CrazyBoards.org

can't work normal hours

If you have struggled your entire life with living the 8-5 life and just can't hack getting up at the crack ass of dawn, do you think it is ok to throw in the towel and just try to find jobs that don't start in the morning? 

I'm feeling conflicted because I haven't had a job in quite a long time and got an interview for a part time job, which is great, but of course the job starts at 8am.  Part of me says that at this point I should take whatever I can get, but another says I'll feel like shit all the time from lack of sleep and make myself miserable in the process.  My mother claims that even as an infant (?!) I would go to sleep at a late time and thinks that it is something I cannot change.  In the past, I've almost been fired from and had to quit jobs that started at 8am, I missed morning classes all the time, and was even late to tests because I just can't get up that early, and of course I was miserable all the time from lack of sleep.  I'm pretty sure I have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. 

Anyone have any opinions on whether I should try to change or if I should just accept it and plan my life accordingly?

This is a tough decision.  Please weigh your options carefully.  I realize the desire to go back to work is strong, but please make sure you aren't putting yourself in a worse situation. 

It is tough for people with MI to get the accommodations they need. It's tough for people with MI to get a job (if people know).  For me, it's tough being the new kid (the newest person on staff).  So with all of those things known, I think it might be best to put yourself in a place that starts off right.

And, it sounds to me like that would be a job that starts later in the day.  Have you ever thought about going to the Vocational Rehabilitation folks?  Or your local community mental health center?  or the local employment office?  They know of jobs that start in the afternoon and can help you find one.

I hope that helps.  I hope I don't sound negative or high and mighty.  I try to remain positive, but it's hard sometimes. 

It's a rough environment, but most post office jobs start in the afternoon or later.  I worked there for nearly seven years.  It will probably be difficult to ever get any kind of full-time status or benefits, though, and they will work you way too many hours.

Retail is difficult for many MI people due to the customers, but if one can handle that, the hours generally are fairly late, especially if you are willing to work the closing shifts [which many do not wish to work.] 

I have to get up early now for a part-time job and sometimes have trouble with that, but I am able to catch up on sleep the days I don't work.  Don't know if that would work for you, however. 

Just curious, how do you even find out if the post office has job openings?  I've never been able to figure that out.  And how is it a rough environment.

Heidi, no I didn't think you sounded negative.  I agree that this job would not work for me at this time.  I called them and told them that and they want to interview me anyway, because they have openings frequently.  So I guess it all worked out for the best.

Hollywood, That's fucking awesome!  Interviews are good practice.  It sounds like they like you and that's gotta feel good too.

So, what's your next step?

P.S.  Thanks for the personal reply, sometimes I feel so invisible, it's nice to be noticed (in a good way).

The post office is probably one of the most negative, toxic work environments as far as people's attitudes, supervisors and co-workers bullying people, etc...they're very big into "management by intimidation."  No one there likes being there, and a lot of people take it out on co-workers or subordinates. 

I think you could ask for information at your local post office--there should be some kind of number for a personnel office in your region.

But the temporary people get worked like crazy, and generally they don't have much intention of hiring anyone on a permanent basis--they're trying to cut back as much as possible.

I wouldn't work during the day for any amount of money. Ditto the afternoon. The thought of a job that starts before 10PM is nightmarish. Consider just a few of the advantages of 3rd:

- You're surrounded by fewer people and the standards are more lax.

- You can sleep in the morning or afternoon.

- Due to its unpopularity, it's easier to get a job on 3rd.

- No rush-hour on the way to work; sweet, sweet Schadenfreude on the way home.

- Your p-doc will caution you against it, but rest assured: lots of people thrive on third-shift (even a few nutty ones).

I should throw in the mandatory warning: unless you're naturally a night-owl, you may not like it. If you try it, one piece of advice: you MUST keep the same sleeping schedule on your nights off.

Archived