CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

my neuro sent me a letter saying he'd forgotten to mentionm tthat the 2 lead ecg they do as part of an eeg shhowed up an "intraventricular conduction abnormaility" and I should have a full ecg done. Does anyone know what that means, I tried googling it and it came up with gibberish.

Thanks

Dan

Hi,

my neuro sent me a letter saying he'd forgotten to mentionm tthat the 2 lead ecg they do as part of an eeg shhowed up an "intraventricular conduction abnormaility" and I should have a full ecg done. Does anyone know what that means, I tried googling it and it came up with gibberish.

Thanks

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, man, but it sounds baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Just kidding. But what I do know from personal experience is, trust me, the really bad news comes by phone call--not letters, and I'm sure the smartypants (bowing to their wisdom and no I'm not being sarcastic) will get back to you as soon as they wake up.

Don't panic.

HB

Hi,

Thanks

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, man, but it sounds baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Just kidding. But what I do know from personal experience is, trust me, the really bad news comes by phone call--not letters, and I'm sure the smartypants (bowing to their wisdom and no I'm not being sarcastic) will get back to you as soon as they wake up.

Don't panic.

HB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HB is right.  The really bad phone news generally usually doesn't come by phone call.  An intraventricular conduction abnormality is an electrical problem in how the ventricles of your heart beat, or rather, how they are triggered to beat.  Your heart has two ventricles, which are very strong pumps.  The left, especially, pumps blood from the heart to the entire body.

The most common ventricular conduction abnormality is called a PVC, or a premature ventricular contraction.  It is an electrical abnormality that causes your ventrical to throw an extra beat in, just before the regular beat.  You'd feel it a "skipping" sensation, or maybe not at all.

They can be a big deal, or no deal at all.  I get them when I've gone overboard on caffiene.  An EKG will show them, and better yet, a special 24 hour EKG called a Holter monitor.

There are a number of other conduction abnormalities that are more rare, but that's the most common.  Start with the EKG, and remember--if it were a big deal, they wouldn't have just called you!!

Take care ;)

Heya dan,

Anelize does a good job explaining the next steps.

Basically, the little 2-lead ECG you had is a snapshot of the electrical activity in your heart, a printout of what your heartbeat looked like over a very short time.

You might have had a slightly delayed beat or two.  You might have had a pattern that looked like the electricity spread unevenly through your heart.

Basically, sometimes the impulse still spreads all over your heart causing a normal-enough beat, but a bit off-centre or unsynchronized.

Most IVCDs are normal, as Anelize said.  Everyone skips beats or has funny beats once in a while.

This is not dangerous.

And your 2-lead is not diagnostic of anything.

Likely the next step is indeed a history and physical, plus a 12-lead ECG (more stickies all over you) and, if it looks slightly off still, a 24- or 48-hour Holter monitor -- it records your ECG that whole time, so if there's something off-and-on it will pick it up.

If you're walking and talking and feeling okay, just do the follow-up with your FP or internist or whoever.

And BTW I'm very impressed with a neurologist that actually interprets and follows up on an ECG abnormality.

--ncc--

Yes, you shouldn't get all upset right now about it, that is a common thing to have. You also can't get much more than a very basic EKG from 2-leads. Basically those are used in a cardiac rehab setting and don't have much use outside of the exercise room.

Even rehab places use 3-leads now.

Archived