CrazyBoards.org

Combining L-Tyrosine and stimulants

I'm on Concerta, 54 mgs, and this morning I took 1000 mgs of L-Tyrosine. I've never been more focused, I sat through a two hour Theory of Knowledge class and listened to EVERYTHING. This is amazing to me.

I now realize I should have asked my pdoc if this combination is safe first. I have an appointment with her in two weeks. I wondered if you guys have any information? I haven't been able to find much on this combination, but from what I've read it appears to be safe.

Should I continue taking it?

I'm on Concerta, 54 mgs, and this morning I took 1000 mgs of L-Tyrosine. I've never been more focused, I sat through a two hour Theory of Knowledge class and listened to EVERYTHING. This is amazing to me.

I now realize I should have asked my pdoc if this combination is safe first. I have an appointment with her in two weeks. I wondered if you guys have any information? I haven't been able to find much on this combination, but from what I've read it appears to be safe.

Should I continue taking it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a precursor to dopamine and hence to noradrenaline - the neurotransmitters Concerta works on.  Concerta isn't a 24/7 reuptake inhibitor to the extent SSRIs are so I think it would be safe. From your description though, I certainly wouldn't take more than that and I'm not sure I'd take it every day.

Definitely discuss with your doctor. For all you know, it might help one of her

other patients if she has it  in on her mind.

I've read some stuff that says that it potentiates the effects of stimulants and is generally safe when starting out low and titrating up. So maybe I should go with 500 mg for a while, since I was a bit  overfocused today. (Hmm like I ever thought that was possible a year ago!)

Anyone else taking L-Tyrosine with stimulants?

I've read some stuff that says that it potentiates the effects of stimulants and is generally safe when starting out low and titrating up. So maybe I should go with 500 mg for a while, since I was a bit  overfocused today. (Hmm like I ever thought that was possible a year ago!)

Anyone else taking L-Tyrosine with stimulants?

yes, i take L-Tyrosine 2xS a day on an empty stomach with a bit of juice.  i'm also on adderall.  BUT, my doctor put me on the tyrosine to beging with because my blood levels tested very low.

as far as dosage, yeah 1000mgs to start off with is a lot.  always better to start with a low dose and go slow, and of course, ask your doctor about it.  there are studies on tyrosine and stimulants, and my doc probably isn't the only one out there having patients take tyrosine. 

but, ask your doc, and make sure you get a good quality brand, of course.

good luck.

Umm I hate the day after... I went totally manic last night and I think it had something to do with L-Tyrosine in combination with caffeine. Not good.

Caution adviced when used in bipolar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it would be more helpful to drop back 1 metabolic step and supplement

with phenylalanine instead  - again, at a lower level just in case because

it should still raise dopamine levels. And that can be problematic, as you can

see.

Umm I hate the day after... I went totally manic last night and I think it had something to do with L-Tyrosine in combination with caffeine. Not good.

Caution adviced when used in bipolar.

eek.

yeah. i'm very pro amino acid supplementation, but always with doctor supervision.

sorry you got manic. 

Maybe it would be more helpful to drop back 1 metabolic step and supplement

with phenylalanine instead  - again, at a lower level just in case because

it should still raise dopamine levels. And that can be problematic, as you can

see.

did you know that aspertame is like chock full of phenylalanine?  so a diet coke is practacially phenylalanine guzzling. 

this was one of the reasons my doctor made me get off diet coke... not that phenylalanie is bad, because it isn't (unless you are a phenylcalurtenic ... i can't spell that word and not up to googling it, meh.)  but something about drinking massive amounts of it can screw with your natural processing of it....

ok, done with the TOTAL side track here...

did you know that aspertame is like chock full of phenylalanine?  so a diet coke is practacially phenylalanine guzzling. 

this was one of the reasons my doctor made me get off diet coke... not that phenylalanie is bad, because it isn't (unless you are a phenylcalurtenic ... i can't spell that word and not up to googling it, meh.)  but something about drinking massive amounts of it can screw with your natural processing of it....

ok, done with the TOTAL side track here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a total sidetrack - I get a headache within minutes of drinking much of anything with aspartame in it.

DLPA straight - no problem at all, even with tyrosine and caffeine added.  But, my biochemistry is a

bit on the screwy side.

Archived