CrazyBoards.org

So what happens if you get a hospital bill, and/or ambulance bill, you have no insurance, cannot work out a payment plan because your medical condition prevents you from working and you don't have the funds? 

Will your credit rating be affected?  Will collection agencies still hassle you?  Can they garnish your wages if you ever do get a job?

So what happens if you get a hospital bill, and/or ambulance bill, you have no insurance, cannot work out a payment plan because your medical condition prevents you from working and you don't have the funds? 

Will your credit rating be affected?  Will collection agencies still hassle you?  Can they garnish your wages if you ever do get a job?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For my last hospitalization, while I had insurance, I had a very large copayment/out of pocket that I had no way to meet, as I was out on disability for several months, with no way to pay, and no idea when I was going back to work.  I went to the hospital's billing department and filled out an application for some kind of charity write-off. I have no idea what it was called (I was a little foggy at the time).  But that is what it amounted to.  They took all my bills into account, my rent, lights, the rather significant child support that I pay, how much I was getting in disability, and so forth.

I received the write-off.  Basically, they just took what the insurance company paid, and wrote off the rest.  It was something in the area of 3000 dollars.

Perhaps you can apply for something similar?  Check with the hospital's billing department or better yet, talk to someone in the social services department at the hospital first.

Heh, I have a Patient Assistance app right in front of me for my fiancee's neurological stuff.  This is definately one possible route.

However, for debt not covered by this sort of program, well, if it goes to collection, then yes, it WILL affect your credit rating (if they report it, that is) and they CAN hassle you over it.

However, again, my fiancee has about $6000 in collection right now, and while little or none of that is medical, she only gets a call every month or so and just tells them she still doesn't have a job, and they say "OK".

Quite a nice collection agency, really.

Archived