CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I know for sure I have BP1. Both parents have/had it, along with my grandparents and siblings. My strong family history does make it hard to deny (but that doesn't stop me from denying it sometimes).

I just don't understand why several health care providers, from hospital nurses to my current pdoc, have suggested the dreaded BPD to me. I've heard it thrown at me like some kind of curse or dirty word.

When I was younger and unmedicated, my emotions were much more volitile. I did portray some classic BPD symptoms along with the BP, like having unstable relationships (due to my pushing/pulling), an unstable sense of self (what teen doesn't? Better yet, what BIPOLAR teen doesn't?!), and a heavy fear of abandonment.

My current pdoc was thinking outloud when he first met me, and suggested BPD to himself, asked me if I dissociate, which I do being that I have PTSD, and he kind of smiled to himself and said it doesn't matter, because they're treated very similiarly and are very close anyway.

WTF?? Could I be both?

You should take a look at my thread, Borderline OR Bipolar on this board.

I'm in a very similar situation, I'm sure of my BP1 diagnosis, but I do display BPD symptoms. Especially fear of abandonment. I also dissociate, but not as often anymore since being properly medicated for my BP.

My understanding is that you CAN have both, and it's not that uncommon either.

Is your bipolar stabilized by now, btw?

Helena, my BP feels stable. I'm just afraid that Seroquel is going to keep giving me nightmares.

I've read that stuff on BP vs. BPD and I guess it seems to come down to whether you are afraid of being abandoned and have unstable relationships. Yes, both!

I could have both it seems. Pass the tissues, I've just contracted a terrible disease ;)

why do they look at me and dx me without further examination, and say it like it is some insult?THEY ARE THE ASSHOLES

Here's what I do:

With me you'll find the end of your self-esteem-

men who thought that they were with the most relaxed, loving, passionate, STABLE person find themselves facing a stone-faced bitch who mercilessly reads them their faults and lets the axe fall on the relationship

i am the judge and jury, i'm smarter than you and know your true alterior motives, so i will decide what you are and what you're trying to hide, and that's all there is.

you can find yourself being counted Unworthy for any number of true or delusionary reasons, the most common is that you love someone else, someone you are obviously hung up on and obsess about- more than ME

i may love you because you are oblivious to me. that way i can love you and have unlimited freedom, and always come back to you, and you never knew i was away

i AM the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. if you do not think so then you are going to face the stone-cold bitch, the judge and jury, the end of your self-esteem

Yes, the cold and stark ability to take a normal person and reduce them to the same level of self-doubting, miserable, anxious, did i say MISERABLE level i am on?

Everyone has their buttons. we can pick them up in anyone and make them hate themselves, at least for a moment, and they'll never know they were manipulated into it.

with me you will find the end of your self-esteem. you'll know that you suck, intentionally hurt me, are thoughtless, are uncaring, and are a total asshole.

The question is, how do you diagnose someone with BPD for sure. It seems so much more complicated than say diagnosing BP. But still some pdocs give this diagnosis after a five minute talk with the patient (yes, that was me).

Sure someone can meet the official criteria for BPD, but how can you determine if it's to a degree where you actually have BPD? I'm looking forward to taking this up with my pdoc, even though I have a feeling she'll be reluctant to diagnose me with BPD, since it has such negative vibes about it. Which is crazy, in my opinion. I hate the "hierarchy" of different types of MI.

Uh Oh is right!

From what I'm reading here, I have some "symptoms".

Why this dumb hierarchy? I mean, why do we get these lables thrown our way with disgust and intolerance?

When I looked up what BPD was, and this was years ago, it said that there is a lot of screaming and such going on. I didn't realize that rather than scream I just "talk" and take any situation and blame the other person for this, and they believe they are guilty. Then I use these as something to remind them about and hang over their heads until I decide that "I can't take you hurting me anymore" and dump them, totally cold and stoney about it.

I've broken up and gotten back together with my boyfriend a couple of times in the 4 years we've been seeing each other. One time involved me making a HUGE scene at a very big exhibition gala he was having (photographer), and the second was telling him flatly that i did not want to see him again. He said I was so flat and cold that it was very, very creepy

Uh Oh is right!

