CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
The Right Honourable Jimmy

How long can you go without sleep?

I haven't slept for 4 days and I'm wondering what would happen if I keep going on like this. I started taking sleeping pills yesterday but they don't seem to work. I'm kinda losing it and seeing and hearing things that aren't there probably because of tiredness and it's kinda why I can't sleep too now...

What would happen if I keep going on like this, I just can't switch off..

You'll get sick. You can die from not sleeping, although not in 4 days (that is not a challenge). Just lie down with your eyes closed for a couple of hours at a time, if that is all you can do. And maybe you'll fall asleep, but even if not, you'll get some rest. I managed to fall asleep the 4th day, but I was hallucinating at that point.

Laying down helps. It can take hours before you fall asleep but your body might eventually tire out and sleep. 

I have found that consuming large amounts of coffee leads to an inevitable crash and that'll speed up the process and I eventually fall asleep. 

When is your next pdoc appointment? And if it isn't soon, by which I mean within a week, can you call and talk to him/her over the phone? Because not sleeping is very serious if you're bipolar. There is absolutely nothing that destabilizes me faster, and insomnia with bipolar can be very weird. I once went nine months without getting any meaningful sleep, and by the end of that period I was batshit insane, and it took several years to put my brain back together.

If you don't manage to get some sleep in the next 24-48 hours, I recommend going to the emerency room. Tell thm you're bipolar and haven't slept since...what, Tuesday?

I agree with crtclms ... just lying down might be helpful.  Even if you don't fall asleep, rest is better than nothing.

I might advise against caffeine. It normally helps me fall asleep but if I'm having trouble sleeping it might not. I'm not a doctor nor quailfied to give any advice, but that would be my suggestion. I'd head to the ER if you don't sleep soon.

I went without sleep for around eleven days once, and have gone without sleep for a week or more several other times.  I haven't had hallucinations beyond, like, thinking I saw a spider run by, or thinking that there was something behind me in my peripheral vision.  I just felt incredibly bad, couldn't do much of anything (especially mentally), and experienced sudden aging (lines in skin, thinning of skin, fat loss, permanent worsening of the darkness and bags under my eyes).  I am not bipolar.

Edited by cara23

You could try getting a ton of exercise... like hike/walk 10 miles or run as much as you can.  

You can die from not sleeping. My previous psychiatrist (or someone? ) told me that if mania goes unchecked some people drop dead from exhaustion.

I made it to a week and I was seeing lights on the outside edge of my vision but what was really not good was that I was being kept up by this one guy who I became crazy angry at.   I can totally see how you can die from it.  I can also see how bad guys use sleep deprivation as a torture.

Seems all of us insomniacs would qualify going through Navy SEAL's hell week training. lol. Of course not by choice.

They train staying up for 5 days without sleep. 

I stayed up 70 hours max and went to urgent care. They gave me Zyprexa to knock me out but it doesn't work anymore.

Edited by snd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Never been a morning person, but getting up is becoming more a problem. I read about "Sleep Inertia" when you wake up during REM cycle and then feel intensely groggy, foggy (like drunk) when you get up. For me this state lasts over an hour. Is this a (too much) Melatonin thing?
      I sleep like a log through the night. I've experimented with my routine, 8-10 hours, and regardless, I get this groggy drunk feeling every morning when I get up, even after coffee and meds. It takes forever to wear off!
      Anyone know a cheap sleep tracker? I probably oversleep, but regardless 8 or 10 hours, I feel this way. I set my alarm across the room and usually snooze a couple times because it is literally impossible for me to get up.
    • By Blart752
      I've had sleep troubles while on zyprexa, is that because it isn't indicated for people with concomitant insomnia??  I wouldn't sleep on it, or i would sleep for like 10-12 hours.  
      Because of that and because my current regimen isn't working as much is there any way to take it PRN low dose if i talk to the doctor about it?  Because I can take it like once or twice and it doesn't affect my sleep.
    • By Drjekyll
      I am diagnosed bipolar 2, OCD, GAD, and at one point ADHD although the psychs can’t decide if it’s true or not.

my cocktail:
      wellbutrin xl 450 mg in morning
      lamictal 200mg at night
      lexapro 10mg morning for the GAD and OCD my OCD is the obsessive thoughts type.

My issue being mainly that I lack motivation and am tired all the time as well very hungry and have gained weight but can’t find the hunger control to diet and can’t find the motivation to exercise.
      yes it’s terrible and could be affecting all of this but for years it’s the only way I can function half a pot or a whole pot of coffee in the morning and  occasionally a monster or two in the afternoon I practically live on caffeine.
      i sleep ok usually about 7-8 hours a night.
      luckily I have a job currently although I’m a serial job hopper.
      somehow I have a wife and daughter who put up with me. I’m on my 20’s
      im 6 foot tall and was originally 225 when I was exercising but after wife’s pregnancy and post partum and life of course I’m now 289.
      just trying to see if anyone has experienced similar cocktails because although I’ve been under treatment off and on since 15 I have honestly not tried many meds more so favoring trying different doses of the same med because I have enough of a hard time holding a job without the med game happening.
      i have tried seroquel which is a never again
      strattera which messed with blood pressure. Gabapentin which is absolutely not. Adderall which was obviously awesome but is likely bad for the bipolar. Abilify which made me feel mentally handicapped. Buspar which made me practically forget my own name. 

Just found this place and basically looking for any experiences, thoughts etc.

• By de414
      My old psych-NP gave me seroquel for sleep around the end of December last year. I haven't taken it every night as she wanted or else I wouldn't be still sitting here almost 11 months later with around 50 or 60 25mg pills left.
      I have used it randomly for particularly tough nights where I know I can't sleep or I just feel really amped up/anxious and don't want to take more than 1mg of Klonopin.
      Is this ok to do?
      When I do use it, it ranges from 25-75mg and I sleep like a baby.
    • By Dewey
      Here is my sleep report from my FitBit:
      Time Sent in each stage of sleep:
      Awake 18% - 1 hr. 45 min
      REM 17% - 1 hr. 41 min
      Light 46% - 4 hours 29 min
      Deep 18% 1 hr. 47 min