CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Did anyone else get sick at a young age?

I had my first psychosis when I was 14. I didn't have it again until my 20's, but I was never really well after that. I was treated for various mental problems but I've never been able to work or go back to school. I guess what I'm wondering is if you got sick when you were really young, do you think it affected your ability to learn how to do things, like work? Have you had to rely on others a lot? Or is it the same no matter what age you got sick. I guess I kind of want to know I'm not alone too.

Edited by Dusk

Does this count as psychosis: 

I realized that people could read into your emotions by the way you talk, look and your posture and tone of voice. So I decided I couldn't let anyone read in because they were going to use that information against me. So I created my facade, basically a perfect person (not really). And I'd change my handwriting all the time so no one could read into it and get information on me. I never wrote in my notebooks or anything in case my mom looked. I never shared negative opinions because I wasn't supposed to. I never trusted anyone. I also thought my stuffed animals were going to come to life and murder me. I threw them all of my bed except for one. But I would put him face down and rest my head on his back so he couldn't come to life. I stopped hugging him too in case he was going to bite my neck. 

So if that counts as psychosis in its early stages then I was psychotic at age 8. Right around the time I hit puberty. 

If that doesn't count as early psychotic signs, then somewhere in my late pre-teens or early teens. 

It affected things a lot. What I wrote, what I said, how I talk, so I stood, my gestures and mannerisms, who I befriended and the effort I put into the friendship and who I could confide it (no one). If I would've trusted people and not have thought they were going to use the info against me then I probably would've received help at an early age and not at age 21 where I was already fucked. 

If I hadn't had all of those psychotic episodes or gotten intense ones, I probably would be at a higher level of intelligence from my childhood. I was freaking smart and now I'm probably on the low end of average. I could've actually remembered what I learned in school. And done so much better instead of B.S.ing my way through college (seriously, writing assignments were my forte, so much room for B.S.ing). 

I don't really rely on others. I relied on my mom before I worked. Never trusted anyone else. I do rely on my bf and mom in terms of driving (but that's an OCD thing). I don't really rely on others at work, I don't start handing people my tasks or if I do, I do one or two and it's typically just when I'm busy not sick. 

I think if I would've gotten sick when I was in my teens it wouldn't have mattered. I probably wouldn't have sought help. And I'd end up in the same place. Not complaining about where I am now, it's good. I have a bachelors, my soul mate, a cute cat and work full time (more than full time, I've been at work for 12 hours right now, shooting for 13). The road's been insanely bumpy though. 

Edited by iaawal

guess what I'm wondering is if you got sick when you were really young, do you think it affected your ability to learn how to do things, like work? Have you had to rely on others a lot?

I wasn't diagnosed young but I know I had depression when I was younger (grade school).  I was also living in a fairly toxic environment, and I had to hide the depression and be the peace-keeper as well.  I was always afraid to ask for help in school (mainly reading comprehension) because I didn't want to fall behind the others and make it known to my parents that I was really having a hard time with it.  And all through school I never learned how to understand what I read other than fact books, ie the books that just told facts, and not a story like a novel or something.  I had to hide the depression because even when I cried I was told to just stop.  And I had to stop.  So I guess it indirectly affected my learning because I had to hide everything, not getting the help I needed.

Later on in high school I was tested for a learning disability, and Idk what the results of the test were except that because I had the testing done, I was told sarcastically, "Oh you don't have a learning disability..." and the entire thing was brushed off.  So I never was able to get help. 

I worked in a grocery store in high school and it did not affect me doing that job.  I have no idea how I made it through 5 years of college and graduated with honors, when I didn't understand what I was reading in a lot of the classes.  I could understand the factual books ok, but nothing that involved reading comprehension ... like with the English classes.  I relied on taking notes and asking questions.

I was never able to work after college because I had a psychotic break and that is when the bipolar and other diagnoses came out. 

I've relied on my parents A LOT over the years, living with them for about 5 years after college.  Also I can't drive now because mainly of panic attacks, falling asleep without notice, and the amount of medication I am on, so they drive me to appts and to do errands every week.  They don't help me out financially though.  I rely a lot on others to help me out as well.

My hallucinations started when I was 5 or 6. My first psychotic break was when I was fourteen, but I had delusional thoughts starting at ten.

I had schizotypal traits as a child and teenager. I believed at a young age that people could read my thoughts, but it didn't affect my behavior much. I did tend to have a rather wobbly sense of the boundary between reality and fiction.