From what I'm reading here, I have some "symptoms".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a expert on BPD, but from what you have posted, you seem to stay on one end of the pole, you don't alternate from one end to the other.  My understanding of BPD is that what seperates it from other personality disorders is black and white thinking.  You are either great or you are horrible.  I love you, I hate you.  I can't live with out you, you disgust me.  This is what keeps me from self-diagnosing BPD.  I think in greys.  But in the end, it doesn't really matter what the label is.  I think there should be a new DSM dx.  FUPD.  Fucked Up Personality Disorder.  I most definitely have that.

Heya,

For sure BP and BPD can run together, as can any bunch of MI, they like each other.

That's a nonsensical line, but whatever.

At this conference on the weekend, the speaker (psychiatrist) told us he hates the label "borderline."  He finds it pejorative.  It apparently got its start as part of the even more bizarre term, "borderline schizophrenic."

He said he would like to see this particular constellation of symptoms renamed, "self-identity disorder."

That to me sounded a lot more descriptive and less, well, less frankly discriminatory than "borderline."

Even gives you clues to how to treat it.

... sorry, that's a bit off-topic for your thread Loon.

But yes, they can run together.

The importance of figuring out if BPD is in there is that the treatment may differ -- different therapy, I guess.  Therapy is not one of my strong suits.

As I posted on your other thread, hey, as long as the treatment makes you feel better, try not to worry too much about DSM boxes, let the docs deal with that crap.

--ncc--

• 2 months later...

i have also been told I might have BPD (I'm BPII).

I'm very clearly not BPD: i have stable relationships and a stable sense of my identity.  Just not stable emotions.

I think its often what happens when a doctor thinks you're manipulative or annoying.  Part of countertransferrance (thats the right word, yeah?). 

Not that I'm manipulative or annoying, so I don't know what they're on ;)

I'm sure I have both BP and BPD. 

I am the classic psycho girlfriend who is suspicious, jealous and desperately preoccupied with being abandoned by my bf, despite the fact that he has never given me any reason not to trust.  However, the borderline crap is virtually gone since I went on my Effexor/Seroquel combo. 

Before the meds, "the monster" as I like to call her would come out in full force about once a month (PMS time of course) and I would create some horrible scenario in my head regarding my relationship being a sham.  I can't count the number of times I tried to dump him out of fear he would cheat or leave me.  Of course I never wanted him to leave.  It was some sort of sick test.  He was always having to prove his devotion.

It amazes me he's still here.  I'm extremely lucky.

As a fellow, but male, "I-think-you-have-BPD-says-the-pdoc" individual, might I let you know, that if I accidentally happen to date a girl who has the same issue (though I'm so picky that I tend to screen first), and she gives me any of this crap, I will quickly proceed to destroy her. :-)

Sorry, I just enjoy watching my enemies burn.  Two BPDs are NOT a match made in Heaven.  hehehehehehe.

well i just thought i would add to this because i have been given a dual diagnosis of bp2 and bpd, so yes there are people out there who are "both" i try not to get to caught up in the label because i over think everything. i am just trying to live my life and at least with the dual diagnosis i can kind of see where i am going wrong and what i need to concentrate on fixing.

so yes u can be both, and f8ck anyone who thinks being BPD is a bad thing, they cant judge. an illness is an illness no matter how nasty it is. it isnt my fault i was born and raised the way i was. saying its a bad MI or such isnt going to make it any better for the people who have it.

I have no interest in getting the "official" BPD diagnoses. 

From what I have read, there is no advantage to aquiring the label and little treatment available.  The combination of Effexor and Seroquel have basically "cured" me from the borderline thinking and behaviour.  The addition of a low dose of Seroquel in my case seemed to have killed the last bit of it.

Dee

• 3 weeks later...

Yes one can have both Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. That is my exact diagnosis. I'm not quite sure why you think that one can't be both. There are some people in this world with 5 diagnosies at one time. There is no rule that states that a person can't have more than one mental illness at a time.

Archived