CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
ten.tries

Website like Elance but for people with MI: is there one? Because there should be!

So I have bipolar 2 and prefer to work at home because of it, and I rely on all these websites for freelancers to find jobs. But I'm at a place where I feel like working will always be a struggle because the world prefers healthy people and it's not always kind to people who occasionally need extensions because they woke up depressed.

Clients need to work with people they can trust with deadlines and all that shit. I know that. I'm still struggling with the idea that I shouldn't get special treatment just because I'm diagnosed with a mental disorder, but shit gets real sometimes, y'know?

So I just thought, Man, I wish there was a website that offers all kinds of jobs specifically for people with MIs. Clients don't have to treat you like a special snowflake, but they're at least open-minded and want to give you a shot anyways. I don't know. I'm rambling.

Is there something like this that exists? Where is this utopia?

I haven't heard of such a site, but it sounds like a great idea. There is a dating site for people with MI. Perhaps you should create a job site it if it doesn't exist. You would be helping a lot of people. Yet, I think it might be stymied by the fact that MI is considered a disability. I don't know if employers want that kind of liability.

Hey Velvet, I've been published locally a couple of times, but I prefer working as an editor. I found my current client through Elance, and they're great and the website's great, but man, I get so freaked out when I'm looking for jobs. I feel like everything's "WE NEED YOU TO DO THIS AND BE THAT AND ALL THE THINGS ONLY HEALTHY PEOPLE CAN DO. ARE YOU HEALTHY?? CAN YOU REALLY DO THIS??? REALLY????" haha.

Sam, what is this dating website? Haha. 

Yet, I think it might be stymied by the fact that MI is considered a disability. I don't know if employers want that kind of liability.

Me too. But maybe there are kind people left out there, who knows haha.

I'm a freelancer. I'm not the only one of my co-workers with MI, and alcoholism runs rampant through the industry. With us as long as we can present a professional image on the job then whatever it takes to get there during our free time is just at our discretion.

One of the clients is openly MI himself but again, the end client still expects us to be professional and deliver on time so as long as that's possible then whatever it takes to get there is just left unsaid.

It's not the most forgiving but it could be much worse, too.

I don't know of any specific freelancing and MI services though. I just do my best and if that means more therapy that week then that's what it takes for me.

I'm not the only one of my co-workers with MI, and alcoholism runs rampant through the industry. With us as long as we can present a professional image on the job then whatever it takes to get there during our free time is just at our discretion.

I didn't know you were a lawyer, Rosie. *snort*

See, every industry I've seen tries to claim this (lawyers, surgeons, actuaries, bankers, pharmaceutical companies, etc). Such things run rampant throughout society but are swept under the rug by most.

Sam, what is this dating website? Haha. 

Yet, I think it might be stymied by the fact that MI is considered a disability. I don't know if employers want that kind of liability.

Me too. But maybe there are kind people left out there, who knows haha.

Ten, here's a NY Times article which mentions it, among other sites for people with disabilities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/health/28dating.html?_r=0

See, every industry I've seen tries to claim this (lawyers, surgeons, actuaries, bankers, pharmaceutical companies, etc). Such things run rampant throughout society but are swept under the rug by most.

That is probably true. But the Bar Course companies (you probably know this, but you take a 3 month course before you take the Bar) gave us free beer every Friday. 'Cause they loved us that much. Heh.

I have no idea what your skill set is but have you looked at craigslist?  I've found freelance geek work through there, low end web development and that kind of thing.

To freelance what you do is

1. Have a skill.

2. Have a portfolio or way of demonstrating your skill

3. Advertise your skill or look for people advertising looking for your sill.

Look at at the jobs people are offering to do for money on craigslist and see if any of them are things you can do or learn to do.