I am autistic, and I found a study a couple of years ago that indicated that schizotypal traits can happen in children and teens with autism. Of course, maybe I was just schizotypal all along. I don't really know now.

Edited by Bellatrix

I was a moody kid, and impulsive, so I got in trouble a lot at home and I would scream myself to sleep in my room. I had a very hard time paying attention and sucked at math so about middle school is when the shit hit the fan. I was depressed and unfocused, all I did was cry or stare into space. I failed 2 grades. They did testing on me for learning disabilities but I never heard anything saying I had one. They put me in the "socially and emotionally disturbed" class with kids who threw chairs and desks on a daily basis. I was relieved because they didn't expect as much from me and I was one of the "good" kids in the class... but I was embarrassed to be in there too. It kind of went downhill from there with the drugs and suicidal thoughts. I also thought everyone was talking about me. They took me to see 2 psychologists, one of which I didn't like, and one of which I felt like I couldn't talk to because my mom was there. So I really didn't get any kind of help until I was really depressed at 19 and my boyfriend made me go to the dr. It really sucks, thinking that I could have gotten diagnosed much earlier and had an easier life.

I experienced my first psychosis at 10 y/o. I saw people in my shower. I talked to them, they talked back. They had names. First and last.  I would spend hours in the shower. My mom would bang on the bathroom door asking "who are you talking to?" She clearly remembers doing this to this day. I experience most of my psychosis in the bathroom to this day. I have been asked if I was sexually abused in the bathroom before ( I have not been) so there is no explanation as to why the bathroom. My psychosis is hearing voices and conversations in head since I was 10 y/o. Document typing (delusional) since I was 10 y/o. By no means was this imaginary, it followed me now into my twenties. My diagnosis is Schizoaffective disorder.

I experienced my first psychosis at 10 y/o. I saw people in my shower. I talked to them, they talked back. They had names. First and last.  I would spend hours in the shower. My mom would bang on the bathroom door asking "who are you talking to?" She clearly remembers doing this to this day. I experience most of my psychosis in the bathroom to this day. I have been asked if I was sexually abused in the bathroom before ( I have not been) so there is no explanation as to why the bathroom. My psychosis is hearing voices and conversations in head since I was 10 y/o. Document typing (delusional) since I was 10 y/o. By no means was this imaginary, it followed me now into my twenties. My diagnosis is Schizoaffective disorder.

^I experience the worst of the voices and echoes in my bedroom.  Have no idea why either.  I was also asked if I was sexually abused in my bedroom, which I haven't.

I also experience most of my mental health issues (mainly psychosis) in the bathroom. No idea why either.

I also experience most of my mental health issues (mainly psychosis) in the bathroom. No idea why either.

Toilet for me... 

The first true psychotic break i had was 15. They put me on zyprexa for six months and said it was a behavoiral tool. I was born on january first so my year correlates perfectly with the year. My true onset began around march of when i was 17. It took about six months to finally break into my illness. I was fully psychotic by the first snowfall. Ohio, so I was fully ill before my legal age of adulthood for sure. That winter was very beautiful to me. I would walk through the woods in the snow and had a psychotic delusion that i was native american. I listened to dance music, drove  a fast car, and got high a lot. Part of me still does not conform to the system. I still don't quite know why they took the sun away.

I started having psychotic episodes when I was around 15 - I was having episodes of thought broadcasting. I had a rough time for over a decade but I seemed to have turned a corner at the moment.

I had my first psychosis when I was 14. I didn't have it again until my 20's, but I was never really well after that. I was treated for various mental problems but I've never been able to work or go back to school. I guess what I'm wondering is if you got sick when you were really young, do you think it affected your ability to learn how to do things, like work? Have you had to rely on others a lot? Or is it the same no matter what age you got sick. I guess I kind of want to know I'm not alone too.

I had my first psychotic episode last year (I was 18 at the time). It for sure effects my everyday life. I rely on my parents to take care of me financially. You are not alone :)

Edited by Googhost

i was manic with psychosis in 2009. i'm 18 now but my negative symptoms are too bad right now for me to work out what age i was in 2009.. aah grr

i was manic with psychosis in 2009. i'm 18 now but my negative symptoms are too bad right now for me to work out what age i was in 2009.. aah grr

12 years old maybe?

12 years old maybe?

sounds about right. thanks for giving me a hand.

12 years old maybe?

sounds about right. thanks for giving me a hand.

No problem :)