be better not smoking it.  Smoke is less healthy than vaporized.  I haven't tried it any way myself, but would if it was legalized and allowed.

I've been right where you are. You feel like nobody is there to help, you can't explain your feelings and emotions to anyone bc they won't understand. I self medicated with mj for over a yr (with my pdoc's knowledge) and then one day, I just didn't have that NEED to do it. I've never been hospitalized, self injured, or overdosed. I'm 35 and have only been correctly diagnosed for 4yrs. I am still tweaking my meds for the right combo(just increased seroquel to 300mg). I like to spend time in chat bc I feel like I have real friends there. I don't have to participate if I don't feel like it, but they are still there and that helps. Hope you find the help you are looking for. If you have any ?'s for me feel free to msg me. 

We would prefer that this conversation not be continued in private; the information you have is useful to all of the members.

Weed was the only thing that kept my life together during my final year at college. I was misdiagnosed and was on the wrong meds. I was very anxiety-ridden, and weed was the only thing that calmed me down without sapping all my mental and physical energy. It s the only reason I was able to study,  get work done, and finish my degree project.

That said, after college I quit the weed (it was too expensive and a pain in the butt to get. Plus I was job-hunting and needed to be clean for potential drug tests.)

Since then I've been correctly diagnosed, and after going through a few med tweaks, I am on a cocktail that works way better than weed ever could. I know it can be a pain to go through so much trial and error with meds, but if you can find a good cocktail then it's totally worth it. My life has completely turned around because of my meds. I'd recommend talking with your pdoc and trying a few more things before you give up and rely solely on weed.

Also the panic attacks might be weed-related. That's a pretty common side-effect.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the help and advice. I'm gonna try really hard to seek out help. I'm gonna try and find another therapist.  I've about reached the end. I don't think smoking till I can't think or till I fall asleep is gonna solve this. I locked myself in my own closet last night because I was afraid of my own self. I'll be the death of my own self and I won't mean to. Thanks agian for all he help and giving me some hope. Hopefully it works out for me.